06-18-2011 04:26 PM
34 12
tools
    IMO, the way I see it, the Charge is destined to be an obsolete and unsupported device, simply because everything in it other than the 4g modem is already 1-2 year old technology. The device was already mostly irrelevant before it was released, and even if the GSII doesn't launch with 4g, the charge officially becomes obsolete the day the Bionic launches.

Now, from Samsung's perspective, the only thing that will hurt more than cannibalizing their Charge sales, is to push the GSII as a 3g only, and give Moto the only Dual Core 4g in town. Business wise, Moto getting free reign on dual core LTE for 3-4 months is enough to completely revitalize their business (again). Meanwhile if Samsung pushes a 4g LTE GSII, and can launch it near the August Bionic launch date, they can likely deal a deathblow to Moto simply by offering a competing (if not altogether better) product.
    06-17-2011 09:06 PM
    Do you have a bunch of widgets? Stock launcher? Live wallpaper? I had a fascinate, and with all of those it was laggy. As soon as you install launcher pro (or adw, go launcher, what have you) and get rid of most of the widgets, the speed is perfectly acceptable.
    I have one widget and 5 apps installed, none of which run except for maybe the "Lookout" security app. Again, this is my first Android phone so maybe this is an Android thing.
    06-17-2011 09:20 PM
    I don't think they will leave the Charge out to dry. Its in the Droid line-up. Historically Droids get stellar support.

I do agree if the GSII is LTE compatible Motorola may as well pack their bags on Verizon's network. Will kill sales.

Sent from my Droid
    06-17-2011 09:22 PM
    IMO, the way I see it, the Charge is destined to be an obsolete and unsupported device, simply because everything in it other than the 4g modem is already 1-2 year old technology. The device was already mostly irrelevant before it was released, and even if the GSII doesn't launch with 4g, the charge officially becomes obsolete the day the Bionic launches.

Now, from Samsung's perspective, the only thing that will hurt more than cannibalizing their Charge sales, is to push the GSII as a 3g only, and give Moto the only Dual Core 4g in town. Business wise, Moto getting free reign on dual core LTE for 3-4 months is enough to completely revitalize their business (again). Meanwhile if Samsung pushes a 4g LTE GSII, and can launch it near the August Bionic launch date, they can likely deal a deathblow to Moto simply by offering a competing (if not altogether better) product.
    I would agree that the Charge is on the tail end of cycles as far as specs go. That said, its not unique to the Charge and is the nature of technology. Newer, faster phones will always be coming out so there is really no way to "keep up" with technology. Its just a cycle.
    06-17-2011 09:23 PM
    I could see it coming this summer, although probably late summer. However, I highly doubt it'll be an LTE device. The current generation of LTE radio will not fit in the current GSII case.
    You do realize the galaxy tab has lte and is only .6 inch thicker right? People think read it think that it has to be huge but they could work it in there and I think if samsung knew what they were doing they would put lte in it because that way it would really blow sales records out of the water.
    06-17-2011 09:34 PM
    I don't think they will leave the Charge out to dry. Its in the Droid line-up. Historically Droids get stellar support.

I do agree if the GSII is LTE compatible Motorola may as well pack their bags on Verizon's network. Will kill sales.

Sent from my Droid
    I think since the bionic will be droid branded that they will once again throw samsung to the back burner like they did last summer with the fascinate. I mean they waited months after releasing the droid x to release the fascinate and then stuck it with bing. I just wish we would get some word on when this or the bionic will launch.
    06-17-2011 09:36 PM
    You do realize the galaxy tab has lte and is only .6 inch thicker right? People think read it think that it has to be huge but they could work it in there and I think if samsung knew what they were doing they would put lte in it because that way it would really blow sales records out of the water.
    Yes I know the thicknesses of each. But, what is the overall size comparison? It's much easier to find room for the LTE chip in the Galaxy Tab than it is in the GSII.
    06-18-2011 07:36 AM
    If Verizon treats this like the fascinate that's really going to annoy me.

When this comes out it's going to be FAR superior to everything else on VZW. There's not even a close comparison

P.S Big Red needs to hurry the heck up, I just destroyed my Incredible and i have an upgrade to use!!!
    06-18-2011 03:21 PM
    Yeah, Verizon seriously needs to start releasing details on when this phone will be released. Hoping against hope it might come out in July, but August will be fine as well. I will be disappointed if we start hearing September or later unless they announce LTE with it, but the battery needs to be better in that case.
    06-18-2011 04:26 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD