Samsung Galaxy S 2 and Verizon, any possibility of LTE? (discussion)

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I am really hopeful that this phone will have LTE but more and more things lead me to believe that it wont.

Reasons Why it Won't have LTE:

1. We know of the Verizon Function from a accessorie maker. They leaked a case that would fit all versions (Att, Sprint, Verizon). If this case is going to fit all three then that means the phone will be the same size for all three and that means (from what I gather) that the current gen LTE radios wont fit. This particular manufacturer might not be so credible however since they also mention an opening for a kickstand which the SGS2 does not have.
Link - http://www.androidcentral.com/samsu...att-attain-verizon-function-and-sprint-within

2. Samsung is doing a great job with this phone and in their youtube videos they really show this thing off. It starts off by saying Vivid - SLIM - Fast. They love stressing the thin-ness of this a lot.
Link - YouTube - [GALAXY S II] Official Live Demo -- HD

3. A lot of people think it will not have LTE because it would sales compete with the Charge and the future Bionic but I say why I don't feel this way below.

Reasons Why it May have LTE:
1. The Samsung Droid Charge (which is LTE) is slightly thicker so MAYBE (please) they will thicken it a little bit and slam the LTE radio in there. Charge is 5.11" x 2.66" x 0.46" and the Galaxy S 2 is 125.3 x 66.1 x 8.49mm or 4.93" x 2.60" x 0.33"
Charge Full Specs - Features and Specifications - Droid Charge Smartphone | Samsung Mobile
Samsung Galaxy S 2 Specs - Samsung GALAXY S II

2. We don't know the release date of this phone and there are a lot of speculations out there but it is being released in the future and it is a phone of the future so hopefully it will have the technology of the future.

3. Currently the Droid Charge is $299 with a contract. Maybe by the time the Galaxy S 2 comes out they will lower the price of the Charge to $199 or less and sell the Galaxy for $299 (or more). If they did that then the release of the Galaxy S 2 shouldn't put a damper on the Charges sales. If you want a charge then you already bought it at $299. Later when the Galaxy comes out and they lower the price then they will get the people who want a cheaper 4G android device to buy the Charge and the cycle continues.

4. The Droid Bionic is a future 4G dual core device that is in Verizons future. People make the argument that they don't want to hinder its sales if there is a better 4G phone available with similar or better specs. I think the Bionic is going to have all that Web stuff in it and they are going to make that the appeal of the phone and that they will both be good sellers. Also right now there are 10 different Android phones on Verizon at any given time so the competition is always going to be there.

5. I really want it to have LTE.

I know everything is opinion and speculation but to pass the time, what do you guys think would be reasons they would or wouldnt include LTE with this device.

saillling4life

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
same here but I really don't think verizon will modify their radio just yet. My guess is that later in the year after the 3g version has some sales, they will relase the LTE version. But you never know, it is Verizon.

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking it is likely that Verizon releases an LTE version later on. Of course the big question in that case is when? I'd imagine that more than a few might wait longer if it looks like an LTE version is coming out before the end of the year.

anon(47319)

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
You make a very valid argument. Kudos! Something inside of me just wants for there to be an LTE radio inside of it. It would be the perfect phone for my dad. I have some time until my contract is up. I just hope my OG Droid can hold on until then.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
If they add LTE radio then the form of the phone will have to change. Meaning the Thickness. BMX said that the LTE radio is to big to fit in. 4g will make it thicker. 3g will keep it the way it is now.

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
If they add LTE radio then the form of the phone will have to change. Meaning the Thickness. BMX said that the LTE radio is to big to fit in. 4g will make it thicker. 3g will keep it the way it is now.

True, but while it might make it thicker, it becomes a question of how much thicker? In my experiences, if there is one feature that most are really to compromise on, it is thinness. Not saying everyone wants some thick slab, but I'm willing to accept some added girth for LTE capabilities and I think most would feel the same way. I've yet to see anybody say that the main reason they want this phone is because it is so thin.

SailingMan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I am really hopeful that this phone will have LTE but more and more things lead me to believe that it wont.

Reasons Why it Won't have LTE:

1. We know of the Verizon Function from a accessorie maker. They leaked a case that would fit all versions (Att, Sprint, Verizon). If this case is going to fit all three then that means the phone will be the same size for all three and that means (from what I gather) that the current gen LTE radios wont fit. This particular manufacturer might not be so credible however since they also mention an opening for a kickstand which the SGS2 does not have.
Link - http://www.androidcentral.com/samsu...att-attain-verizon-function-and-sprint-within

2. Samsung is doing a great job with this phone and in their youtube videos they really show this thing off. It starts off by saying Vivid - SLIM - Fast. They love stressing the thin-ness of this a lot.
Link - YouTube - [GALAXY S II] Official Live Demo -- HD

3. A lot of people think it will not have LTE because it would sales compete with the Charge and the future Bionic but I say why I don't feel this way below.

Reasons Why it May have LTE:
1. The Samsung Droid Charge (which is LTE) is slightly thicker so MAYBE (please) they will thicken it a little bit and slam the LTE radio in there. Charge is 5.11" x 2.66" x 0.46" and the Galaxy S 2 is 125.3 x 66.1 x 8.49mm or 4.93" x 2.60" x 0.33"
Charge Full Specs - Features and Specifications - Droid Charge Smartphone | Samsung Mobile
Samsung Galaxy S 2 Specs - Samsung GALAXY S II

2. We don't know the release date of this phone and there are a lot of speculations out there but it is being released in the future and it is a phone of the future so hopefully it will have the technology of the future.

3. Currently the Droid Charge is $299 with a contract. Maybe by the time the Galaxy S 2 comes out they will lower the price of the Charge to $199 or less and sell the Galaxy for $299 (or more). If they did that then the release of the Galaxy S 2 shouldn't put a damper on the Charges sales. If you want a charge then you already bought it at $299. Later when the Galaxy comes out and they lower the price then they will get the people who want a cheaper 4G android device to buy the Charge and the cycle continues.

4. The Droid Bionic is a future 4G dual core device that is in Verizons future. People make the argument that they don't want to hinder its sales if there is a better 4G phone available with similar or better specs. I think the Bionic is going to have all that Web stuff in it and they are going to make that the appeal of the phone and that they will both be good sellers. Also right now there are 10 different Android phones on Verizon at any given time so the competition is always going to be there.

5. I really want it to have LTE.

I know everything is opinion and speculation but to pass the time, what do you guys think would be reasons they would or wouldnt include LTE with this device.

I want the Bionic also, however having BETA TESTED the STORM for so many years.........I want a cell phone that works, and not on my dime for testing. The GS 2 seems to meet my needs if MOTO won't say what's happening. It's bad marketing all around for MOTO to refuse to post anything as to the new specs for the possible Bionic/Tegra??????? Tell us MOTO.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
True, but while it might make it thicker, it becomes a question of how much thicker? In my experiences, if there is one feature that most are really to compromise on, it is thinness. Not saying everyone wants some thick slab, but I'm willing to accept some added girth for LTE capabilities and I think most would feel the same way. I've yet to see anybody say that the main reason they want this phone is because it is so thin.
The LTE Charge is is only .13" thicker than the SG2 - not much, and, like Slowie says, I don't know many people that are that hungup on the thickness of the phone, other than the manufacturers. Personally I don't want a wafer thin phone in my pocket - I want a little "size" to mine so it doesn't feel like it will bend or break.

Robin_M

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I spent some time in a VZW store last evening. I was hoping to fall in love with the HTC Incredible 2. THAT didn't happen. My next phone will be a Samsung S2. Anyway, I got to talking with one of the senior sales reps there who said that the S2 will NOT be LTE compatible. He says that Verizon wants to push BOTH LTE and 3G phones for the next year, and there are already a good number of LTE phones either already out or planned for the near future. He says the Charge was promoted to be Verizon's featured latest generation Samsung LTE phone, and that the S2 will be featured as an upgrade to the popular Facinate. He also thinks they will NOT call it the "Function". Of course, officially none of his comments mean anything. Anything could change. What he didn't know (or wouldn't tell me) is the planned release date for the S2.. ;-)

I hope he's right. The S2 looks to be a teriffic phone IF Verizon does not make a lot of changes to it. Without LTE, it will be thinner than it would otherwise have to be, get better battery life, and will cost $100 less. For me all of those features beat LTE capability - mainly because I won't see LTE in my neighborhood for probably another year yet.

As for the name, I think "Function" is rather weak and unappealing. I think they should just go with "Galaxy S2", or at the very least, the "Fascinate 2" (like Incredible 2 and Droid X2).

Last edited:
Reactions: orchidsbloom

MazoMark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I expect it to launch with 3G. Still a ton of folks who won't see 4G for the foreseeable future, so VZW probably sees this as viable market. Then I'd expect a 4G S2 to launch in early 2012.

As for price, I'd guess $199. Amazon already has Charge at $199, so I don't think the $299 price point VZW is pushing is sustainable.

As for name - who knows.

saillling4life

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I really don't think that this phone will be under $100 because the Droid X2 and the Incredible 2 are both $200, and the galaxy s2 is a very expensive phone with many more features than both.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the S2 is a great phone, and a very expensive device. It would be considered a flagship device if not for 4g devices, but as VZW has the network as their priority, not any particular device, a 4G device will always be considered a higher-end device than a 3g one. That's why I think it would be perfect if the S2 was 4G, would really complete it. However, I just don't get the impression that we're at the point yet where LTE is just another feature that can be thrown in to a phone without much hassle.

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Would love that but given the rumors that Tegra 2 has trouble with LTE and no talk of Exynos and LTE, plus the thickness and increased power drain due to LTE, I would assume Samsung would need a different LTE chip than what's out right now.

And since we haven't seen word of a different LTE chip, I would assume LTE would not be coming to the "Function."

But I certainly hope it does. And that the phone comes out before tiered data plans come...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Broheemster

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Would love that but given the rumors that Tegra 2 has trouble with LTE and no talk of Exynos and LTE
Hit the nail on the head with this point. I'm thinking no LTE since later territories are still rumored to have different chips, Tegra and Snapdragon (which is strange...I.e. The "Hercules"),
until Samsung produces a higher yield of their own Exynos. Plus this phone is now so hot that it's on back-order. At a business standpoint they're probably not worried about LTE since it's not widely accessible and are more concerned with getting the phone out to the given territories in their timetable. They know the phone will sell regardless since it pulls more than it's own weight in specs. I estimate LTE in the Verizon S3, ATT and T-mobile pending the merger.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance