Pictures not showing up in Gallery *solved*

mariajuana

May 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm replying to this to provide a likely solution to this issue for those who find this thread while searching for a fix to this problem.

There's a component of Android running on your phone known as the media scanner service. This service is responsible for, in short, 'indexing' the media files on the device and providing a reference to these files to applications which request such existent media -- i.e. the Gallery or Music apps. Occasionally the media scanner does get 'confused' -- for lack of a better term -- and may skip over or ignore files for any number of reasons. Sometimes, rebooting the device will fix the issue; the media scanner performs a full indexing when the device is powered on. However, if this is not the case, you'll need to manually trigger the scanner service to re-scan the available storage. There are applications in the Play Store that will do this for you programmatically.

Here are two such applications, with no endorsements or guarantees from me.

It's likely that by using a file browser application to load, browse through, and select a file, the media scanner correctly identified and reported the image files you weren't seeing in the gallery.

It doesnt work on my Lg g4A
😢

almity omnis

May 6, 2016
Visit site
No this setting does not work on me.....a210.......well this started when i connected it with laptop and try to instal crack version of sygic software.....after that this started........?????????

Pooja Kamble

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
Solved*
I have HTC desire
Gallary didn't shown all images
Steps
1. Open media storage from app manager
2. Clear app data
3. Force stop app
4. Reboot device
You will see all the images updated 😊

Like if it helps

johnnyboy321

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi Everyone :D,
i was also suffering from this same issue like for 1 month. I was totally upset about it and was searching for all kinda solutions unfortunately nothing couldnt help me. But after so much of website surfing and all kinda **** i found a solution for this problem.The real thing happened is that during the update of your phone you phone gets affected by a file called ".nomedia", a file which is actually used to hide things in the phone but during the update, this file gets downloaded into the internal memory and external memory which when the phone reads in the internal or external memory it reads this .nomedia file which tells the phone to skip reading this section so thus the phone doesnt show pictures and videos in the gallery..for some phones even the musics will be also skipped for those phones also this is a solution too. Many people suggests to use rescan bull****s nd rename the .nomedia file...dont do it..theres no use.. because even after you delete the .nomedia file or rename it and restart your phone then by default this .nomedia file will be generated again thus makes your phone again not show the new pictures nd videos...so all you have to do is:

1)connect your android phone to the pc/laptop and copy every important files from the SD card and internal memory.

2)after the copying format your SD card from the pc/laptop. format it completely, so the file which makes the phones reader to skip files will be erased.

3) after that disconnect your phone from the pc/laptop and do a factory reset on your phone by going to settings>backup&reset(for some phones factory reset can be found in the"about phone" section) > Factory reset.
This erases the same file which is inside your internal memory.

4)now right after a factory reset take a picture in your phone and check whether it is showing up in the gallery or not.(ofcourse it will but still)

5)And for the ones suffering from music problems copy a song into your phone and check whether it is showin up in the music player.

AND DONE......
thus your phone is totally a new one and you can now view your videos and photos in the gallery. :)

patstar5

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem on my oneplus one, I pressed "hide" using es file Explorer to hide the camera folder and then I went to hidden files and revealed it. Now everything shows up in gallery!

hmariful

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi!
I have the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy J5. What i had done was went to "My Files>SD Card" and from "More" chosen the "Show Hidden Files" then search for ".nomedia" file. Then deleted all the ".nomedia" files. Then my problem was solved.

Harika pradeep

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
No worries , the same had happened even with me . And i did as follows Solution 1 Note :Do the steps for both Internal and external Card
-> Go to File manager -> Android -> Data -> com.android.gallery3d . Delete this folder ( com.android.gallery3d ) in both internal and external card . Then do the next step . -> Go to Settings -> Apps / Application manager -> Search for Gallery -> Open gallery and Click on Clear Data . -> Then switch off your phone and wait for few minutes ( say 2-3 min ) and then switch On and wait for few min. Thats it now All images and videos are showing in Gallery

Solution 2 -> Go to the respective Folders where images / videos are stored and Go to settings > Show hidden file . And see if there is .NOMEDIA file . If there is such file then delete it . - Then siwtch off and switch on .Thats it

Harika
Both the solutions didnt work for me ... My camera folder is totally missing in my gallery however other folders like whatsapp images whatsapp vedios are still there ... Please help me how can i recover my camera folder ...
I am using LG G4

Artlessone

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
I have been fighting this issue for two days. I did try the deleting of .nomedia files, clear data, stop Media Storage service after clearing data, restart phone, open gallery, and re-enabling the Media Storage as described by Rushabh Mehta.

The result of this did not work for me; I now had nothing in Gallery at all. Additionally, my CM music app, Apollo, now showed zero songs or albums. Zip. Nada. Nothing. And my ringtone and notification sounds were changed. When I tried to select a ringtone There was no list of ringtones available anymore; same with notification sounds! This method of stopping Media Storage is dangerous if you ask me.

So I searched for RalphG's recommended FX Explorer (nextapp.fx version 5.1.0.27) on Google Play, downloaded it, selected the "Media Card", picked the three dots in the upper left of the app and scrolled down to "Rescan Media", which was at the bottom of the list.

The process ran for a minute or two, and all of my photos were back in Gallery, and my songs were all back in Apollo.

I had also previously tried various "rescan media", "rescan SD", "scan media" apps - I went through so many of them I can't remember them all, but I tried at least five of them. They all did nothing or made matters worse.

To try to get my ringtone and notification list back, I selected "Main Storage" in FX Explorer, and used the rescan media as described above. This did not repopulate my list of ringtones. So I shut the phone off, took out the battery for a few minutes, restarted, and watched after boot in OS Monitor (com.eolwral.osmonitor Version 3.5.0.7) until CPU usage went down to near zero (meaning it was finished starting up). And now my ringtones are back.

Only RalphG's recommended FX Explorer's rescan media function worked for repopulating the Gallery and Apollo music player!

Thank you RalphG! This definitely worked for me!

Last edited:

Ibrahim Woah

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Alright y'all, this is my first reply and it's probably gonna be one of my best. SO LISTEN UP! The actual fix for people who still have the problem even after trying everything that has been said here, is to go to Settings > Applications > Application manager > Disabled. Then, enable the 'Media Storage' application. Try taking a photo and see if it saves, if it doesn't then reboot your phone, try again, and come back to thank me :p

Anatradux

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Holy **** I have been googling this stupid problem for DAYS and have tried EVERYTHING that's been mentioned on here and a million other forums. THIS finally solved it for me! Thank you!

For those just finding this thread, go to Settings/ Application Manager/ All/ Media Storage and then delete the cache, clear data, force stop, and then turn it off and on. After that just restart and check your gallery.

Anyways thanks again!

WARNING: This method deletes ALL media on the device. Make sure you back up your data first.

Haoto Akiyama

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
hi Pals,

just connect your mobile to pc or laptop...
open your SD card then go to search option and search .NOMEDIA.. Select all files after getting search results, and delete all files.
do the same steps clicking your internal memory also..
no need to restart... go to gallery after disconnecting your mobile from PC or Laptop..

it worked perfect..

Ramesh

It won't allow me to delete the .nomedia file. Why isn't it working for me?

cindymyg97

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
I have a problem with my Lenovo A6000. My gallery seems to reject any pictures that I save straight from social media, or even sent via Bluetooth or ShareIt as well as those that I copied from my laptop. But pictures that I took using the device's I own camera appears on the gallery. It's just the photos I download, copy, or send won't appear and look corrupted. Same goes for music. I even tried downloading mp3 files using my phone but my media players say it does not support the file. I haven't tried sending documents to my phone but I get a feeling it will be the same. I actually tried downloading gallery apps but it's still the same. It can't read my files. I also have 3 music players but all of them can't read any mp3 files. What should I do?

Raggadyandi

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I am not very techie, but I followed a lot of the advice here and nothing worked. All I can think of is my "media" storage doesn't say "all/media". I found the .nomedia file using an app that "explored" my phone. It's actually called "Exployer" and I searched for ".nomedia" and TONS of files came up that had this as an ending, so went to the top of the long list, and clicked on first one, which opened a "parent file" and there it was! .nomedia I was so excited! Deleted it, then went back to my "media" storage, and cleared cache, forced stop and disabled. Re-booted the phone, went back to my "media" storage and enabled it....AND ...nope, when I download a picture from my Google Drive app on the phone, does not go into my gallery...(>_<)
Out of frustration, b/c I needed those pics in my gallery NOW, I noticed there was an option to "send copy" when I clicked on one of the pictures in my google drive app, so I sent a copy to "Messages" and then texted it to myself! Then I received the text, long clicked on the picture, choose, "save attachment" and finally, it ended up in my Gallery! It's a work around for now, but at least I can continue my work! Just wanted to share this with any non-techies as people have done in the past and I really appreciated it!

Anonymous Potato

Aug 31, 2017
Visit site
Re: Pictures not showing up in Gallery

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and the photos I take on my phone don't upload to the Gallery. The photos can be found under Myfiles/Images but my gallery is completely empty. I have downloaded the scan media app but this has not helped. How can I get my photos to automatically upload into the Gallery?
Thanks for your help

I'm having the same problem with all of my pictures in every album

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
If you freeze CMHProvider on nougat or marshmallow pictures will not show in gallery i know from experiences someome maybe will find useful this information.

Regard

Yana muzha

Dec 15, 2017
Visit site
I tried to disable my gallery on the apps setting, and then enabled it again, and it's fixed. The pics show up again in the gallery
The same happens also in music

Lady Ashiie

Jan 7, 2018
Visit site
My phone is a Huawei Y5 and my gallery just stop working I don't know why......my gallery stop working when I took a screenshot in instagram

Any help?

Syed Aitezaz

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Problem solved.......go to gallery and stay ther....now disconect wifi and reconnect and tap tap tap tap in the gallery but not the gallery folder but in the empty area.......aftr a second or two ur gallery will be refreshed...........let me knw if it works...thankx in advance

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
This was a problem for me after the Oreo update. I could see all the photos for my phone, but not for the SD card.

I applied a lite version of the first suggestion. Under Settings/Apps/Gallery (there is no ALL), I selected Storage, then Clear Cache.

This did the trick, and now Gallery sees everything from both sources.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463