Ordered a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, worked great until... ?

gospodinjuha

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I'm going to try and make this as short as possible. I bought this phone on eBay. "Manufacture Refurbished". I had to get a new SIM b/c my old Tbolt SIM doesn't fit obviously. Anyway, I activate it at the store and go home. I send two successful SMS to my wife and she sends me one back. I get a notification of the JB OTA and it installs successfully. I turn on my TBolt to prepare a unroot, factory reset (forgetting my SIM is still in the phone). I then notice that the Nexus doesn't have a signal. I shut off both phones and leave the Tbolt off, reboot the Nexus and still no signal. It doesn't even try to make a call, it just says "Mobile network unavailable".

I then get on the phone with Verizon and have them re-activate the Nexus on their side, they go through the normal troubleshooting, Factory reset, yada yada. Still nothing. Then, I tell them to re-activate my Tbolt and they said the system wouldn't allow them to do so. So, I jump in the car and head to the Verizon store. I tell them the story and they try to activate another SIM for my Nexus. Again, it will not find a signal. After tinkering with it for an hour, he tells me to return it that it's probably defective. But... how did it send those two texts? This is blowing my mind, and I really don't want to send it back unless I have to. Does anyone have any suggestions. I do welcome obvious answers, i.e. airplane mode, etc. However I do think I've checked all of those. Thank you in advance, and I would really appreciate any input if you have it.

BossDukes

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Look in about phone and see if it has a PRL.... I know at my job phone's come in with the same problem and they are missing the PRL

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

optimum5

Jan 27, 2011
albert5x5.com
I had something somewhat similar happen to me... or maybe not, but here goes.

Bought the Verizon Galaxy Nexus second hand from eBay. Checked with Verizon to see if the PRL is still valid. It is. While I was transferring all my personal files off my Thunderbolt into my PC's external hard drive, I was at the same time rooting the GNEX and installing a JellyBean ROM into it. Went to Verizon, got a new sim card and transferred my phone number to the GNEX, noticed 4G was up and running, did a speed test, and it all seemed fine. Now I did not send an SMS or made a call with it, and as I was walking away from Verizon, I noticed that I couldn't do either function (but mobile data was still running).

Went back to Verizon and they couldn't figure out why I have data but was not connected to the network. They transferred my number back to the Thunderbolt (worked fine), gave me another sim card, then transferred my number back to the GNEX, but this time I couldn't get either the mobile network OR mobile data. Then I wondered if rooting it prior to activating my number on it in fact made a difference. I then factory resetted the GNEX to original Verizon settings, got yet another sim card, then transferred my number back to it afterward. Wouldn't you know it, everything works as it should. So after that's established, I rooted it again, installed a ROM, and alls well that ends well.

Don't know why this happened, but I can only guess that since it was a rooted ROM on the phone, Verizon couldn't determine that it was a legitimate device without having those Verizon apps / settings on it.

gospodinjuha

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I finally got it working. Apparently Verizon gave me 2 broken SIM cards. I had them replace it again and magically it worked. Thanks for your help everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49