Why is the Nexus 4 so popular? These are the problems I have with it...

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
So, this means the phone must run an old build of the operating system, or radios, to enable LTE? Is this really something anyone should be proud of in a "flagship" phone? Damn I can't wait for the BlackBerry Z10 to release. Now that's a flagship phone

Lte was never technically supported so the fact that its blocked on a modem isn't a huge deal but for those who can and do use lte there is a solution that in no way affects the usability of the new firmware. Clearly you aren't a root user or you would know modems really are better or worse depending on area its not uncommon to use radios not offered by said firmware. Because I travel I keep several radios on my SD and swap as needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Lte was never technically supported so the fact that its blocked on a modem isn't a huge deal but for those who can and do use lte there is a solution that in no way affects the usability of the new firmware. Clearly you aren't a root user or you would know modems really are better or worse depending on area its not uncommon to use radios not offered by said firmware. Because I travel I keep several radios on my SD and swap as needed.

Yeah I didn't root my galaxy nexus immediately after I got it. I'm totally not running CM10.1 and don't know my way around TWRP and busy box. You caught me.

My point is apple and blackberry are intelligent enough to release a true flagship phone with all possible technology available and not become such a laughingstock. No wonder Samsung is going away from android

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
These weren't meant to be super ultra mega flagships. At its core its still a developers platform Google severely underestimated demand and lte is still not a massive market in the grand worldwide scheme of things you are looking at the US only. After the issues they had dealing with vzw I'm not surprised they said screw it.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Basically I'm an ass and don't really care what online tough guys think of me. I have my opinion of the Nexus 4 and you have yours. I guess we have to agree to disagree. Or as Si on Duck Dynasty would say disagree to disagree. I would not trade my Galaxy Nexus for a Nexus 4 (and not just because it won't work on Verizon btdub) I think that the gnex is the superior device.

Good thing what u think and what are facts are 2 separate things. The n4 is better in every way unless u see a non removable battery and glass back as downfalls

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Good thing what u think and what are facts are 2 separate things. The n4 is better in every way unless u see a non removable battery and glass back as downfalls

Unfortunately that's the direction all manufacturers are heading. I may be partial to my gnex but looking at the two phones and their drawbacks the gnex is the better phone. But I don't live in Europe or an area without lte. Thusly the 4 is not worth my time nor money. I'll take my gnex or an I phone over it any day

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately that's the direction all manufacturers are heading. I may be partial to my gnex but looking at the two phones and their drawbacks the gnex is the better phone. But I don't live in Europe or an area without lte. Thusly the 4 is not worth my time nor money. I'll take my gnex or an I phone over it any day

So LTE trumps screen,processor,ram, newer os, bigger battery? To each their own I guess

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
So LTE trumps screen,processor,ram, newer os, bigger battery? To each their own I guess

I'll take speed over anything. If ya ain't first you're last. Shake and bake

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'll take speed over anything. If ya ain't first you're last. Shake and bake

Idk I had a razr on Verizon less than a year ago. Now I use T-Mobile with the n4 I'm not even in an hspa+42 area and still get around 15mbps download

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Idk I had a razr on Verizon less than a year ago. Now I use T-Mobile with the n4 I'm not even in an hspa+42 area and still get around 15mbps download

My area is big red only country. Trade off for being in the country. I don't have the option of switching carriers. Even still I would not choose the 4 over the note 2 or sg3.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
My area is big red only country. Trade off for being in the country. I don't have the option of switching carriers. Even still I would not choose the 4 over the note 2 or sg3.

That's fine but don't make baseless points that aren't fact.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I do what I want cause I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. The fact remains that the 4 does not have (legally speaking) lte and that was a huge mistake my Google. We roast apple and blackberry for similar mistakes with their releases yet praise Google when they do the same things...

If an iPhone was $300 with no lte off contract then I would give them some praise. I don't give praise to any phone that costs $700+ off contract whether android or iPhone or blackberry

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
[quoted post deleted by moderator]

I wouldn't trade my Gnex for a n4 either.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Plus look at my Chicago speeds

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360970031490.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360970031490.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 25
Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey look I'm right as per the usual.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=37965998

Strawman argument? Canada doesn't have a FCC and thus they're able to enjoy the Nexus 4's LTE without legal repercussions.

You didn't actually refute him.. T-Mobile knows which phones are Nexus 4s and won't allow LTE at the account level until a version of the Nexus 4 clears the FCC with LTE authorization. Look what happened to the T-Mobile Galaxy S3..

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

aybarrap1

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Honestly guys...this a mute point. Everyone has their opinions. Some people are perfectly fine being locked into contracts while others, like the many here, are not. Some people like the N4, others do not. That is why we all have choices, especially among android devices. Does the Nexus 4 have some limitations--sure. But it also has some outstanding features for the price range. I did not get one because the 16gigs (less when considering formatting, system, and apps) is not quite enough. If it had an onboard memory slot or sold in a 32 gig version, I would have been all over it (even if it had been at $399). But that is just me. I can get over the fact of a non removable battery or the lack of sd memory if it was available in 32 gigs. While the "cloud" is great, it does not beat internal memory vs the usage of data or wifi for stuff when looking at battery consumption.

As far as the N4 being a flagship phone....this makes no sense. Flagship seems to indicate that it is "star" phone among all the current phones made by the company. For Google, the N4 is the only current phone being sold. Given the low numbers produced I would say that LG does not consider it the flagship. Since it is the only model (with the only difference being storage) offered by Google, then it is simply the Nexus 4 and labeling it the flagship is incorrect.

Ok...Google made a Global android phone...and there is no LTE (officially). If this bothers you...don't buy it. If you like another phones specs and or software variants of Android, then go with that. If you like Apple, go to Apple. Like Blackberry or Microsoft...go that way.

Now as to the actual reason for the post...why so popular? Price weighed against specs (both good and bad based off individual needs, wants, and opinions), the ability to be contract free with an unlocked phone (although choices are limited to SIM companies in the U.S.), a truly global phone for those that may travel, looks (I would imagine someone bought it for this reason), and maybe because for a while getting one was an enigma because of a lack of availability (exclusiveness). I think the reasons pretty much rank in this order.

Last edited: