Nexus is suddenly slow and laggy...how should I troubleshoot?

Toddzilla#WN

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Nexus for close to 2 years now and have had 4.2 since it was pushed out by Verizon. I didn't notice any lag issues until recently (past couple of weeks). The lag is especially slow while starting Google Now and waiting for the voice search prompt to show up. The cards take even longer. The only app that I have added lately is Yahoo Weather.

Is there any way I can try and troublshoot this and find a misbehaving app or an update that is causing this lag? I've erased apps that I don't use much, but that hasn't helped. Is there a cache I can clear or is this just expected with a device this old?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Nexus for close to 2 years now and have had 4.2 since it was pushed out by Verizon. I didn't notice any lag issues until recently (past couple of weeks). The lag is especially slow while starting Google Now and waiting for the voice search prompt to show up. The cards take even longer. The only app that I have added lately is Yahoo Weather.

Is there any way I can try and troublshoot this and find a misbehaving app or an update that is causing this lag? I've erased apps that I don't use much, but that hasn't helped. Is there a cache I can clear or is this just expected with a device this old?

Try rebooting into recovery. Power off and hold volume up and power until you see the Samsung logo.
Recovery screen may look like this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

Toddzilla#WN

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Golfdriver97-

I assume I should boot into recovery and click the "Wipe Cache Partition" option and then "Reboot System Now"?

Also, will this erase any data (pics, contacts, accounts, etc) like a factory reset?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Golfdriver97-

I assume I should boot into recovery and click the "Wipe Cache Partition" option and then "Reboot System Now"?

Also, will this erase any data (pics, contacts, accounts, etc) like a factory reset?

Q1: Yes.
Q2: No.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Toddzilla#WN

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Golfdriver97-

Sorry for the dumb questions and thanks for your help...I cleared the cache and so far it seems to be running more smoothly..Thanks again!

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
All I get when I try that is the red triangle with exclamation point.
I'm bone stock, so I don't know what could be wrong except possibly having installed Helium.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Golfdriver97-

Sorry for the dumb questions and thanks for your help...I cleared the cache and so far it seems to be running more smoothly..Thanks again!

I had only a few seconds to type. Sorry for what seemed like a curt reply. No question is dumb.
Glad it is helping. See you in the forums.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm bone stock, so I don't know what could be wrong except possibly having installed Helium.

So you are having the same problem?

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
So you are having the same problem?
Problem-ish. Slow and laggy. I run pretty lean, so it should go about as fast as a GNex can go.
I say problem-ish because I did a complete reset recently and the end result wasn't drastically better.
Yeah, it's a Nexus, but yeah it's two years old.

Wouldn't mind something simple like clearing a cache that wouldn't require a lot of work, if it was available, tho.
Would probably prefer a new Nexus or a 32GB MotoX if it was available on Verizon.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Problem-ish. Slow and laggy. I run pretty lean, so it should go about as fast as a GNex can go.
I say problem-ish because I did a complete reset recently and the end result wasn't drastically better.
Yeah, it's a Nexus, but yeah it's two years old.

Wouldn't mind something simple like clearing a cache that wouldn't require a lot of work, if it was available, tho.
Would probably prefer a new Nexus or a 32GB MotoX if it was available on Verizon.

Have you tried clearing the cache?

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Do you mean "Wipe Cache Partition" in recovery? I tried to go into recovery but All I get when I try that is the red triangle with exclamation point.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I am honestly not sure what else to suggest. Sorry.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
My suggestion to myself is going to be to stick it out as long as possible and then buy a new phone. It's not that bad, but I would have done the wipe if I could.

Thank you for giving it a shot, though!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My suggestion to myself is going to be to stick it out as long as possible and then buy a new phone. It's not that bad, but I would have done the wipe if I could.

Thank you for giving it a shot, though!

Sorry it didn't go anywhere. See you in the forums.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Do you mean "Wipe Cache Partition" in recovery? I tried to go into recovery but All I get when I try that is the red triangle with exclamation point.

So, at this point you hold the power button & tap vol+ to get the recovery menu.

Wiping the cache definitely helps, some... don't expect miracles and do expect to do it weekly.

I just flashed a 4.3 rom... we'll see how much TRIM improves things.

I also just picked up a G2 on the upgrade glitch, and it blows the GN out of the water a hundred times over (literally 10x the Quadrant score of the 4.3 GN)