This phone is only three upgrades behind now

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think at this point Google is tired of VZW's BS.

In my opinion VZW's approval process should be eliminated.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Updates to the VZ Gnex are delayed because VZ gets to take their time approving them. If anyone actually thinks there is anything more than that, such as a conspiracy to sell newer phones or whatever, you ought to remove the tinfoil hats. Every update has taken something like 8 weeks (give or take) to pass the approval process and be pushed through, and that will continue, however the phone will still be provided updates for the next year from Google, despite what anyone else may want to say to scare you.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Well how come iPhone updates are handled in a timely manner? How come Verizon is selling phones with jelly bean on it, when the GNex hasn't even received the official update from Verizon?

Sent from my wireless telephonic device.

Darkblue31

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
It did get the official jellybean update just before October 1st. But it was 4.1 not 4.2

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Was just about to edit that. But yeah, the the phones that Verizon is selling now will be on newer versions of android before the android flagship phone.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Because Verizon really, really wanted the iPhone so they were willing to give in to some of Apple's demands in order to get it. There was not nearly as much demand for the Gnex as there was for the iPhone, nor was Google as stubborn as Apple when it came to those demands (and Verizon probably wouldn't have caved on it anyway... they did agree not to mess with the unlockable bootloader, however).. so they got to push some more of their own policies on to this phone.

Also, it's been reported here previously (I'm not sure how accurate it is, so I'll preface by saying that) that Apple actually brings in on-site representatives from the big networks (Att, Vzw, etc) dedicated to test the iPhone upgrades on the networks on location while they are working on them, so the testing is complete, or close enough to it for VZ to give in, when Apple is ready to release the updates. Google doesn't do that.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Because Verizon really, really wanted the iPhone so they were willing to give in to some of Apple's demands in order to get it. There was not nearly as much demand for the Gnex as there was for the iPhone, nor was Google as stubborn as Apple when it came to those demands (and Verizon probably wouldn't have caved on it anyway... they did agree not to mess with the unlockable bootloader, however).. so they got to push some more of their own policies on to this phone.

Also, it's been reported here previously (I'm not sure how accurate it is, so I'll preface by saying that) that Apple actually brings in on-site representatives from the big networks (Att, Vzw, etc) dedicated to test the iPhone upgrades on the networks on location while they are working on them, so the testing is complete, or close enough to it for VZ to give in, when Apple is ready to release the updates. Google doesn't do that.

stop. hammer time.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Updates to the VZ Gnex are delayed because VZ gets to take their time approving them. If anyone actually thinks there is anything more than that, such as a conspiracy to sell newer phones or whatever, you ought to remove the tinfoil hats. Every update has taken something like 8 weeks (give or take) to pass the approval process and be pushed through, and that will continue, however the phone will still be provided updates for the next year from Google, despite what anyone else may want to say to scare you.
I don't think there is any kind of conspiracy. Just a ridiculous policy that is arbitrary and ridiculous.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Was just about to edit that. But yeah, the the phones that Verizon is selling now will be on newer versions of android before the android flagship phone.

How do you figure? None of the phones being released at VZW right now that can be considered flagship phones are on "newer" versions of Android. Neither the Note 2, the latest and greatest RAZR phones, and etc. are up to the latest and greatest builds of Jelly Bean.

You make it sound like some sort of a race. For me it isn't a race. It is simply VZW not allowing these things to be pushed to our handsets.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I like threads like these. This issue is why Verizon isn't getting the nexus 4, and probably never getting another nexus device.
But I think it was Google's fault too. Apple was able to pull their weight and put the iPhone on Verizon on their terms. The VZW iPhone has no carrier bloat, and gets updated at the same time as every other iPhone. Why can't Google manage to do this with their nexus line?

It's because Verizon lost out on millions and millions of dollars each day that did not have the iphone on their shelves. Unfortunately, the Nexus program and Google had very little weight to throw at Verizon in comparison. Hopefully, the sales of the N4, N7, and N10 will change that. I think they're on to something. Obviously, Google does too. We'll see.

EDIT: Should've known that some bright people would beat me to that somewhat obvious reasoning...
LTE Nexus is AOSP supported. There goes your conspiracy theories. Been on 4.2.1 for days already. Non LTE N4 makes this device still the best phone on Verizon for tinkerers and crackflashers imo.Still loving my LTE gnex. Blows my mind, actually. I'll likely leave VZW eventually to stay with the Nexus line, but I'm happily riding out my contract and feeling roughly zero new device envy.

Last edited:

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I know that the purpose of a forum is a friendly exchange of ideas and opinions. Can someone who believes that the Verizon Galaxy Nexus is missing something; please tell me exactly what a real Google Galaxy Nexus can do that my Verizon Galaxy Nexus cannot do.

Something significant, important and worthwhile. Not minutia, something more important then going to About Phone and reading a different version number. Thank you.

How about having and using Google Wallet out of the box... without having to side-load it and coax it to work on the Verizon version?

When carriers remove/block features (and Google Wallet is a significant feature/service), that's enough reason for some folks to be upset, IMO. It takes away a feature/experience that Google intended for ALL Nexus users to have and enjoy.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
It's because Verizon lost out on millions and millions of dollars each day that did not have the iphone on their shelves. Unfortunately, the Nexus program and Google had very little weight to throw at Verizon in comparison. Hopefully, the sales of the N4, N7, and N10 will change that. I think they're on to something. Obviously, Google does too. We'll see.

Google owns Motorola..... That's a lot of weight right there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Google owns Motorola..... That's a lot of weight right there.

Google owns Motorola Mobility, not Motorola. Big difference, but neglible for our discussion I suppose. I say the proof is in the pudding, my friend. If Google had enough weight to strictly enforce its vision of the Nexus program on Verizon Wireless, it most certainly would have. They got as much cooperation from VZW as they could. Motorola Mobility lost most its money selling mostly dumb phones. Of course, Google's hoping to change that direction on multiple levels, but bet your arse that Google's main objective in buying MM was its 17,000 patents to stave off impending litigation from Apple and Microsoft. Android itself is only a small, rather insignificant portion of Google Inc. in terms of how it generates revenue. Microsoft and Apple, amoungst others, would LOVE for Google to try flexing its muscles in regards to carriers. Google knows this. Carriers know this. You see the results. Android needs the carriers support as much as the carriers need to sell Andriod devices. Unsubsidized and unlocked devices sold directly from the Play Store is Google's attempt to shake up the industry. Time will tell how it plays out. So far it looks like a winner. Apparently better than expected if the N4/N10 release/debocle is any indication.

Last edited:

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... really?
Well I'm an average guy, I don't post on forums, the only form of root I know grow down from trees or is sold by Barq's, and ROM is usually preceded by CD. I'm buying myself some new phones/phone lines for the holidays and the Galaxy Nexus is $0 with a new phone line?
Will I have photosphere? Will I have the latest version of Jelly Bean?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm an average guy, I don't post on forums, the only form of root I know grow down from trees or is sold by Barq's, and ROM is usually preceded by CD. I'm buying myself some new phones/phone lines for the holidays and the Galaxy Nexus is $0 with a new phone line?
Will I have photosphere? Will I have the latest version of Jelly Bean?

Not until Verizon gets around to pushing it. That's what the whole debate is about with regard to carrier-branded versions of the Nexus.

To get updates when the GSM version of the Nexus gets them, you'll have to access the root account of your phone and flash a new ROM.

In layman's terms: you'll have to bypass the system-level security measures that the manufacturer and Google put in place and replace the factory-installed version of Android with a newer version obtained directly from Google (or one of the customized versions built by a 3rd-party developer like Cyanogen).

I'm fully capable of doing that, but even I don't want to be bothered with having to do that in order to stay up-to-date with the latest version of Android. I'm not surprised that anyone else would be averse to jumping through those hoops.

But I'm very glad that it's an option.

imnotajedi

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I am sick of this. I blame the Nexus since I do not have 4.2.1 and going to get a different phone from Verizon that does.

Wait.......there isn't one.

Last edited:

imnotajedi

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong. But below is the basic order of operation.

Normal phones:
Google comes out with new OS (say 4.2.1)
Manufacturer plays with it and/or tweeks it (say GSIII)
Then gets sent to carrier(say Verizion)
Verizon then does whatever they do.
Then the update gets pushed out.

Nexus device:
Google comes out with update(4.2.1)
Then gets sent to carrier(say Verizion), unless you have an unlock(As in unlocked from carrier. I.E. one from the Play Store. Then skip to the last step)

Nexus still wins and in my opinion has a longer life cycle for updates. Plus since it is an AOSP phone the ROMs are more stable.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong. But below is the basic order of operation.

Normal phones:
Google comes out with new OS (say 4.2.1)
Manufacturer plays with it and/or tweeks it (say GSIII)
Then gets sent to carrier(say Verizion)

Nexus device:
Google comes out with update(4.2.1)
Then gets sent to carrier(say Verizion), unless you have an unlock(As in unlocked from carrier. I.E. one from the Play Store. Then skip to the last step)

Nexus still wins and in my opinion has a longer life cycle for updates. Plus since it is an AOSP phone the ROMs are more stable.

That's about the size of it. To put it more succinctly...

Normal Phones:
Google > OEM > Carrier > User

Carrier-branded Nexus:
Google > Carrier > User

Non-carrier-branded (unlocked GSM) Nexus:
Google > User

The more entities between Google and the User, the more delays, and the longer it takes to get an update (unless you take matters into your own hands by rooting/ROMing).