Android 4.2

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
looking forward to 4.2....assuming souce will drop on launch day as well as it getting pushed to the other nexus devices (think the Nexus S will get it?)
really like what they did on the camera (the entire thing, not just photosphere)
widgets from the lock screen....seems interesting
quick settings are a welcome addition.
user profiles, i wont use them
Gesture typing....uuuuhhh...yes please. yeah i know swype has been around forever, but i love the native support. one less app to install
miracast seems pretty cool. how much for the wireless HDMI dongle though? if its cheap enough, i would be in for sure. would love to stream netflix to my bedroom TV at night.
daydream will be pretty nice for me. my phone is on most of the day, charging in my dock. so instead of a static home screen or "now playing" screen it can slide some cool stuff across the screen....really hoping for something like the zune music screensaver on the zune HD if anyone is familiar with that. very cool feature.

hardware wise
the N4 is looking better and better every time i see it....i really want one now. but i am stuck with my verizon Gnex for another year...then i can look forward to the next nexus at a similar price.
the n7....WOW...32GB for $250 (that is $180 cheaper than the 32GB ipad mini...ouch) plus 3g for an extra $50...huge win here for a sweet tablet already...picking up my 32GB as soon as i can find one.
the N10...the silver leaked images looked terrible...but after seeing the "the verge" google visit video...i have changed my mind...it looks fantastic. sounds like an incredible device. can't wait to check one out...but i wont be buying one. the 10" tablet is just too big for my usage.

i also dont like how changed the tablet UI. or got rid of it completely. it will be hard to get used to on a 10" device for sure. hope it is for the better though, but only time will tell.

overall, it seems like a pretty great update....AGAIN....from google. LOVE what they are doing. although i really wanted the even to happen today so they could hand out some N4's and we could get a system dump today....but i can wait a couple weeks.

Armada

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
4.2 will be great but the hardware isn't compelling for me. I think I'll be majorly happy with a second battery for this. Gotta have my LTE and Verizon coverage. I rely on AOSP ROMs for the latest and greatest. I currently have an Iconia A500, and the Nexus 10 sounds okay, but I use my tablet a lot for school and a Win8 convertible sounds pretty useful to me. But, to each his own!

Definitely looking forward to all the new goodies on our Gnex though.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
What do you like about the N4? I think it looks like junk, no LTE and no replaceable battery. It's got a faster processor than the GN, BFD, I haven't noticed any performance issues with the GN that a faster processor would solve. It's screen is no better and it has half the FLASH RAM, I sure hpoe they do better witht he N5 next year.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
What do you like about the N4? I think it looks like junk, no LTE and no replaceable battery. It's got a faster processor than the GN, BFD, I haven't noticed any performance issues with the GN that a faster processor would solve. It's screen is no better and it has half the FLASH RAM, I sure hpoe they do better witht he N5 next year.

By all accounts:
  1. The screen blows everything away, maybe aside from the One X and iPhone 5. Heck, even Josh Topolsky--a noted GN enthusiast--said as much.
  2. The combination of the internals + software creates not only the most compelling Android device ever, but possibly the most compelling smartphone out there. You're talking top of the line hardware and top of the line software--a first for Android (and don't give me TouchWiz, which is a bloat unadulterated mess). See, with the Nexus 4, it doesn't need those 2 gigs of RAM. In fact, it probably needs 512 gigs. All that HP? It's just Google/LG showing off. And it's about damned time, if you ask me.
  3. The price. What they did with the price is nothing short of amazing. Cent for cent, dollar for dollar--you won't find a better phone. It's not even close.
  4. I love the style. I love the wrap around look of the screen. I even like the back and the homage to the Nexus One. I think it's cool. But design is subjective, so YMMV.

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
By all accounts:
  1. The screen blows everything away, maybe aside from the One X and iPhone 5. Heck, even Josh Topolsky--a noted GN enthusiast--said as much.
  2. The combination of the internals + software creates not only the most compelling Android device ever, but possibly the most compelling smartphone out there. You're talking top of the line hardware and top of the line software--a first for Android (and don't give me TouchWiz, which is a bloat unadulterated mess). See, with the Nexus 4, it doesn't need those 2 gigs of RAM. In fact, it probably needs 512 gigs. All that HP? It's just Google/LG showing off. And it's about damned time, if you ask me.
  3. The price. What they did with the price is nothing short of amazing. Cent for cent, dollar for dollar--you won't find a better phone. It's not even close.
  4. I love the style. I love the wrap around look of the screen. I even like the back and the homage to the Nexus One. I think it's cool. But design is subjective, so YMMV.

It really looks like a solid device...

But the only reason I'm not getting it is solely because it's not on Verizon and my company has a corporate contract with Verizon and thus pays for my bill.

Brought to you by the Google Galaxy Nexus. It IS better than the iPhone 5.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It really looks like a solid device...

But the only reason I'm not getting it is solely because it's not on Verizon and my company has a corporate contract with Verizon and thus pays for my bill.

Second line prepaid, ball out son!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
By all accounts:

Brilliant.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Second line prepaid, ball out son!

Yeah... It also comes down to $$$. It sucks but all my funds are going to my house. I could persuade work to buy me a 16 Gb unlocked I suppose.

tanis.control

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So, does 4.2 allow you to collapse notifications with one finger by long pressing and swiping up, instead of having to swipe down and then up? (And if not, why?)