Thinking of trading back to the nexus

tedbearclaw

May 6, 2012
Visit site
So am I crazy I let me sister have my nexus when I floor my gs, she really likes the gs3 and to be quite honest I kinda miss my nexus. As current nexus operators would you say I am crazy to switch back?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
As current nexus operators would you say I am crazy to switch back?

I love everything about my GNex except for the battery life. I don't know how the GNex battery life compares to the S3, but if it's significantly better that would be the most important difference hardware-wise. The other big difference is Touchwiz, which I don't care for, and the ability to unlock the bootloader and flash custom ROMs.

col_krismiss

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the same phone as you and I recommend either keeping it or getting a nexus 4 (if you can switch carriers). I've never had a gnex but using someone else's after the s3, the screen looks straight up yellow. My s3 has an unlocked bootloader and am running a custom rom, so you can get stock Android if you want. So the only advantage to the nexus is updates, but if it's on Verizon that's not really true is it?

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the same phone as you and I recommend either keeping it or getting a nexus 4 (if you can switch carriers).
The problem with the nexus 4 is that it isn't a 4G LTE device. The reason people are willing to pay so much for service from Verizon is because of the 4G LTE speeds. So you would have to be OK with HSPA+ speeds, and if you have unlimited data on Verizon, once you give it up, you can never get it back. I am not willing to give up my unlimited data or 4G LTE speeds.

I've never had a gnex but using someone else's after the s3, the screen looks straight up yellow.
That sounds like a defective screen.

My s3 has an unlocked bootloader and am running a custom rom, so you can get stock Android if you want. So the only advantage to the nexus is updates, but if it's on Verizon that's not really true is it?
The OTA updates definitely lag on Verizon, but if you are willing to flash a custom ROM you can get all the features.

col_krismiss

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My point is that the only real benefit to the nexus is lost on Verizon. If you're willing to put custom roms on the gnex it isn't hard to do the same for the s3. The s3 has amazing developer support.

Is it a defective screen? I've always read it had a kind of slight yellow tint, and the s3 kinda has a blue tint. Going from one to the other could really show the colors.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
My point is that the only real benefit to the nexus is lost on Verizon.
It's not completely lost. If you want to remain stock and not unlock and root, the GNex still gets updates faster than the phones with the skins on Verizon. The GNex received JB about 6 months after being the first phone to have ICS. And 4.2.2 is on the way soon. Updates are not as fast as the Nexus 4, for sure, but much faster than motorola or other samsung devices on Verizon. And again, if you value 4G LTE speeds and unthrottled unlimited data, Verizon is your only option. I wouldn't give my unthrottled unlimited 4G LTE data up for any phone.

Is it a defective screen? I've always read it had a kind of slight yellow tint, and the s3 kinda has a blue tint. Going from one to the other could really show the colors.
Mine has never looked yellow to me. I will have to compare it to the S3 next time I am in a Verizon store.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Not sure if you stated if that particular GNex was rooted or not. But, you can easily tweak the color settings via the kernel settings. You can make it look however you want. By default, I am sure some phones may have some weird tint to them. Has anyone not changed the picture settings on their tv?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

col_krismiss

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if it was or not, but you're missing my point, if you were to stick with the gnex and root and mod it, then you can do the same to the s3 and have overall better experience. The s3 has a better camera, faster cpu, more ram, better screen. Maybe if you like the build of the gnex, I think the gnex feels much more sturdy and I wouldn't be as afraid of dropping it.

col_krismiss

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have never rooted a gnex before, but the s3 has a huge developer base and I found it easy to root. Easier than my Dinc and as easy as my epic 4g

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I gave my wife my Razr Maxx HD and switched back to the Nexus Galaxy. I went ahead and brought the extended 2100 mAh samsung battery and could not be happier

- - - Updated - - -

I gave my wife my Razr Maxx HD and switched back to the Nexus Galaxy. I went ahead and brought the extended 2100 mAh samsung battery and could not be happier

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar