Verizon Galaxy Nexus - Not to beat a dead horse, but: Google Now vs Voice Search

ddunk1946

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Galaxy Nexus w/ JB 4.2.2. I have on my primary home screen what is probably the original search app. It is a blue button with a white mic in it and is labeled Voice Search. It opens with the microphone active, ready to receive voice input.

On a secondary screen is, from what I'm now reading in the forums, Google Now, a blue button with the stylized Google 'G' in it and is labeled simply 'Google'. Tapping that brings up the mic {and card system that seems to indicate that it's Google Now) but you must say 'Go Google' to activate the mic. An extra step, but NBD (No Big Deal).

The lone app that is installed that would seem to run one or both of these is titled 'Google Search' and is v. 2.8.8.849369.arm.

Both buttons seem to work exactly the same, search results-wise, which begs the following question:

Which should I keep; both buttons, one or the other, or none. :) (this keyboard won't type a question mark).

Or just shut up and go away; we've got bigger things to worry about...haha

Thanks,

chram893

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what your preferences and intentions are. Like you mentioned before, the "Google" app (blue box with G icon) actually opens the Google Now application and services. First, it presents you with useful information on cards. You will still be able to utilize the voice search option by selecting the microphone at the top of the app. The actual Voice Search app bypasses the Google Now info cards and directly activates the voice search feature of Google Now. Like I said, it's up to you on whether which input method you decide to use. Although, there is already a permanent search bar with voice search at the top of every home screen. You could save some screen space by not using either Google search app and by just using the Google search/voice bar.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000