This phone is only three upgrades behind now

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
When you say "this phone" I presume you mean your phone. Because my phone is pretty much up to date. And yours can be too, it's your choice to stay 3 updates behind.

Mr.Mcgoo

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Mine is running JB so not sure 3 behind means, did I miss something i know I have heard about 4.1.2 or something but curious now...

jss2

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
In my mind, as long as the Verizon Galaxy Nexus continues to be supported by AOSP, it's not behind at all. Sure, it would be better if Verizon didn't insist on delaying everything. But the more important thing is full support from AOSP. And the Verizon Galaxy Nexus is currently fully supported, up to and including 4.2.1. The proprietary binary files that are needed for a full, complete, working build of Android 4.2.1 are available for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
When you say "this phone" I presume you mean your phone. Because my phone is pretty much up to date. And yours can be too, it's your choice to stay 3 updates behind.

I am confident you know exactly what I mean. I hope you have the character and integrity not to act the way you acted the last time this was discussed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jss2

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok didn't know it jumped that much already, are these big improvements over 4.1.1 ?

4.1.2 was a small improvement from 4.1.1
4.2 was a big jump (many added features, though introduced some bugs)
4.2.1 was a small improvement over 4.2, and fixed some of the minor bugs

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
We've had this phone for a year, now. You should be pretty used to the fact that about 2 months after the release of 4.2x we will get an OTA and it will be way earlier than any other Non-Nexus.

I have the most current on my Nexus 10 and I can't think of one feature I am hungry for on the GNex. I can, however, think of a few things I could hold off more than two months before being saddled with..

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
We've had this phone for a year, now. You should be pretty used to the fact that about 2 months after the release of 4.2x we will get an OTA and it will be way earlier than any other Non-Nexus.

I have the most current on my Nexus 10 and I can't think of one feature I am hungry for on the GNex. I can, however, think of a few things I could hold off more than two months before being saddled with..

In my opinion there is no justifiable for VZW to drag their feet on these updates.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I am confident you know exactly what I mean. I hope you have the character and integrity not to act the way you acted the last time this was discussed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

WTH are you talking about? Integrity is defined to be with honesty and morality. I can't remember any post where I was dishonest or immoral.

As to the whine-fest people like to push on the rest of us, yes maybe that's it, you didn't like me calling out the whiners. Is that it?

As my dad used to say, "Son, if you don't like it, do something about it. Don't whine about it."

You always have a choice. Whining is one of them. It's just not a productive choice.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Threads complaining about the 2 month wait for upgrades from Verizon, a fact which we should all be aware of at this point, are as pointless as posts telling people to unlock and flash their own update.

At the end of the day nothing gets accomplished except for some bickering and flexing behind computer screens. Everyone chillax :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Threads complaining about the 2 month wait for upgrades from Verizon, a fact which we should all be aware of at this point, are as pointless as posts telling people to unlock and flash their own update.

At the end of the day nothing gets accomplished except for some bickering and flexing behind computer screens. Everyone chillax :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

and yet there will still be plenty more made

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Aren't we lucky! Our Nexus devices are only 3 upgrades behind.

The entire process VZW uses to approve updates needs to be eliminated in my opinion

I think it's not the content of the updates that are the main issue here, it's the frustration that an update exists and you don't have it, psychologically diminishing the value of the Nexus in relation to its peers. Technical term: "Keeping up with the Joneses." Even if the sum total of that update fixes a typo and/or adds a month to a calendar (an issue stock VZW phones have avoided I might add), why the sense of entitlement to that update? Is your phone not working as it should, depriving you of enjoyment and/or usability? If yes, would one of these three incremental updates fix the phone?

From VZW's point of view, why cave to a very small (albeit very vocal) audience when you run the risk of alienating everyone else with a poorly deployed update?

I've been with VZW for years, and prior to Android phones I had the BB Storm and BB Storm 2. Back then, Verizon DID push out updates much more rapidly, almost as knee jerk reactions to issues as they manifested. Often times, they made things worse, and when that happened, nobody blamed RIM..they all blamed Big Red. Trust me when I say the recurring theme in this forum would be very different (dare I say even more acrimonious) if updates came that quickly.

Anyway,my point is it behooves VZW to approach device updates in a utilitarian manner.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
You crack me up Jerry.

but back on topic. why do the Mods even let these threads grow? IMO, they should be locked right away.
Yes, we all know the VZW Nexus is the red-headed stepchild of the nexus family....yes, we know it wont get updates as quickly...yes we know you are all pissed.
yes we know you can get the latest and greatest from the ROM community...Yes, we know you are afraid of bricking your device....YES WE KNOW!!!!!
but i am with TabGuy on this one. coming on the forums and reiterating the fact that you want updates or that you dont have the latest updates isn't going to do any good. either live with the fully functioning phone you have, or do something about it (unlock, root, ROM) complaining on here is going to do nothing other than start Flame wars.

FWIW, i have been rooted and unlocked on this phone since day one. and it has been THE best phone i have ever had. Super happy with it. and i never once complained about lack of updates because i usually can flash them the day of or the day after they get pushed to AOSP. i am running a completely stable build of 4.2.1 right now because i took matters into my own hands....not because i make a thread after every update complaining about how it isn't on my phone yet.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You crack me up Jerry.

but back on topic. why do the Mods even let these threads grow? IMO, they should be locked right away.
Yes, we all know the VZW Nexus is the red-headed stepchild of the nexus family....yes, we know it wont get updates as quickly...yes we know you are all pissed.
yes we know you can get the latest and greatest from the ROM community...Yes, we know you are afraid of bricking your device....YES WE KNOW!!!!!
but i am with TabGuy on this one. coming on the forums and reiterating the fact that you want updates or that you dont have the latest updates isn't going to do any good. either live with the fully functioning phone you have, or do something about it (unlock, root, ROM) complaining on here is going to do nothing other than start Flame wars.

FWIW, i have been rooted and unlocked on this phone since day one. and it has been THE best phone i have ever had. Super happy with it. and i never once complained about lack of updates because i usually can flash them the day of or the day after they get pushed to AOSP. i am running a completely stable build of 4.2.1 right now because i took matters into my own hands....not because i make a thread after every update complaining about how it isn't on my phone yet.

Nobody is forcing either you or TabGuy to read or participate in threads like these.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci