06-08-2013 11:00 AM
60 123
tools
    I received the OTA 4.2.2 update this morning.

I have an extended battery. (It's actually my second one, having originally purchased with the phone itself in Sept 2011).

Now, my battery is draining within 90 minutes. I turned off LTE --- has not helped.

For the second time today, I'm going to have to plug the GNex into the wall.

I've tried searching for similar issues. Maybe I did a poor job with the search words.

Any help or ideas??

Thanks in advance.
    03-22-2013 03:49 PM
    other people are experiencing this too. I would try powering it down, then doing a SIM card pull. Wait a few minutes with the SIM card pulled, put it back in and then power back on.
    03-22-2013 03:53 PM
    Strange.... I have a Nexus 4 and my battery life vastly improved after the update.

Is Android 4.2 killing your Nexus' battery life?
    03-22-2013 04:07 PM
    Its probably the exchange server like most are experiencing

sent from a Nexus, nothing less will do...
    03-22-2013 05:20 PM
    Its probably the exchange server like most are experiencing
    What is this business email?
    03-22-2013 05:23 PM
    Yeah, my battery life went to crap after the update. The new features don't matter if I don't have the battery power to use them.
    03-23-2013 03:36 PM
    I'm right there with you. I updated OTA a couple days ago and my Gnex has become worthless in regards to battery life. I used to have no issues at all going all day and not needing to plug into the charger until around 8PM. I have the official Samsung extended battery. Now that I'm updated to 4.2.2 I'm getting maybe 3 hours. What's worse is I'm not even really using the phone much at all. I'm hoping there is some kind of fix out there.
    03-23-2013 03:42 PM
    Add me to the list. My extended battery, which normally lasts at least a full day is now draining within 3-4 hours, and getting hot to the touch. I'm trying various solutions, reboots, shut downs, pulling the battery, etc, but so far no joy. Hope someone comes up with a fix.

Update: I've now tried the supposed Exchange delete & re-add fix, but it didn't help. I am now noticing other things like overall slowness, not receiving notifications for incoming emails (though they show in the list when I look at the account), and my phone not securing itself when I turn off the screen (I have it set to secure after one minute).

The bells and whistles of 4.2.2 are nice, but not worth this issue. Is there any way to uninstall it and go back to 4.1.1?
    03-23-2013 04:03 PM
    I'm going to go ahead and do a factory reset. I want to rule out anything I can. If that doesn't work I'm going to try out the factory battery that came with the unit just to see if its an issue with the extended batteries.

UPDATE: Still waiting for the phone to charge to see if the battery problem is any better but holy smokes this phone is fast after a factory reset.
    03-23-2013 04:33 PM
    All my battery is being taken up by android exchange. Any ideas on how to fix?
    03-23-2013 04:38 PM
    Mine seems to be taken up by Exchange Server and Maps.
    03-23-2013 06:56 PM
    All my battery is being taken up by android exchange. Any ideas on how to fix?
    What happens when you go into settings, apps, running and then clear data and force stop this app? Does that help?
    03-23-2013 07:32 PM
    holy smokes this phone is fast after a factory reset.
    That's because all of those apps you download aren't running!
    03-23-2013 07:33 PM
    Mine seems to be taken up by Exchange Server and Maps.
    When I looked at battery usage, Maps was taking up about 35% of my overall drain. I have since uninstalled it and rebooted the device, and it appears to have reinstalled it and is no longer taking up excessive amounts of battery. YMMV, though.
    03-23-2013 07:56 PM
    That's because all of those apps you download aren't running!
    Nope. I reinstalled all the same apps. Same apps and widgets running as before and still way better. It's got that buttery feeling back. I'm sure it was all the random apps that got installed and uninstalled along the way. Just nice to have a fresh install again.
    03-23-2013 08:15 PM
    I'm having the same problem...extended battery drains within an hour. Exchange using 46% of battery. Phone gets really hot before it shuts down.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm having the same problem...extended battery drains within an hour. Exchange using 46% of battery. Phone gets really hot before it shuts down.
    03-23-2013 09:50 PM
    Count me in n the battery drain problems. I have been have some issues with maps but this may be related to my not backing fully out of the weather radar map. Kaiten email wasn't a huge drain but since I have switched to an all Gmail setup I uninstalled it. 1 hour and 22 minutes and I am at 52%. Phone keeps getting hot and heat=energy when it comes to battery. I am watching very close now but did have some screen on time while I was researching this so I will need to recharge and let it ride for awhile to see the biggest culprit. Right now its Screen 44%, Google Services 15%, Maps 9%, Android OS 8% etc.
    03-24-2013 10:06 AM
    to dafunkymonkey...You never did comment as to improved battery life...
    03-24-2013 12:28 PM
    to dafunkymonkey...You never did comment as to improved battery life...
    It took a while last night to charge back up from drained battery so I didn't get a good chance to test last night. Pulled off the dock this morning and the fast battery drain seems to be gone. I won't be able to give a good update until my usual work day on Monday. I'll be sure to post back here once I have that info.
    03-24-2013 02:50 PM
    The information here helped to improve battery life in my wife's phone.
    03-24-2013 07:44 PM
    I was having similar issues when moving to 4.2.2 (albeit with a 3rd party ROM). My (extended) battery life went from about 16 hours to more like 4, and my phone was hot all the time (even when off). I did quite a bit of research, and the fingers were being pointed at exchange and/or maps. I removed my exchange account, deleted data, and re-added, and uninstalled and reinstalled google maps. That finally seemed to get my phone back to normal.
    03-24-2013 08:28 PM
    My drain is android system running at 29%. How can I improve that?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    03-24-2013 10:27 PM
    Same problem here. Except mine won't even hold a charge now. My battery drained in less than 2 hours. I disabled maps, pulled the battery and sim, stopped running apps, and I just watched it have 18% battery and go down to zero in less than 1 minute. No joke. It seems that most of the battery drain is caused by the apps. I really don't know what to do at this point, but this is really upsetting. Nothing I've tried here has worked. What is this exchange account also? Any advice, help? Thanks!
    03-25-2013 10:04 AM
    Same problem here. Except mine won't even hold a charge now. My battery drained in less than 2 hours. I disabled maps, pulled the battery and sim, stopped running apps, and I just watched it have 18% battery and go down to zero in less than 1 minute. No joke. It seems that most of the battery drain is caused by the apps. I really don't know what to do at this point, but this is really upsetting. Nothing I've tried here has worked. What is this exchange account also? Any advice, help? Thanks!
    I would do a factory reset and let the 4.2.2 reinstall without putting any apps on it. Then I would see how it ran. Then if it runs better, install apps one by one and continue to monitor how it does.

If that doesn't work, I would take it into Verizon if it is that bad. Just be sure and relock and reroot first if you are unlocked and rooted.
    03-25-2013 10:16 AM
    I do route my work email through Exchange Services. That seems to be a common denominator or culprit based on this thread.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm considering the "Factory Reset" option, but have never attempted.

What's the protocol? What should I expect during & after? I presume I need to re-load apps?
    03-25-2013 11:48 AM
60 123