This phone is only three upgrades behind now

Dave12308

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Well I'll be watching it.

And the point people make about the iPhone and Verizon is that Verizon basically had to beg for the iPhone, so Apple laid out their terms.
Then people say that nexus devices aren't as high demand as the iPhone, so Verizon doesn't have to beg for it.

But Google owns Motorola, Google makes android OS, and they bring Verizon a lot of business with that. Why can't they flex some muscle and get the nexus 4 on Verizon?

Sent from my wireless telephonic device.

Verizon did nothing magical with Apple, they pulled the same crap when the iPhone 4 was first released.

When all the OTHER iOS devices got iOS 4.3; the Verizon iPhone 4 was stuck on iOS 4.2.x

We never DID get a 4.3 update, months later it FINALLY got updated when 5.0 came out. They COMPLETELY skipped the Verizon iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3

And for a couple of months, it DID introduce genuine app compatibility issues. "This app requires iOS 4.3 or later" was a common error I got used to seeing.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I didn't notice Verizon holding out on Apple updates. My wife is an iUser and usually whenever I read about iPhone getting a new update, her phone got the update.

bn777

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Verizon did nothing magical with Apple, they pulled the same crap when the iPhone 4 was first released.

When all the OTHER iOS devices got iOS 4.3; the Verizon iPhone 4 was stuck on iOS 4.2.x

We never DID get a 4.3 update, months later it FINALLY got updated when 5.0 came out. They COMPLETELY skipped the Verizon iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3

And for a couple of months, it DID introduce genuine app compatibility issues. "This app requires iOS 4.3 or later" was a common error I got used to seeing.

The issue cited for the Nexus update delays originally was an issue with the VZW LTE radios, registration or some such thing. Since the iPhones (until the latest version) had no 4G LTE radios in them that wouldn't be an issue.

mechapathy

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The issue cited for the Nexus update delays originally was an issue with the VZW LTE radios, registration or some such thing. Since the iPhones (until the latest version) had no 4G LTE radios in them that wouldn't be an issue.

I was under the impression that it was CDMA related, because CDMA tech is proprietary.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Verizon would release there "test" OTA updates to a select few devices and it'd stay in the test phase for months.

There's a guy over at XDA with a Verizon GNex test device. That's how we get the Verizon stock images like a month before Verizon pushes it to the rest.
So it goes to the test devices like a month after the GSM GNex gets it, then two months after that it goes to the rest. Even if there's no changes to the radios in the OTA, Verizon still delays pushing the updates.

NoICon

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
If Verizon stops selling the Nexus, does that mean they'll stop pushing updates for this phone? And didn't I hear something about some kind of legislation making it illegal to root in the near future? Wow, such a promising device turning into a real dead end.

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
If Verizon stops selling the Nexus, does that mean they'll stop pushing updates for this phone? And didn't I hear something about some kind of legislation making it illegal to root in the near future? Wow, such a promising device turning into a real dead end.

It's not legislation, there's no voting by elected officials. The Library of Congress was the one to make it a felony to unlock your device.

That's right, felony. First offence $500,000 fine, 5 years in prison, or both. Second offence is doubled.

Sent from my shattered, re-stocked VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Answer to both questions is No.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

The unlocking they're referring to has nothing to do with unlocking the boot loader or rooting the phone. It only refers to unlocking the SIM chip and changing carriers while the phone is still under contract. The word "unlock" is contextual.

JJones1210

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Did this today just so I could get an LOL

Sent via my GNex on Xparent Blue Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359497182009.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359497182009.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 57

BuyOneGetFour

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
smartphones become almost obsolete 12 months after introduction.... :(

fortunately, the Galaxy Nexus, even the Verizon, last much longer than that! :D

I haven't kept up with the thread. Shouldn't the Verizon Galaxy Nexus be four updates behind by now?
My Verizon Galaxy Nexus is used as a spare only(doesn't even have a SIM card in it anymore).

BuyOneGetFour

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Of course they are. After they're approved. Nothing has changed. The phone will continue to get updates just like it has.

I'm so confused now.... which version is supposed to be the newest update
that we don't have on the VZW Galaxy Nexus yet? I know Sprint just got a
new update, but does the GSM Galaxy Nexus have an even newer update??? :confused:

Thanks! :)

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Of course they are. After they're approved. Nothing has changed. The phone will continue to get updates just like it has.

Exactly, nothing has changed. They still haven't allowed Google to push the update to the VZW Nexus.

I'm going to wager that now that VZW is no longer selling the device, the already ridiculously long time period for them to approve updates will get even longer.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, nothing has changed. They still haven't allowed Google to push the update to the VZW Nexus.

I'm going to wager that now that VZW is no longer selling the device, the already ridiculously long time period for them to approve updates will get even longer.

It will come when it does. Don't know why anyone is still acting surprised that it takes forever for VZW to approve updates, it's been this way since the phone arrived.

I will agree with you that you may see the wait extend a bit, mostly because Verizon only has a fixed amount of resources they allocate to approving updates for phones to push, and it's logical to assume that older phones receive less of these resources than newer phones. Such is life.

BuyOneGetFour

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
It will come when it does. Don't know why anyone is still acting surprised that it takes forever for VZW to approve updates, it's been this way since the phone arrived.

I will agree with you that you may see the wait extend a bit, mostly because Verizon only has a fixed amount of resources they allocate to approving updates for phones to push, and it's logical to assume that older phones receive less of these resources than newer phones. Such is life.

"Verizon takes such a long time because it wants to test the updates thoroughly. They do not want the customers to
get software with bugs and experience unnecessary delays. The goal of Verizon Wireless is to provide the best
customer experience in the industry. "

No, I didn't write that... it almost made me want to throw up when i read that canned response
from a Verizon rep. :D :D :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance