I Will NEVER Be Happy With Any Non-Nexus Phone

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
and I have unlimited data on Verizon, which where I live is the only 4G LTE network, so I can't switch carriers. I can't see myself ever being happy with a non-Nexus phone. Sigh.

I will upgrade to the Galaxy Note 3 when it comes out since it doesn't look like Verizon will ever get another Nexus. And I am sure it will be a great phone, but it won't be a Nexus.:'(

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
and I have unlimited data on Verizon, which where I live is the only 4G LTE network, so I can't switch carriers. I can't see myself ever being happy with a non-Nexus phone. Sigh.

I will upgrade to the Galaxy Note 3 when it comes out since it doesn't look like Verizon will ever get another Nexus. And I am sure it will be a great phone, but it won't be a Nexus.:'(

Time to form a Nexus Anonymous group... lol.

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Will you have unlimited data for your next contract renewal?

Right now I have unlimited, but this is the last time. I will lose unlimited if I renew...which I probably won't. Buying a new Nexus from Google and jumping ship for T-Mobile for unlimited data and no-contract plans sounds like a better deal to me. Of course, who knows what will be going on when that time comes.

lordwalker

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

Right now I have unlimited, but this is the last time. I will lose unlimited if I renew...which I probably won't. Buying a new Nexus from Google and jumping ship for T-Mobile for unlimited data and no-contract plans sounds like a better deal to me. Of course, who knows what will be going on when that time comes.

I'm in the same boat. Don't want to loose my unlimited data so:

You can keep your unlimited if you don't purchase a phone at the subsidised rate that requires you to sigh another 2 year commitment. Just get a high quality used phone off of ebay when you are ready to switch and keep you unlimited Data.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm in a similar situation but the GSM carriers aren't an option. I need a robust national network, so T-Mobile is out. I've dealt with AT&T before and won't make that mistake again.

My best option might be to buy a Galaxy S5 in 2014, rip out Touchwhiz, and install stock Android.

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Except, it seems that Verizon may never get another Nexus phone. Google may not be making another CDMA version of the Nexus. And, like the OP, I refuse to get another non-Nexus phone.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

You only lose unlimited if you buy a subsidized phone using the upgrade on the unlimited line. Paying full price for a new flagship phone would suck, though!

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Paying full price for the new Nexus from Google directly is much cheaper than paying full price from a carrier...not sure why, but that's what it seems. According to Best Buy mobile, the unactivated price for the new Nexus 4 is $600.00. They sell it directly from Google for $349.00.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Paying full price for the new Nexus from Google directly is much cheaper than paying full price from a carrier...not sure why, but that's what it seems. According to Best Buy mobile, the unactivated price for the new Nexus 4 is $600.00. They sell it directly from Google for $349.00.
The CDMA stuff is proprietary and I doubt Verizon will ever let Google sell a CDMA Nexus directly.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Saw an article earlier (on AC?) predicting LTE-only phones debuting on VZW next year, so the issue could soon be moot.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
VoLTE - voice over LTE, something they began talking about a year or more ago.

It would be awesome to finally have a VZW phone useable in Europe.

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
According to the article, it only mentions that Verizon will offer LTE-only phones, as opposed to LTE/CDMA phones that are out now. I'm sure CDMA will be around for a few more years yet.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
According to the article, it only mentions that Verizon will offer LTE-only phones, as opposed to LTE/CDMA phones that are out now. I'm sure CDMA will be around for a few more years yet.
Right, but in order for those LTE-only phones to be useful across the US, LTE must be everywhere, otherwise when you are traveling, you would not be able to make a voice call if you were in an area that didn't yet have LTE, correct?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I too have tried to go non-Nexus but just can't...
Every year since the Nexus One I've also bought a non-Nexus, but the allure of stock Android keeps bringing me back!

This year I'll be getting the S4 to replace my S3 but will also be getting the N5. I'll probably try to go a few months with the S4 as my primary, but not sure if I can do it. I try each year & each year I go back to the my Nexus.

*sigh*

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel