10 Ways Android still beats the new iPhone 5

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I think a lot of the customization people speak of is in Widgets and launchers etc. Android isn't perfect. We have a long way to go. But having a company that is focused on trying to keep things open as well as efficient excites me. The very thing that makes us upset regarding updates is the very thing that makes android what it is. I don't know what phone you are using but I am sure the experience is still great regardless of what is it is running. My daughter uses my old HTC desire that is running Froyo and is still works well. We get upgrade happy thinking we are missing out on something big when I really don't think it is as big of a deal as we think. My altimeter has GB when it came out. I upgraded it to iCS and now to JB. Are the upgrades nice? Sure. Are they overwhelmingly important to my experience in the Google eco system? Nope. GB still did tons of things that ios never could.

Do we need android to get even better? Hell ya.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

I agree for the most part. I think the updates are necessary as we get more demanding hardware and apps. Yeah, not perfect, but it's good.

Using the GS3 and I have a Nexus 7. Seeing the difference between the two though makes me want JB on the GS3.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Only the Nexii (and G1) are pure Android devices. Your GS3 and all others are Android-based roms...also known as skins. No offense, but by this comment it looks like you didn't do your homework. Touchwiz, Sense, Blur etc. will all have the same base but can also be very different experiences. Even between each versions of each OEM's build. Rooting or not, which I enthusiastically say root, this is one of many reasons I'll only be purchasing Nexii devices from here on out. At least with all things being equal as we know them in 2012.

Me too. I'm going Nexii (love that word btw) next time for sure.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I know exactly what skins are. I use the device every day since the phone launched, so I've done plenty of homework.

If you have a GS3. The JB update will be here soon enough. I think the release was announced to be happening in October.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Buying another device is not a simple fix. Google should take control and push the updates out, it's not that it's just a newer update, but it makes significant differences in the way the is operates. Maybe I will buy a pure google device when my contract is up. But in the mean time it is not a simple fix.

I'm not condemning android, I use the damn thing on 2 devices, I think making the claim by most android fans, not you necessarily, that its open and completely customizable is a farce. And I very much agree its a better option than what is given in iOS. It may not be a critical thing to you, but saying default android is full of options, is simply not true.

First of all, guess you missed my no offense part of my last comment. Take it easy:p. What's meant by open source is that it's public information such that Google makes their AOSP code readily available for any and all to do whatever they wish with it. You cannot get any more open and customizable than that. Forcing anyone to do anything simply doesn't fit with Google's business model. Of course, that brings pros and cons. IMO, really only brings cons if you don't/won't/can't root and/or don't have Nexii.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
First of all, guess you missed my no offense part of my last comment. Take it easy:p. What's meant by open source is that it's public information such that Google makes their AOSP code readily available for any and all to do whatever they wish with it. You cannot get any more open and customizable than that. Forcing anyone to do anything simply doesn't fit with Google's business model. Of course, that brings pros and cons. IMO, really only brings cons if you don't/won't/can't root and/or don't have Nexii.

Lol. I'm not offended. I understand what you mean though. I know what open source is. I've used Linux in the past.

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Just so ya guys know Android doesn't have a default file manager... t

And the article doesn't realize that hooking Android up to USB does not give full file system access... just the SD partition

Google wants Android to have different versions manufacturers want to differentiate and Google wants manufacturer support.

Android will probably never be as ideal an environment for development as iOS... but that doesn't mean iOS is better

Android is simply an awesome smartphone OS... .. iPhone will remain the gold standard for mobile phones for some time...( android will have its advantages in some areas)

But Android is not meant to be ONLY for those who want the best... it's meant to help the industry to offer a wide variety of smartphones... not everyone needs or even wants the ultimate gold standard phone.. Android has allowed many smartphone users to have access to a great ecosystem that, though fragmented, allows far more cross compatibility than would otherwise have been the case...

(It even has it's own phones which are as good or better than iPhones so the ecosystem runs the full range!)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

charveldude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
My experience as a former iPhone 3GS user is that the iOS might be better for the casual or first-time smart phone user. You don't have to think as much about it in order to use it successfully, and I found fewer glitches than I do with Android--though JB is getting much closer to being glitch-free.

However, after having my 3GS for a year or so, I began to be irritated by the interface and limitations--and iTunes is a major piece of garbage and a real turn-off. I was starting to use my 3GS more and more as an on-the-go computer and less as a "phone with benefits." And frankly, Android works considerably better as a mini-computer than iOS does. The greater level of customization allows me to get more out of the GNex more with less effort than with the iPhone. I'm not 100% sold with Google Now, but I've already started using it and can see the huge potential for it. The future is in predictive technology, and this could be the start of something big.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Just so ya guys know Android doesn't have a default file manager...

Well my HTC desire, Sgs2 and both my Asus tablets all came with out of the box file managers so not sure what you are talking about.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Pano in S3. Great news. Can you tell me the steps to get there? I don't have an S3 but a coworker couldn't figure out how to do panoramic photos on her S3. Help would be appreciated.

When in the camera app on the left hand side there is an icon that looks like a frame, it's right in the center of all the icons. Click on this.

This is the shooting menu.

Scroll down and select the panorama option

You're all done. :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1348870412.429785.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1348870412.429785.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 85

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
it has NOT been on the iphone. u just said it. 3RD PARTY apps have it. not the iphone but a 3rd party until apple realized oh well i guess people want it, lets add it and pretend we invented it.

BINGO! Hit the nail on the head.

Then they pretend they invented it and mindless iSheep eat it up. It's pretty pathetic really.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree for the most part. I think the updates are necessary as we get more demanding hardware and apps. Yeah, not perfect, but it's good.

Using the GS3 and I have a Nexus 7. Seeing the difference between the two though makes me want JB on the GS3.

I just got the JB update on my Transformer Prime and I am a bit underwhelmed by the feel of it. It's definitely faster than ics but I was expecting more with project butter. This has always been the thing Apple has had on Android. Their touch screen is so responsive. I still wouldn't trade it for an iPad but... Just wish it was better.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Well my HTC desire, Sgs2 and both my Asus tablets all came with out of the box file managers so not sure what you are talking about.

I'm talking about stock though... most manufacturers add them but it's not part of pure Android

You can certainly access SD/internal storage but it's not the whole phone...

(though you can access other parts easily enough)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm talking about stock though... most manufacturers add them but it's not part of pure Android

Well stock for me is whatever comes out of the box. 3 devices all had it. The asus tabs are supposed to be pure android so I don't know. Maybe the Gnex doesn't but out of the 50 or so choices in android phones I would bet 45 or more have a file manager.

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by vivek615

Well stock for me is whatever comes out of the box. 3 devices all had it. The asus tabs are supposed to be pure android so I don't know. Maybe the Gnex doesn't but out of the 50 or so choices in android phones I would bet 45 or more have a file manager.

Don't have the #s and your point makes sense... just trying to be accurate by stating that it's not inherent...