Groove IP On Verizon's Galaxy Nexus

soundfx4

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm disappointed and frustrated beyond all reason with Groove IP, it is looking to be the biggest POC app that I've ever tried to use...yet other people are obviously using it without issues, so I have to wonder if it has something to do with the Galaxy Nexus and Verizon? Here is the situmacation:

I'm at work with a strong 4G connection and low latency (although it acts the same even when connected to wifi) and I will make a call with it. I can hear the other person beautifully without any problems what-so-ever but every single time I am told that they can barely understand me and that I'm breaking up. I am using a bluetooth headset, but even upon disconnecting it, I am still told I'm breaking up. Something is wrong with Groove IP and my phone or my rom, but I have no idea what. The only thing I know for sure is that it is NOT my network or google voice's service, because I have made several calls on my laptop via the gmail google voice interface and it works perfectly fine (with the exact same bluetoothe headset also) and this is over the exact same network(s) that my phone has been on.

Anyone have any ideas as to what it might be? is this a problem that I might be able to fix? Has anyone else experienced this problem on the galaxy nexus?

Thanks.

soundfx4

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Wow good question ...

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

:\ I can't imagine that I'm the only one that is having this problem. Maybe it's not specific to the Nexus -shrugs- No idea. I only posted it here on a hunch but I'm really starting to wish I posted it somewhere else actually. ughh...

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
On any networks you're connected to, the actual available download bandwidth will almost always be greater than the available upload bandwidth. Considering the fact that GrooVe IP and the web-based Google Voice clients are both data services, my guess is that GrooVe IP does not encode, compress, or transmit the data in the same manner as the web-based Google Voice client. As such, the web-based client may have sufficient download bandwidth while GrooVe IP does not.

The only other thing I can think of is that it is indeed a Bluetooth problem with the headset interacting with the phone.

soundfx4

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
On any networks you're connected to, the actual available download bandwidth will almost always be greater than the available upload bandwidth. Considering the fact that GrooVe IP and the web-based Google Voice clients are both data services, my guess is that GrooVe IP does not encode, compress, or transmit the data in the same manner as the web-based Google Voice client. As such, the web-based client may have sufficient download bandwidth while GrooVe IP does not.

The only other thing I can think of is that it is indeed a Bluetooth problem with the headset interacting with the phone.

my upload bandwidth is still greater than that of an average blu-rays audio track bitrate (4-6 Mbps). So I can't imagine that has anything to do with it :\ but wouldn't GrooveIP have to conform to google voices's supported codecs anyway? And doesn't it only use and support one codec? I feel like I've read that somewhere, but I'm not sure.

I can't imagine the bluetooth is the problem either because when I use it to talk to people on my mobile number (which I used to do a lot of when I drove over the road) I've never heard anyone tell me I'm breaking up or that they can't hear me unless I was traveling through a bad area. bah...I don't get it. It has such a high star rating, so this obviously isn't a common issue. I may try and contact the developer, as disappointed as I am, maybe the dev(s) will be helpful and such? I've heard of such personal levels of support before from Android paid apps. But before that...I'm really 100% convinced that I posted this in the wrong section and I apologize for that. Would it be too much trouble for a mod to move this to http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-applications/ ? I can just re-create it and either delete this one (if it's permissible) or edit the OP to indicate I moved the thread to a more appropriate section of the forum if a mod is unable to do so. I apologize again for the trouble.

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I basically stopped using GrooveIP on my stock Verizon Galaxy Nexus for the exact same reason. The developer lives in my town (which I found out when I emailed for support for the same issues). He told me that his works perfectly (and we are using the same cell towers), and to try standing closer (that is to say- directly next to) the wireless router that you are connecting through. That fixed my problem, but it does not make it any easier to use.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Have similar issues with grooveip on the gnex. It works fine on the S3.

I've changed to using talkatone on the gnex. Might want to try that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

soundfx4

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Have similar issues with grooveip on the gnex. It works fine on the S3.

I've changed to using talkatone on the gnex. Might want to try that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

oh wow, so it very well may have something to do with the nexus. >.< talkatone...does it use google voice service? ahh, nevermind, a little swagbucking and I found that it does work! Btw, thank you so much to whoever enabled strike through text. most forums dont' have it and I find it very useful! :D

soundfx4

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to revive an old thread, but just wanted to report my findings with talkatone. Talkatone seems to work a bit better in some ways, worse in others. It uses such a low quality encoding method, which I actually wouldn't mind except for the fact that it occasionally makes a horrid spike in digital noise. And I would happily pay for talkatone...but it's a subscription service, and that's not okay with me. I will happily pay for an app, but there is no good reason for it to have a subscription fee. It uses (or should be) google's voice servers, otherwise it's just an application interface to work with google's voice servers. But maybe talkatone has their own severs that it goes through first or something, but if that's the case I definitely wouldn't want to use them, that sounds like more potential latency problems. At any rate, there's no good reason that I can imagine to have people connect to their servers first before GV -shrugs-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL