So now that there is no Verizon Nexus 4, what are you going to do/get?

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon got a version of the Nexus 4 with 32gb and LTE in the Spring - Summer. I don't think people realize the power of Verizon and other big carriers. If they want the Nexus Google will do everything in their power to make it happen. They may tell them they have to name it something else but they will try to get it on Verizon. That's too many possible users to pass up because of some "philosophy."

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
While I'm a bit bummed the N4 isn't coming to Verizon, I'm really happy Google said you to the carriers. Personally, I'm on a grandfathered corporate family plan that I've had for years. I pay less than $60 a month when all is said and done. So, buying an unsubsidized phone and going with a subpar carrier for about the same money doesn't make sense financially or otherwise. I travel often for business...never have issues with VZW services. Can't say the same for some collegues on other carriers. Now, the minute VZW attempts to change my plan in one way or another I will gladly buy an unlocked Nexus from the play store and go the prepaid route. You can really save a lot of money without sacrificing too much, for what I've read and heard from friends. It's amazing Google can release such beastly devices at the prices they are offering them. Anyone who can't see that isn't in touch with reality. This is all good for us, the consumers. Since I'm so freaking happy with my LTE gnex running the latest and greatest software to come down the pipe, I can see myself burning some cash on a Nexus 10 that I otherwise don't need:D At the very least, I'm really excited to flash the 4.2 leaks and custom roms that are surely to come following the N4 and N10 releases. In a way, the N4 being non-LTE only further future proofs our LTE nexi ;)

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon got a version of the Nexus 4 with 32gb and LTE in the Spring - Summer. I don't think people realize the power of Verizon and other big carriers. If they want the Nexus Google will do everything in their power to make it happen. They may tell them they have to name it something else but they will try to get it on Verizon. That's too many possible users to pass up because of some "philosophy."

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I agree with this, and I hope it happens as well. A lot of people don't seem to realize how cutting edge this new Nexus 4 is from a hardware perspective. They only see their missing wants (lol ok, NEEDs for the "entitled" generation). From the tech sites (note TECH sites, not blogs/forums/etc) its hardware will still be cutting edge well into 2013-14. We'll see, but my gnex still blows most people's newer devices out of the water in real world scenarios, so this Nexus should really be something. Software > hardware and this baby has the best of both for today and the forseeable future.

lortay78

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, I threaten to leave big red all the time, but the reality is there are a lot of places I travel that have zero coverage for anyone but Verizon. My dream is for another LTE nexus with 32 gigs of onboard storage. If that doesn't happen, I just need to shoot for unlocked bootloaders and CM supported devices.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
It's quite obvious you don't use the cloud. I have unlimited data and still use it often. While it's not for the super lazy, as you may have to check and/or uncheck a few boxes while you're in wifi to change content, it's the future. Deal with it :p

I think the cloud can be great for storing things or for backups, but just because Google wants us to use it, hardly defines it as the future. Memory is way to small and way too cheap for it not to be readily available in all phones. Like you, I have unlimited data, but whenever we next upgrade phones, that's gone. You could fight that off for a while by paying full price, but I doubt that will work out well. Whether it's this year, or next, or maybe the one after that, we're all going to be on a limited plan. Additionally, for those that travel, there are still too many places that cloud data is inaccessible. I'm not trying to rain on your cloud (ha ha...that's funny)...the cloud has it's uses, but on board memory is too easy to come by for a premier device to skimp on it.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, I threaten to leave big red all the time, but the reality is there are a lot of places I travel that have zero coverage for anyone but Verizon. My dream is for another LTE nexus with 32 gigs of onboard storage. If that doesn't happen, I just need to shoot for unlocked bootloaders and CM supported devices.

Ditto.... I was talking with me wife about dumping Verizon, but I travel alot and Verizon is the only provider that gets reception at my wife's work. So it's do I want the next nexus and marginal coverage, or do I want great coverage and a non-nexus device. But seeing how Verizon requested the locked bootloader on the S3, who knows what other bull they might pull.

Sent from my wireless telephonic device.

crl95

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I am going to be a first time android user switching from iphone in January on Verizon. I am very tech-savvy so i was hoping i could get a nexus because i heard that those are the best for rooting and all that stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions for me keeping in mind that i must remain on Verizon and knowing that i want a phone that will get a lot of roms and everything else. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

dtraini30

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I am going to be a first time android user switching from iphone in January on Verizon. I am very tech-savvy so i was hoping i could get a nexus because i heard that those are the best for rooting and all that stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions for me keeping in mind that i must remain on Verizon and knowing that i want a phone that will get a lot of roms and everything else. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

If we do not get a Nexus before then, I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy S3. That is what I currently own and I am running Android 4.1.2 Jellybean just fine on it, now there are some hiccups here and there, but nothing a simple reboot can't fix! That's what I would recommend on the current lineup from Verizon.

strauss884

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I really like Nexus experience, but when I come up for upgrade in early January I'm thinking Razr Maxx or maybe wait until SIV

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I decided to buy a GS3 as thanks to the bootloader hack it could be the only unlockable bootloader phone we see on Verizon ever again without paying $600. I loved my GNex but I had the opportunity to get a GS3 for new contract price without having to extend my contract and am now running CM10 on it. I even enabled the nav bar and disabled the hardware keys. It may not be a perfect AOSP device but it is certainly better than my GNex in performance, battery, and signal strength. Gonna roll with this until my contract is up in September 2013 and then will see what's going on then.

GrillMouster

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a grandfathered corporate plan with unlimited everything for a steal. VZW is the only network to give me excellent coverage everywhere that I travel. So, leaving VZW is not an option. The only Android phones I'll ever own are Nexus devices. So, if VZW doesn't get a new Nexus in the next year, there's a strong possibility that I'll get an iPhone.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
The og nexus and the Nexus s are still relevant phones getting updates regularly. I am sure the gnex will be good to go for at least a year more. How many phones have Jellybean? Not many. We will have 4.2 very soon.

Sent from my mind (;))

TauSigmaNova

Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!
Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
The og nexus and the Nexus s are still relevant phones getting updates regularly. I am sure the gnex will be good to go for at least a year more. How many phones have Jellybean? Not many. We will have 4.2 very soon.

Sent from my mind (;))
Disagree. OG Nexus is done, though Nexus S still does have Jellybean officially as does the GNex :p

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat.. next summer i am up with my contract on my droid charge. decent enough phone, rooting it has been a bit of a chore and lost it on last upgrade.. I so dearly want new phone with multicore.. and preferably nexus. Unfortunately, even the nexus line at verizon is tainted. we just got LTE in my city and its damn fast, sucks even more that my work is completely against free wifi, and poorly implemented elsewhere. When i do get stuck on 3G its a painful experience, browsing is slow, downloading takes forever. I know these are 1st world problems..

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm leaving for an unlocked Nexus 4 and prepaid at 1/3 the monthly price. I already favor Wi-Fi and 3G over LTE due to battery life issues on my GN, and my wife and I are no longer willing to pay so much more $$$ for no improvement in service. Prepaid here we come!

miikeyroks#CB

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I am disappointed that the Nexus 4 wasn't released on Verizon, but at the same time I'm disappointed that a Nexus phone on Verizon cannot live up to its name thanks to Verizon's strict policies.

I have decided to just go with the Droid Razr Maxx HD. Battery life is really important to me. Also, my Droid X is driving me crazy, so I can't wait any longer.

Thats exactly why Verizon is still winning no matter which choice you make. They are keeping your business and not having to bend over to Google. Win for them, and you also think you've one.

Blegh, June 2013 is when I will be looking for my upgrade. Until then my GSIII will work.

I just want the shiny backplate dammit!

google123

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Well lets see. My current phone has some of the latest JB features on it and is still buttery smooth so I don't have to upgrade just yet. I was looking forward to the Nexus 4 but since it got no Verizon love in any way shape or form, I will have to wait until the next version of Nexus. GSM coverage at my house is basically non-existent. Basically I live in a sort of valley and in order to get any GSM signal whether ATT or Tmo I have to drive about 1/2 mile from home. Sucks. Verizon gives me a constant 2 bars of service though. I purchased a GSM phone (Nokia E71) and a Straight talk SIM in the past to test the GSM coverage and it has not improved in the year and a half that since I bought that phone. When GSM coverage works in my home, then and only then, can I begin to think about switching to a phone that relies solely on GSM networks. Until then, I'm stuck using 3G CDMA devices that use Verizon or at least Sprint and their respective MVNOs. I currently have my Fascinate on Page Plus Cellular so I get great Verizon coverage for $30 a month.

If my phone does decide to stop functioning, I will probably get the Razr M and continue on PPC.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
So now that there is no Verizon Nexus 4, what are you going to do/get?

Switching to TMobile...

I agree with Google's rationale about wresting control away from the carriers re: no-LTE and dig the idea of a reasonably priced non-subsidized phone...

PetiePal

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
So I was interested in the Nexus 4 until I learned:

-it had no removable battery (I'm huge on Seido extendeds)
-It only came up to 16GB (I could be a cloud guy as I'm VZW Unlimited, but again it's not on VZW!)
-Wireless charging I could care less about...

Also the HTC 1080p phone...I don't NEED 1080p on a cellphone screen lol. I'm really not planning on watching a ton of Netflix or whatever. I may end up getting a Nexus 10 for the gf and I have an iPad 3 already. I don't see anything else coming in the short term that really excites me. I also just started a nice cushy 100k job, so my little present to myself...

I had the Galaxy Note 2 preordered from midnight the first chance you could. I was going to cancel if something better was announced but it doesn't look like it. The fact that I can pop my Class 10 Sandisk MicroSD card in there, AND that Seido will have an NFC capable battery out for it, solidifies the decision.

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am considering the RAZR MAXX HD or the HTC DNA after selling my GNex.

The things that I don't like about the MAXX are the RAM and the camera quality. The camera app is nice, though. The processor is not a quad core, but the S4 is great in dual or quad. I like the new Motorola UI. Battery life is a no brainer for the plus category on this phone. I like the Circles widget.

For the DNA, if the UI is the same as the J Butterfly or the Rhyme, that might be a deal breaker. I like the normal Sense UI. I like the camera and the camera app (HDR mode needs some work - based on the current HTC phones). The screen will be great. Processor and RAM are the same as the Nexus 4 and internal storage should be the same as well. The only issue with the RAM is Sense uses more of it than stock and the low memory settings are different in Sense than in stock. With 2 GB, I don't think that this will be an issue. The battery could be larger, but I should be able to get through a whole day.

With either of these phones, I need to purchase them at full price to keep unlimited data. I know the MAXX will be updated to JB (probably 4.1, I won't hold my breath for 4.2) and the DNA will ship with JB 4.1 (still not holding my breath for 4.2, it is VZW FWIW). The one thing that I will hate about both of these phones is the Droid startup sound. I know I can root these and delete it, but even hearing it once is too much. I will also need to root them to delete the bloat. Things like this are why I would prefer the Nexus 4.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital