Battery Drain after VZW OTA 4.2.2 Update?

Gherkin Savorus

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I was having similar issues when moving to 4.2.2 (albeit with a 3rd party ROM). My (extended) battery life went from about 16 hours to more like 4, and my phone was hot all the time (even when off). I did quite a bit of research, and the fingers were being pointed at exchange and/or maps. I removed my exchange account, deleted data, and re-added, and uninstalled and reinstalled google maps. That finally seemed to get my phone back to normal.

Papasmerf

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here. Except mine won't even hold a charge now. My battery drained in less than 2 hours. I disabled maps, pulled the battery and sim, stopped running apps, and I just watched it have 18% battery and go down to zero in less than 1 minute. No joke. It seems that most of the battery drain is caused by the apps. I really don't know what to do at this point, but this is really upsetting. Nothing I've tried here has worked. What is this exchange account also? Any advice, help? Thanks!

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here. Except mine won't even hold a charge now. My battery drained in less than 2 hours. I disabled maps, pulled the battery and sim, stopped running apps, and I just watched it have 18% battery and go down to zero in less than 1 minute. No joke. It seems that most of the battery drain is caused by the apps. I really don't know what to do at this point, but this is really upsetting. Nothing I've tried here has worked. What is this exchange account also? Any advice, help? Thanks!
I would do a factory reset and let the 4.2.2 reinstall without putting any apps on it. Then I would see how it ran. Then if it runs better, install apps one by one and continue to monitor how it does.

If that doesn't work, I would take it into Verizon if it is that bad. Just be sure and relock and reroot first if you are unlocked and rooted.

nmc445

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I do route my work email through Exchange Services. That seems to be a common denominator or culprit based on this thread.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm considering the "Factory Reset" option, but have never attempted.

What's the protocol? What should I expect during & after? I presume I need to re-load apps?

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering the "Factory Reset" option, but have never attempted.

First, get all your contacts and pictures backed-up and your texts, too if you need to save them and of course anything else on your phone you want saved.

Then go to settings, backup and reset, factory data reset and press it.

nmc445

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all.

I spoke with both a VZW District Manager & a Google Help Desk agent --- both endorsed the hard reset.

Neither person was aware of an ongoing issue with the 4.2 update. Though maybe it's too early for it be flagged & disseminated to the ground troops.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I use Touchdown Pro to handle my Exchange duties. It is so far superior to the native client that you should use it for that reason alone.

Also no battery issues as of 4.2.2.

$0.02

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I use Touchdown, but am still having a battery drain issue. It isn't the Exchange service using mine, it is the Android System at 48%. I'm only getting 3.5 hours on a full extended battery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ammarmon

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been having terrible battery drain since the update but mine appears to be bluetooth related more than anything. BBS is pointing the finger at several bt processes. I'm not sure if it's 4.2.2 or the new Honda (got both the same day) . I've never had a problem with bt draining battery before. I'll do more research but has anyone else run into the same issue with Hondas bluetooth?

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

Gherkin Savorus

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

Papa, the exchange account is one variety of "regular" email (not gmail), usually associated with a corporate email, or hotmail, or outlook. I suggest going to your email client (if you have one), removing your accounts, then go to settings -> apps -> all, delete data and cache for "exchange services". Reboot, then re-add your email account. For me it was an alternating combo of either exchange or maps devouring my battery life. I also suggest uninstalling maps, rebooting, then reinstalling (maybe delete data for maps as well for good measure before uninstalling).

For me I also did the following, based on another thread I found when digging around about the issue:

Cleared data and cache for the following processes: google account manager, google bookmarks sync, google contacts sync, google play services, google search, google services framework, and network location.

You might try these -if- fixing maps and/or exchange doesn't do it for you. My issues finally went away completely when I uninstalled maps and reinstalled, so it was either maps or (I suspect, based on what my "battery" settings were reporting) a number of things. I'm no expert, but these are the steps I took, and my phone is back to normal today. YMMV

dafunkymunky

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to provide an update on my battery drain issues. I'm happy to say they seem to be a thing of the past since doing a factory reset. Before the reset I could leave my phone alone and within a couple hours the battery would be completely drained. Today was my first full day of use since the reset. Started with full battery at 8am EST and I've still got 16% battery left after 17hrs. I highly recommend anyone having issues to consider a factory reset. On top of my battery drain issue being resolved the phone is also so much faster than it was before.

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Today is the 4th day since the update, the first 3 were great, but today my SMS works take forever to send and my battery would drain so quick. It showed the maps app doing a lot of the draining for some reason. The phone stayed warm all day like it was using the gps but I had it turned off. I powered down 3 times and wouldn't help. When I got home I turned location based setting off to see if it helps, but I'll probably end up doing a factory reset like someone else recommended. Will post an update in a day or two.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
GPS turning on by itself making phone warm and very slow, guess for sure I'll do a reset.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

nmc445

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all!
+1 on the DaFunkyMunky

Did a Factory Reset midday yesterday. An inconvenience for sure, but the last 24 hours have been much better with the battery.

I did also follow the above advice to disable the background data on Currents. I don't use that app anyway.

sjd2246

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Since the update the battery has been draining a little faster not a lot but noticeable. May do a factory reset.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Papasmerf

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
At my wits end. Don't really want to go through the hassle of a factory reset. When I was having battery issues Monday it seemed like it was exchange then after a reboot it was System (drmsever) using close to 50%. Yesterday, I had no issues whatsoever, I was back to 10 hours on battery before recharge.
Today, phone is back dead after 3 hours with System (drm server) using 43% of battery. It won't let me stop it, only export. I tried to research it but don't understand how to make the problem go away. My Amazon MP3 app is also running at 15% even though I keep force stopping it it's using lots of battery. Any advice?

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
System (drmsever) using close to 50%.
That sounds like a digital rights management server. Try uninstalling and reinstalling anything associated with media, like google play, google play services, google music, google books, etc.

My Amazon MP3 app is also running at 15% even though I keep force stopping it it's using lots of battery. Any advice?
Uninstall it and reinstall it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital