Battery Issues

Mathew Ginden

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Not sure where else to turn on this but I have major issues for my battery on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. The typical day for me consists of waking up around 7am with a fully charged phone and having to recharge the battery because its down to about 10-15% battery life by noon. This isn't normal right? I only turn my gps on when I'm driving (and even then, my phone is plugged into a car charger), my bluetooth is only turned on when I'm using a bluetooth receiver, and I use my wifi whenever possible but only turn that on when i know it's available (i.e. at home).

The charger I use at work is my work blackberry charger, and i've heard that that could be the problem due to different phone manufacturers chargers being different levels of efficient. Could that be the problem? Can anyone think of anything else that could possibly going on?

Thanks for the input!

Mathew Ginden

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi t_kopta,

Thank you for the response. Maybe I'm missing something but the Bluetooth consumption seems to be negligible. It doesn't show up on my battery setting but that might be because I don't turn it on unless I'm in my car using my car stereos Bluetooth receiver (and again, often on long drives when I'm using the bluetooth, I can plug it in to my car charger). t_kopta, or anyone else, do you have any other ideas?

t_kopta

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Other possibility may be your 4g coverage in your area. If its poor your battery will drain while your phone looks for service. Or your battery is crap. Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Mathew Ginden

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Haha, rats, you're probably right about both those things come to think of it.

4g and 3g coverage in my area has always been a struggle in my area but I was told it was getting better... Maybe I'll just go buy a second battery and rotate the two, keeping them both charged. Thanks again for the help t_kopta!

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Nope, this seems normal to me. Done everything in the world to try and get better battery and it just gets worse and worse... 4G on or off.. GPS on or off, Blue Tooth, It doesn't make a damn difference. My phone sleeps well and doesn't have many wake-locks yet, I can't go 12 hours without recharging.. and that's when I'm not even using the phone.. If the screen is on, it pretty much has to be plugged in or I lose a percent a minute..

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Nope, this seems normal to me. Done everything in the world to try and get better battery and it just gets worse and worse... 4G on or off.. GPS on or off, Blue Tooth, It doesn't make a damn difference. My phone sleeps well and doesn't have many wake-locks yet, I can't go 12 hours without recharging.. and that's when I'm not even using the phone.. If the screen is on, it pretty much has to be plugged in or I lose a percent a minute..

This is really starting to turn me off to Android. :( I really like the OS but can't seem to get a device with good battery life. I keep getting tempted to go back to the iPhone for the battery life alone but I really don't care for iOS.

Spiderman13

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Android isn't the problem. The Galaxy Nexus on Verizon is just a piece of sh!t.

Most people on here swing from the Gnex balls. They will tell you to root and get this ROM or that rom.

But you are probably like me and don't think that giving my hard earned $300 for a phone that I'M required to download better software because the 4G radios are chit and there is no power management to speak of.

Return the gnex as fast as you can!

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Android isn't the problem. The Galaxy Nexus on Verizon is just a piece of sh!t.

You're right, Android isn't the problem. However, saying that the Nexus on Verizon is "just a piece of sh!t" is your opinion, and by no means a statement of fact. Sure, there have been issues with the phone, but I ask you to find any modern smartphone that has not run into its share of problems. For example, it's been reported that some of the recently-released Lumia 920 and HTC 8X Windows Phones are experiencing random reboots during use. Sound familiar?

Most people on here swing from the Gnex balls. They will tell you to root and get this ROM or that rom.

On behalf of "most people on here," you're prepared to make the statement that they "swing from the Gnex balls"? That's a pretty bold claim. When I look around the Galaxy Nexus forums, I see people who enjoy delving into the intricacies of their phone and the possibilities that come with it. They will tell you to root and get this ROM or that ROM because they enjoy the enhancements, control, and expression of creativity that come with that process ? not necessarily because they think you will have a sub-par experience otherwise.

I expect you'll find a similar crowd in most of the AC device forums; people who are experiencing some problems, people who offer help and advice, and people who are enjoying the experience of going a step further. I have seen very few posts here where users say they feel they are 'forced' to root in order to have an 'acceptable' experience.

But you are probably like me and don't think that giving my hard earned $300 for a phone that I'M required to download better software because the 4G radios are chit and there is no power management to speak of.

I pay retail on every device I buy, and I happily paid retail for my Galaxy Nexus with Verizon. I understand that you've had a poor experience, but that is by no means a reflection of the majority. This phone is nearly a year old, and is a Nexus device on Verizon's network. Samsung has their flagship out, Verizon makes comparatively little money on Nexus sales, and Android device quality continues to improve in both hardware and software.

When the Galaxy Nexus came out, all of these facts were pointed out multiple times. It was likely that the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon wouldn't receive the level of support or attention we would all have liked for it to, but that's the trade-off for having a Nexus phone on Verizon. Finally, if you're comparing this phone to ones that have come out in the past four to five months, you need to be realistic. The Nexus may very well lose in all categories except software.

I'll agree with you that the battery life of this phone, when stock, is too short under typical use.

Return the gnex as fast as you can!

Find a trade-in service, get some money for your Nexus, and take advantage of a Black Friday deal to get a newer, 'better' phone. It'll cost you, but from the sound of your post you'd be happy to pay and get away from this phone. Otherwise, I'm sorry to say that if you're not happy with what you're running now, you might want to flash a different ROM. ;)

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
it is probably the battery itself.
dont get me wrong, this phone isn't GREAT on battery life, but after 4 hours you shouldn't have to plug it in.
i consistently can get 12 hours out of a charge.
i only say this because you aren't leaving stuff on (wifi BT,GPS ect) and you have taken a good look at your CPU (partial wakelocks, sleeping ect) and you say all seems normal.
if you REALLY like the Gnex as a phone, i would try another battery before i jump to any conclusions. if you simply cannot live with the battery life on a brand new battery, get something like the Razr MAXX HD or even the older MAXX as those things will go all day no problem.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Get a big battery. There are 3800ma batteries for the Verizon GN on Amazon for $20. I have both the Hyperion and the Trexcell, I'm pretty sure they are the same battery so you can get either one. The 3800ma battery will get you through the day.

Mr.Mcgoo

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Do different batteries effect NFC? I remember reading something about a battery and NFC being connected somehow, not sure if it was a certain phone...

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes I believe NFC is part of battery I had a choice when I ordered my Seidio 3800. I still have to use NFC with anyone. Nice idea when all phones get this feature.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12