do you all like your phone?

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a decision to make. For today only verizon is offering the galaxy nexus for free. im due for an upgrade and my current phone is the thunderbolt. my plan was to wait till april and see if i come back from vegas with money and buy the S3, but im not sure if i can pass up the nexus for free. what can you tell me about the nexus, good,bad,or indifferent?

deathbysnoosnoo

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I love my galaxy nexus. The problem was the cost for the Verizon service. After many years with Verizon I finally pulled the plug and bought a used gsm nexus from swappa.com and moved to TMobile just a few weeks ago.

I doubt you will disappointed with the nexus, it is still supported by google and the dev community so expect the phone to be around awhile.

If you plan I using the 4G on the phone don't expect good battery life out of it. I had bought a seidio 3800 mah extended battery to ensure I could make it through a day. With it I could get a full 24 hours on a charge with moderate usage.

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I honestly still love my nexus BUT The build quality and camera and battery really leave me wanting more other wise It's a great phone

smokie11

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus after JB became close to perfect for me, 4G speeds are amazing, no dropped calls, wifi tethering to tablet & laptop, video streaming of Slingbox and Netflix, HDMI to tv with adapter and control with Bluetooth keyboard, camera takes excellent pictures if you use it properly, gps is amazingly fast and accurate, my battery life is acceptable to me an average 10 hour day for me leaves me with 40%. The phone does not lock-up or self reboot, very stable OS.

The phone is not perfect but I find it reliable and versatile. I am bone stock by the way. have nothing against root/roms I am just simply the type that needs a reason to root to fill a need, the phone as is fills all my requirements so a free Nexus sounds good to me.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have a GNex and am very happy with it. No problems but if I am using it heavily I do need to swap batteries.

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
while free is a great price, im just wondering if i may get a better deal on the S3 in march or april when my contract is actually up. i was talking about this with my father, and his question was if you had the money to go buy a phone today would you buy the gnex? and my answer was no, id go by the S3, so im thinking maybe i shouldnt use my upgrade. what are the major differences between the gnex and the S3 other than the S3 being newer? my thunderbolt does still do what i need it to, other than its still running gingerbread

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
i can also say honestlt that my answer to the question above is based solely on hearing so much about the S3 and almost nothing about the gnex

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
mightyfacundo just brought up a good point to me. if my contract is gonna be up in march i may be able to get a S3 then cheaper, and if not he is almost certain ill still be able to get a gnex for free then

smokie11

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Your father gave you great advise, if money is no problem and waiting is also no problem then I think you already have your answer. The S3 has better hardware then the Nexus. The best way I can put it is this: If you already have a Nexus going to an S3 is not worth it in my opinion; if you have neither I would buy the S3.

Mr.Mcgoo

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I believe amazon has the G3 on sale right now for $54.00 which is a good price, not sure if SAMs club deal of 99 cents is over but sure they are out of phones.... 2 people I know bought the G3 on Sunday from SAMs club for that price. My GN so far is what I wanted though battery life is not good, I am usually not far from a charger anytime.
If I was going to burn an upgrade I would probably get the G3 or try some other new phones to see if I like them!

Good luck

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I think the GNex was a great device. It is still a good device, but is no comparison to the S3 or the DNA.

I lost my GNex while in Hawaii for work and needed a replacement right away so I bought my wife an S3 that I used until my insurance replacement GNex. Once it came in and I gave the S3 to my wife, I was jealous!

I rectified that today by getting the DNA.

Anyway, if you can handle holding off... If you didn't already take the leap... I would wait to see what comes out by then.

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I love the phone and all the 3rd party development. I don't think, however, at this point, I would lock myself into a contract with this phone.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I think that the camera on the GNEX gets a bad rap. I am no photographer, but I am more than happy with the camera on mine. Maybe I have lower standards, but I love the camera. I have no issues with the build quality either.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
as an android computer the GNEX is great...great for browsing, apps, customizing, etc etc. Great screen. As a phone, it's a mess. Horrible reception, call quality, speaker. If talking is important, don't get it..

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I have had the gnexus for about 6 months and love it. The battery life is isn't great but it gets me through a complete day fine with normal use. I had the thunderbolt before and it wouldn't make of half a day. The camera is fine in the daylight the only problem is in low light situations, which is rare. I'm up for an upgrade now and just really did see anything out that makes me want to leave this phone yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums