My master plan on leaving Verizon

TNScrambler

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I would like to know as well. I never participated in this thread because at the time a month and a half ago, I had NO intention of leaving vz. Month and a half is a long time lol and lo and I am on straight talk att with an n4.
First off, the drop in speed is drastic. For what I use my phone for, it don't bother me much. 80% of the time I am on wifi. The other 20, I can live with. I am mainly a crackflasher, so slow dl don't phase me. I download them 200 meg rom files on wifi.
On the week or so I been on straight talk, I find it a great bang for the buck. I had the 450 nationwide plan, unlmted data and 1000 texts on VZ for like $90+ a month.
On st I get unlimited text, talk and data for $45. They might throttle data, but I don't use much so idc. I don't use gv and I ported my number to st which was painless.
So to get a cutting edge smartphone and pay half of what I was paying albiet slower speed = total satisfaction.

What part of the country are you from? I'm from East TN, but from what I can tell ATT coverage seems to be pretty good here, Verizon is excellent pretty much everywhere I've been in the last 10 years on it, unless I'm WAY out in the boonies. I have 3 phones on my plan, all three smart phones and currently with our 19% discount I'm still paying $200.xx a month for them. So if I were to convert us over to ST, even if I have to pay tax on the $45, I'm still looking at saving at least $50 a month or $600 a year....however I've also been looking and have found several sources to purchase the refills for $39 or $40 and no tax which would end up saving us $80 a month or almost $1000 a year. So, this is would seem to be very lucrative depending on phone costs. However my wife and mother are on Iphones, (a 4s and a 4) and would be perfectly happy if I were to get them the gsm equivalent of each....so hopefully by the time I sell their phones it would be close to washing out, then I could sell my S3 and get a N4 and come out close as well.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
It's all about location. My location won't help you, I'm in Hawaii. The nice thing about gsm is you can switch easily between att and tmo. With no contract, you could switch back and forth every month if you wanted. If you can handle 100 mins a month, tmo has a $30/month plan with unlimited data and texts. Gonna try that in a couple months.

Sent from my mako :)p)

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry fellas, been pretty busy with work & G+ I've consolidated my time online again, and been just focus on G+... so apologies... So been really been going on 2-weeks with just T-Mo's $30 plan, 5-Gigs, 100 mins, and using only Google Voice & Groove IP, things are working out great, but first some issues, I do try to keep calls over HSPA to a minimum, unless I'm getting consistent 1megs up, the caller will have issues hearing you. I have certain areas marked to make HSPA VOIP calls, and even then it varies day to day. Those are the time the 100 minutes come in handy, those precious 100 mins that I've already use about 80..!! ah..

VOIP calls on WiFi work well at home, although, when someone calls in, I am paranoid of shutting off all other internet traffic, including video and torrents, to get the best call quality. I live in a HSPA dead zone, so I can't make HSPA VOIP calls from home, strangely enough my work WiFi is inconsistent with WiFi-VOIP calls too, and is also a HSPA dead zone.. BUT the big saving grace is that making calls over Gmail has saved my butt...

Now the wonders of Groove & Google Voice, on ALL my devices now, my htc Desire, Gnex, N4 & N7 all have Groove & GV installed... what that means is that I can pick up ANY device and use it as a phone; along with Gmail, ALL my calls personal & professional can come thru the desktop, now SMS is done thru a web interface with keyboard. The wife has not notice a difference, my desktop calls come thru perfectly and I can spend hours on my desktop taking & making calls as usual.

When I get into work, I simply turn off my Groove IP app, and all calls gets forwarded to Gmail instantly... When I leave for lunch, I pick up my N4 or Desire, open up Groove and all the calls simply go there... very, very sweet setup. Now when I flash a new ROM, I don't have to back up SMS or a Call Log anymore, it's all on the cloud..!

Feels great to SMS on the old Desire again. I can be on a Gmail call, press * and the call will be transfer to my N4, then I can walk away from my desk and continue the conversation.

I will stay with T-Mo for while, the 100 mins will go quick, and their Voice service seems to be as good or better than VZ in my area. the biggest thing with using the N4 with T-Mo is the call quality is where it should be, no more random digital static, popping and loud screechings with VZ and the Gnex. Calls are perfect, and if I should run out of minutes, I have extra cash on the account at $.10/minute. But again, now with Gmail & VOIP I should not have to go over.

I will be watching those 100 mins like a hawk...!!!

PS...

Oh, lastly, Groove has lots of call settings from Echo Cancellation, to bumping up the Mic & Earphone gains, been trying to test out those settings too, it seems to help tremendously...

PSS...

Oh, and I love how with Google Voice, I can listen to each voice mail out of order, from the phone or desktop... and with anything Google, I never have to erase another voice mail again... I can even record in-coming calls and download voice mails, love that feature..! I can keep every important VM from the wife, clients and my son..! Really if you have a Nexus phone, Google Voice should be a Key Standard feature of your phone, F*** VZ..! can't believe I've been dialing *86 to check voice mail for years...!!!

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Ever consider st att? It's unlimited talk. Yeah, it's $45/month but you wouldn't need to worry about your minutes. Att not so hot in your area?

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Ever consider st att? It's unlimited talk. Yeah, it's $45/month but you wouldn't need to worry about your minutes. Att not so hot in your area?

yup, that would make my life too easy.. Iove using tech to make my life more complicated but interesting... ^_^

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Btw dit,
Thanks for pointing out that android and me website. I love how they are pro gsm and mvno advocates. I am totally sold on unlocked gsm devices.
Makes me cringe how I was tied to vz for so long. I feel so free! :)

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

You can also choose to operate on the T-Mobile network when signing up for Straight Talk.

Sent from my Nexus 4

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
You can also choose to operate on the T-Mobile network when signing up for Straight Talk.

Sent from my Nexus 4

True, but st doesn't offer tmo's $30 100 min plan. Gonna try that out soon. I really like st att but I think I can handle 100 mins/month and save 15 bucks. :)

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
True, but st doesn't offer tmo's $30 100 min plan. Gonna try that out soon. I really like st att but I think I can handle 100 mins/month and save 15 bucks. :)

If you go over 100 minutes, additional minutes are charged at 10 cents/minute. You just need to keep additional funds in your account to cover any overages.

Sent from my SGSIII

ssummer

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Someone mentioned it earlier but I want to reiterate:

GV's lack of support for MMS can be a deal-breaker if you use your phone in "mission critical" settings (i.e. your job uses it to communicate work-relevant information). You might think "Oh I don't use MMS at all, I only use SMS". Well you don't have a choice in using MMS because group SMS messages sent from iPhones (and certain other devices) are automatically converted to MMS. That's major because you are NOT going to receive that "urgent meeting at 5pm" group text from your boss if he sent it from an iPhone.

Esteban4u

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
The majority of Verizon's Android Enthusiast customers including those who still have the Galaxy Nexus like myself WILL be leaving their service if they don't carry the Google Nexus 5. This will happen because the growing consensus among Android enthusiasts is that they are tired of Verizon's death grip-like control (locked bootloaders, bloatware and delayed/non-existant Android OS updates) of their Android devices. If they don't believe this, they should take a look at their own community forums and those of the most popular Android tech blogs on the internet (simply do a Google search with the terms "leaving verizon" "nexus 5" and you'll see what I mean). For many of them, the detriment of loosing grandfathered unlimited data, like myself, will no longer compel them to stay on Verizon's service. Simply carrying the Google Nexus 5 won't be enough though. Unlike the Galaxy Nexus, It has to be UNTOUCHED by their usual Android device business practices, the way Google meant it to be. I post this on Google Plus with a "+Verizon Wireless" to maybe grab their attention and give them a heads-up, in case they haven't been paying attention / listening to what your customers want.

Ace4

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The sad truth is, Verizon could care less about losing a small number of customers who are essentially a thorn in their side. Giving up control of devices on their network, putting money into timely testing of updates, and having customers who use a lot of data without paying extra for it is not in their financial interest, so there is no reason for them to change. As much as I dislike it, I understand where their decision. As many have said previously, it boils down to what is more important to each user... having a pure Nexus device or having Verizon's network coverage. For 98% of their customers, having the network wins.

finger11

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
yea.... if I can't get the nexus 5 I might leave my family's share plan and try something else. what will everyone go to? i haven't looked into any other carriers.

romdude

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
How can put this delicately? :) Once someone is used to Verizon's 4G speeds, it's really hard to go back down to AT&T or T-Mobile "4G" speeds.
In my case, Verizon 4G has always given me 12mbps to 15mbps download and 8mbps to 11mbps uploads.(frequently tested using various speed
test sites)

It will be like asking me to trade in my Bugatti Veyron for a Toyota Prius Hybrid. Sure, I'll save tons of money on gasoline.

Why not LTE? Am I missing something here?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante