06-28-2011 09:34 PM
61 123
tools
    I personally hope its released as 3G though. LTE needs to mature before I jump in the game but if by chance it does release with LTE I will still purchase it. Its too nice of a handset to pass up....
    My feelings exactly! I'm hoping for 3G, but I've decided it'll be my next phone no matter what.
    05-22-2011 07:19 PM
    As long as it wouldn't become a huge problem with battery life then I wouldn't mind LTE being added in. In fact if that was the case it would almost guarantee I get this phone over the Bionic.
    05-22-2011 09:09 PM
    My feelings exactly! I'm hoping for 3G, but I've decided it'll be my next phone no matter what.
    You can always turn the 4g radio off, if it has one, forcing it to go 3g.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    05-22-2011 09:23 PM

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    People have reported that whether the LTE radio is on or off, an LTE phone still consumes substantially more battery than a 3G only phone. I don't know whether that's true or not, but battery life is a leading issue with me. With moderate use, I want to be able to get an entire day's use out if it with a bit of room to spare, if possible. Friends I have with LTE phones say they can't do that. But that's easily possilbe on the Samsung Fascinate, which is this phone's predecessor.

Also the phone will have to be a bit thicker and it will undoubtedly cost $100 more with an LTE radio in it.
    05-22-2011 10:19 PM
    People have reported that whether the LTE radio is on or off, an LTE phone still consumes substantially more battery than a 3G only phone. I don't know whether that's true or not, but battery life is a leading issue with me. With moderate use, I want to be able to get an entire day's use out if it with a bit of room to spare, if possible. Friends I have with LTE phones say they can't do that. But that's easily possilbe on the Samsung Fascinate, which is this phone's predecessor.

Also the phone will have to be a bit thicker and it will undoubtedly cost $100 more with an LTE radio in it.
    With my thunderbolt, I have the 3g off by default when I know I won't be near a charger all day. When I want to use it, I switch the 4g on and it flies, then when I am done, I switch it back to 3g. In 3g mode, I don't notice any difference in battery life compared to my OG Droid. Also, when connected to wifi, the phone can last forever. So battery life isn't really an issue for me and it seems people just don't understand how to make theirs last. (I agree that we should progress to a point where we don't HAVE to know how to make it last)

If this phone doesn't have LTE, I am going to have to pass it up. The speeds are just too awesome to not have it once you have tasted the 4G flavor :P
    05-23-2011 08:26 AM

I read all the time about the awful battery life on LTE phones, especially the Thunderbolt, but I have a friend that uses her TB quite a bit (mostly emails, texting, little internet, lots of phone calls) and she can make it for 8-10 hours minimum. That is not bad to me...I have a Storm2 that I use a lot for emails, texting, and occasionally browsing the internet and I can easily make it for 18 hours...BUT, if I make several longer phone calls or use the medai player, the battery drains like crazy. I always had a charger at work and I also put it in a stand at night; now that I work from home, the phone calls are a lot shorter, so I am back to all day on a charge. I don't kid myself; there are trade-offs for a BIG, beautiful screen, and speed on the internet, if I have to charge it during the day while I'm working, so be it. As long as I can get 5-7 hours that gives me time to charge it and enjoy all of those wonderful attributes with these new phones. People seem to expect miracles; they want it all (thin, fast, big, colorful, bright, music player, internet, and 15 hours of battery life, etc.), and that just isn't going to happen; we demand so much of these phones and those demands will take its toll on the battery.
    orchidsbloom likes this.
    05-23-2011 08:43 AM
    Good point. That pretty much nullifies the argument for sticking with a 3G phone over a comparably spec'd 4G unit. Maybe the Bionic will be calling my name after all...I'm so confused now, lol.
    05-23-2011 10:02 AM
    Turning the 4G radio off my Thunderbolt (and some other syncing crap from HTC sense) and leaving it on 3G seems to have greatly improved my battery life. Turning 4G on makes it a power hungry beast, however.

It would be amazing if the GS2 has LTE but I doubt it. Maybe next year for any potential GS3 model (and tested/verified smaller LTE radio). I just hope by that time phone tech will be more power efficient.
    05-23-2011 10:06 AM
    I think it needs to be a LTE device being customers will be stuck with it for 2 years. If its a 3g device I would hold off on it until the GS3 and hopefully that is a lte device.
    05-23-2011 10:14 AM
    I honestly can do without LTE. I have wifi at home and the areas that I most frequent. I don't do any heavy surfing/streaming and use a lot of data. My phone is pretty much just used for business. Other than that using tapaptalk is the only data intensive thing I do in it. I need a killer handset first and foremost. Killer network speeds will just be icing on the cake.

Would it be nice to have LTE speeds? Absolutely. Is it a necessity for me? Not in the least.

Sent from my Droid
    05-23-2011 01:50 PM
    I don't see why people would hope it would release without LTE. I understand that its not mature yet, but its getting there, and current LTE devices are significantly faster in LTE areas, enough that most owners are willing to deal with the few extra hassles it brings. I understand the price is high, but as long as 4g data costs the same as 3g it certainly seems worth it for the next 2 years or more. If you don't live in an area with LTE coverage yet, you certainly will within 2 years time, and that's how long you'll be stuck with whatever phone you get now if you'll wait for your next upgrade. And if you're just gonna buy retail anyway, I don't see why price is such an issue, LTE devices will have better resale value.

I'd love for the GS2 to have LTE, but I realize that its unlikely. I can see why LTE is not a big deal, or even much of an issue for many people, especially if its not in your area yet. But I don't understand those who are opposed to the idea of it being LTE-capable. I for one would love to be able to keep a phone longer than the 20 months it takes me to get to my next upgrade, I've already done that now. If I can have a significantly powerful device that also has LTE, I can do just that, and it would be nice to know that the Bionic isn't the only thing on the horizon that could easily get me through the next 2 years.
    05-23-2011 10:50 PM
    I don't see why people would hope it would release without LTE. I understand that its not mature yet, but its getting there, .
    You can't swap out the radio in the handset. The phones hardware will remain the same as the LTE network matures. As the network evolves and matures so will the radios.

So suffering through issues for 2 years is a long time. In my opinion at least. I understand that some people don't care about all that but I rely on my phone for busisiness and can't afford any hassles.

So thats my reason for hoping it doesn't release as an LTE capable handset. I just want something tried and true at this point. 3G and Wifi is plenty good for what I use my handset for.

I'll have the option to purchase an LTE phone next year (use 2nd line upgrade) if I want. Mid 2012 the tech will begin to smooth out in handsets and I'll get onboard then if something comes along that blows my socks off.
    05-23-2011 11:22 PM
    I don't see why people would hope it would release without LTE. I understand that its not mature yet, but its getting there, and current LTE devices are significantly faster in LTE areas, enough that most owners are willing to deal with the few extra hassles it brings. I understand the price is high, but as long as 4g data costs the same as 3g it certainly seems worth it for the next 2 years or more. If you don't live in an area with LTE coverage yet, you certainly will within 2 years time, and that's how long you'll be stuck with whatever phone you get now if you'll wait for your next upgrade. And if you're just gonna buy retail anyway, I don't see why price is such an issue, LTE devices will have better resale value.

I'd love for the GS2 to have LTE, but I realize that its unlikely. I can see why LTE is not a big deal, or even much of an issue for many people, especially if its not in your area yet. But I don't understand those who are opposed to the idea of it being LTE-capable. I for one would love to be able to keep a phone longer than the 20 months it takes me to get to my next upgrade, I've already done that now. If I can have a significantly powerful device that also has LTE, I can do just that, and it would be nice to know that the Bionic isn't the only thing on the horizon that could easily get me through the next 2 years.
    Agreed
    05-24-2011 06:39 AM
    Agreed
    Not me. I agree with CK. I'll buy it anyway, but I'll be much happier (and $100 richer) if it's 3G only.
    05-24-2011 07:10 AM
    Verizon is making comments that they want to have a full 4G LTE Network by 2013 and there is a probability that by that time they will make phones with only 4G LTE radios and NO 3G at all. This really leads me to believe that this phone will be 4G LTE considering it isn't even released and there is no known release date for this phone.

Motorolas Super phone will be the Bionic which will be 4G. They have since released the Droid X2, which is 3G and will be considered a mid level phone by enthusiasts.

HTC's super phone is currently the Thunderbolt which is 4G. They have since released the Incredible 2 which is 3G and again only a mid level phone.

LG is releasing the Revolution soon and even though it is 4G I am under the impression that it will be mid level (I could be severely wrong, I haven't done too much research on this device) and that they will release a monster in the future that will be 4G.

Samsung released the Charge which is 4G and to me feels like mid level. The specs aren't amazing on this phone when looking forward. They are planning to release a monster phone which could be top tier for a long time and I can't believe in any way that they would allow it to be 3G. It just doesnt make any sense to me.
    05-24-2011 02:29 PM
    Verizon is making comments that they want to have a full 4G LTE Network by 2013 and there is a probability that by that time they will make phones with only 4G LTE radios and NO 3G at all. This really leads me to believe that this phone will be 4G LTE considering it isn't even released and there is no known release date for this phone.

Motorolas Super phone will be the Bionic which will be 4G. They have since released the Droid X2, which is 3G and will be considered a mid level phone by enthusiasts.

HTC's super phone is currently the Thunderbolt which is 4G. They have since released the Incredible 2 which is 3G and again only a mid level phone.

LG is releasing the Revolution soon and even though it is 4G I am under the impression that it will be mid level (I could be severely wrong, I haven't done too much research on this device) and that they will release a monster in the future that will be 4G.

Samsung released the Charge which is 4G and to me feels like mid level. The specs aren't amazing on this phone when looking forward. They are planning to release a monster phone which could be top tier for a long time and I can't believe in any way that they would allow it to be 3G. It just doesnt make any sense to me.
    I don't think Verizon will stop releasing 3G-only devices any time soon. There are just too many of their customers that won't see LTE for quite some time (unfortunately, myself included) to even think about phasing them out and into LTE-only phones.

The Revolution is as much of a super phone as the Thunderbolt. There aren't many differences spec-wise and the Revolution supposedly will have VOIP. The same could be said for the Charge in relation to the Thunderbolt. The only real "super phone" would be the Bionic, and who knows what that will end up having and when it'll be released.

Also, the D3 will be 3G and it hasn't been released yet nor have there been any dates released. In fact, the only information out there is leaked. Verizon AFAIK hasn't even acknowledged the device -- much like the GSII. While it's not a "super phone", it will definitely have hardware improvements over the previous installment and will have that "Droid" moniker.
    05-24-2011 02:42 PM
    Well said, Dolfan.

I have a hard time relating to "mid-level" phone vs. "super phone". EVERY phone that Verizon is puting out these days seems to be significantly better than it's predecessor, whether it's made by Motorola, HTC, or Samsung; and whether or not it is LTE capable or has 3G only. The Samsung GS2 is simply the next generation Samsung Galaxy S phone. It is speced way better than it's predecessor, the Fascinate, which itself was a great phone. I'm looking forward to owning an SGS2 with 3G. When that contract expires in two years, I'll likely be ready for an LTE phone, and Verizon's LTE service will likely be ready for me.

LTE is great, if you live in a major metropolitan area, and you use your phone a lot for web browsing. But until it's coverage is universal, Verizon would be very fool hearty to force LTE phones on their loyal 3G customers who want to upgrade to a much more capable phone than they are now using. It just doesn't make sense that they would do that - at least not for the next couple of years.
    05-25-2011 05:11 PM
    There's some chatter over at HoFo about the possibility of the Bionic containing 2nd gen LTE radios. If that were the case and 2nd gen LTE radios really are ready, that means that the chances of seeing LTE in the GS2 increase dramatically, as that would allow Samsung to retain the current, slim form factor, instead of having to go a bit thicker to accommodate 1st gen radios. I'm hoping and praying...
    05-28-2011 01:40 PM
    No phones this year will have second gen LTE modems. Currently the only LTE/CDMA modem in existence is the Qualcomm MDM9600 featured in all Verizon LTE devices thus far. The second gen MDM9615 and MDM9625 won't even start sampling until Q4 which means at best we won't see this modem until next summer at best. I have pretty much decided that my next phone is going to be either the Droid Bionic or Galaxy S II but its going to come down to form factor and screen quality more then 4G.
    05-28-2011 04:11 PM
    No phones this year will have second gen LTE modems. Currently the only LTE/CDMA modem in existence is the Qualcomm MDM9600 featured in all Verizon LTE devices thus far. The second gen MDM9615 and MDM9625 won't even start sampling until Q4 which means at best we won't see this modem until next summer at best. I have pretty much decided that my next phone is going to be either the Droid Bionic or Galaxy S II but its going to come down to form factor and screen quality more then 4G.
    Gotcha. You're probably right, but I hope you're not...no offense.
    05-28-2011 05:03 PM
    There's some chatter over at HoFo about the possibility of the Bionic containing 2nd gen LTE radios. If that were the case and 2nd gen LTE radios really are ready, that means that the chances of seeing LTE in the GS2 increase dramatically, as that would allow Samsung to retain the current, slim form factor, instead of having to go a bit thicker to accommodate 1st gen radios. I'm hoping and praying...
    Nope. BMX has said more than once that Verizon has not approved the first revision yet, and it won't be happening any time soon.

Even if it was approved, there's no way it would be small enough to fit in the SII. Just look at the Evo and Evo 3D; despite the fact that the Evo 3D has a newer WiMax radio, it isn't any thinner.
    05-29-2011 01:18 AM
    Nope. BMX has said more than once that Verizon has not approved the first revision yet, and it won't be happening any time soon.

Even if it was approved, there's no way it would be small enough to fit in the SII. Just look at the Evo and Evo 3D; despite the fact that the Evo 3D has a newer WiMax radio, it isn't any thinner.
    You are the shatterer of dreams, sir...
    05-29-2011 08:40 AM
    Yeah it's going to be sad when this doesn't release with LTE.
    05-29-2011 10:41 AM
    Its ALL speculation gents. Nobody knows at this point. People are assuming things right now....

Next Gen Qualcomm will be a lot better on performance with lower power consumption. So I personally hope they skip it this year.

Sent from my Droid
    05-29-2011 11:41 AM
    You are the shatterer of dreams, sir...
    Ha. Well sorry about that. I personally would like a rebodied SII with LTE. Oh well, the Sensation with HSPA+ will do for now.
    05-30-2011 12:40 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD