Random Reboots w/ JB 4.1.1 STOCK

ksat

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey all...

Thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone else is having any issues. I have a fully stock (minus unlocked Bootloader) VZW GN w/ JB 4.1.1. Prior to the upgrade, the only noticeable issues I had was with the radios (WiFi and LTE) not reestablishing a connection. However, after the OTA update to JB 4.1.1, I've been seeing a number of random reboots. I can't really tie it to any specific actions or currently running application or functions within an application - it's pretty random. *Never* saw this before when I was still on ICS 4.0.4 and it's a bit disheartening.

I know - the typical response will be FLASH something else. But, I rather like my stock configuration at the moment and would rather just use my phone rather than tinker with it all the time.

Anyone else seeing similar results/symptoms from their GN? Any root cause ideas floating around?

Thanks!
KSAT

ByteMaster0

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Same issue. Sometimes happens while listening to music on Bluetooth, sometimes while on the phone on Bluetooth, other times for no reason at all. Frustrating, especially when it happens during a phonecall. Relative frequency is about once every day or two, other times I can go a week without a reboot. I didn't have any radio problems with 4.0.4.

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I have suspicions that I've been having random reboots, but I've only actually witnessed it in a reboot once. And I have NO clue what could be causing it, as it's always seemed to just happen when the phone has been idle and the screen has been off. I'll pick it up, turn it on and all seems fine but if hit the task switcher to bring up a program I was previously using, there won't be anything in ther, except maybe one item. And I'm sure it hasn't been the OS that has "closed" those other apps, since it generally hasn't been long enough since I had last used it that it should have needed to clear things out. Only once have I picked it up, and before even hitting the screen on button notice that colorful little nexus "x" from the reboot animation (which I like WAY better than the previously animation just for the record...lol). But I can only assume it has happened several times (maybe 4 at most) over the past couple of weeks+ (got the OTA on Sunday the 23rd).....

reMarkable#AC

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah - I get that too sometimes - I've even caught the phone doing it when it's plugged into the charger by itself - just spontaneously re-booting. Seem very random.

reMarkable#AC

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah - I get that too sometimes - I've even caught the phone doing it when it's plugged into the charger by itself - just spontaneously re-booting. Seems very random.

kmully

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Happening to me too... would love to know a fix. Annoying. I had no problems with my phone on stock ICS, never rooted or did anything... now unstable.

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
its strange but I have absolutely NO random reboots since the JB update, on 4.0.2 it happened 2 or 3 times a day...on 4.0.4 it was about once or twice a day...my 4g signal strength at my house has suffered since JB and my free tethering is broken but no reboots...I think I got one of the few "good" Nexus' and the updates has the reverse effect on the problems most people were having...I may have to root...been thinking about it...still waiting to see if anyone figures out how to fix the little issues

drkokandy

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I am having this issue too. I was also suffering random reboots while using Android ICS 4.0.2, but it was solved when they updated to 4.0.4. Now I'm having the same problem on Jellybean 4.1.1. I guess they really did no testing in the months it took them to push JB to the Verizon GNex.

My issues have never occurred while using a Bluetooth device, although I do play music via Bluetooth, make calls via Bluetooth, and use a Bluetooth keyboard on occasion.
Usually it will happen when the screen is not on. Sometimes immediately after I've stopped using it, sometimes when I haven't been using it for quite some time.
I also have stock Jellybean, but I have an unlocked bootloader. I was rooted on ICS, but I have not rerooted.

If you suspect your phone has rebooted, check your battery graph in Settings > Battery. I see black lines that correspond to the reboot times. Oddly enough, under System > About phone > Status > Up time, the time will not reflect the reboot.

Last edited:

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I've had a few random freezes/reboots since upgrading to JB as well. For me, it happens somtimes after I turn the screen off. When I try to turn it back on, nothing happens...screen remains black, then after about a min, the boot up Nexus logo comes on and the phone restarts.

Have a feeling that this may be fixed in the 4.1.2 release...so quickly after 4.1.1 came out.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
...If you suspect your phone has rebooted, check your battery graph in Settings > Battery. I see black lines that correspond to the reboot times. Oddly enough, under System > About phone > Status > Up time, the time will not reflect the reboot.

Yes, the battery display will show the reboot activity. Another alternative is to use the free app Reboot Logger, which will conveniently track any reboot activity, and doesn't impact battery drain. I've also experienced the occasional spontaneous reboots on JB, on 2 different VZN GNs, but I also saw them on ICS, and on older Android OSs on my former Droid X, most typically right after ending a long intensive activity, such as a Navigation, or Netflix session .

I've nicknamed those spontaneous reboots as stealth reboots, because they don't clear the Uptime Counter, so they mostly go unnoticed, unless you happen to be using the phone at the time of the occurrence. Reboot Logger is the easiest and most reliable mechanism to track the reboot activity.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

deeler

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I also have this problem where it seems to reboot (screen blacks out then runs the loading splash screen). I have noticed however that the up time listed under About-Status doesn't reset nor does it ask me to decrypt my device like a normal reboot. I don't listen to music or use bluetooth on my Nexus so it seems really random.

Also, I've had a lot of issues with my phone reconncting to cell service when switching off wifi. I have to reboot for it to reconnect. Anyone else having that issue?

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I also have this problem where it seems to reboot (screen blacks out then runs the loading splash screen). I have noticed however that the up time listed under About-Status doesn't reset nor does it ask me to decrypt my device like a normal reboot. I don't listen to music or use bluetooth on my Nexus so it seems really random.

Also, I've had a lot of issues with my phone reconncting to cell service when switching off wifi. I have to reboot for it to reconnect. Anyone else having that issue?

In your first paragraph you are talking about the same behavior that I described in my post #11, so you are not alone with that one.

I haven't had the cell reconnect issue, though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

only1canoli

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Did a hard reset over the weekend, seems to help with my rebooting problem. Knock on wood! :eek:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Zooks64

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I did a dirty flash upgrade to 4.1.1 and suffered random reboots.

I broke down and flashed the stock image last night.

Haven't had any reboots since... knock on wood.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Zooks64

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
So, I finally got tired of it and reflashed the stock rom on to my Nexus. It still did it's random reboot thing so I had it replaced under warranty.

Annnnnnnnd, the replacement phone has also done the random reboot. I'm really getting annoyed with this. If I knew the next update would be out before the end of the warranty on this replacement I would wait.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
So, I finally got tired of it and reflashed the stock rom on to my Nexus. It still did it's random reboot thing so I had it replaced under warranty.

Annnnnnnnd, the replacement phone has also done the random reboot. I'm really getting annoyed with this. If I knew the next update would be out before the end of the warranty on this replacement I would wait.

I've had four android phones (2 different models) and two tablets, with OS from Froyo to JB, and every one of them has randomly rebooted. Most of the reboots would have been unobserved, since they don't reset the uptime counter, but I know they are real because the Reboot Logger app reports each of them, and once in a while I observe the occurrences while I am using the device.

The longest I've ever gone is 12+ days between them. After obsessing about it, and trying to isolate and fix it for the first couple of years, I finally have resolved that as long as they are infrequent, I consider it as the nature of the OS - and not something I can do anything about.

mikebear

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I get the random reboots too, but mine also starting doing this reboot at night, but it doesn't come back up. This was a huge problem for me because my GN is my alarm clock. I overslept twice in one week. When I get up and hold the power button, nothing happens, no response, I have to remove and replace the battery before it will boot again. Now I'm using my N10 as an alarm.

rcw119

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Ditto. I often don't have the patience to wait for it to reboot from the black screen and pull the battery. It happens on average once of twice a day. All since JB. I had no major issues prior to that.

I've been tempted to do a Factory Reset. For those that have tried that - has there been success? I'm guessing not since those that have flashed or replaced their phones have not had success.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey