[NEW] Galaxy SII/Function/Fascinate 2 Release?

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:
Reactions: DolfanCole

matthew2109

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Seems very close to their supposedly "flagship" release of the Bionic. And many wanting to know if this is lte or not

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Bionic will get most of the advertising dollars. They may just let this fly in under the radar since it carries so much weight anyhow (in regards to being across all carriers) we'll see.

BBLV

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon botches another launch in 3...2...1... :p

So, who thinks this will have LTE?

I want to believe it will have LTE, but I doubt it due to its slim figure. Samsung is going to fail on this front with Verizon after having also failed on the 10.1 tablet with no SD slot. I was poised to purchase both, but now I may not purchase either...

diverbelow

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I really hope that this phone comes with LTE and a NFC chip. According S2 website, it is coming with a NFC chip and also with Cisco VPN support built-in. Here is what the site says:
The Samsung GALAXY S II has adopted Cisco?s AnyConnect to provide reliable and easy-to-deploy encrypted network connectivity by delivering persistent corporate access for users on the go. Whether providing access to business email, a virtual desktop session, or other Android applications, it enables business-critical application connectivity.
If VPN does come with the Verizon phone, that would be awesome to have, finally.

Reactions: Thunderlover

neverdye

May 2, 2011
Visit site
CK & DolfanCole - I've been lurking in this and the Bionic forum for a few weeks now. What do you guys think about the GS2 only having a 1650 mAh battery? I know the Bionic is rumored to have a 1750 mAh battery. thoughts?

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
CK & DolfanCole - I've been lurking in this and the Bionic forum for a few weeks now. What do you guys think about the GS2 only having a 1650 mAh battery? I know the Bionic is rumored to have a 1750 mAh battery. thoughts?

Welcome. Since you've lurking in both forums, you've undoubtedly seen both myself and CK in both too. I think CK is just following me around. :)

As you probably know, there are a lot of issues that contribute to how the battery performs or is able to support the use of the phone. I obviously have no firsthand knowledge of how either will do (particularly since the Bionic hasn't been released). But, some thoughts/issues/suggestions ...

If rumored to be true, the GSII will not have LTE. The LTE radio has apparently been a big draw on the battery, and why many people who have LTE phones look for ways either through the UI or 3rd party app to turn it off when not in use. That'll be a major plus for the GSII in that regard.

The screen is also a big draw on the battery. In this case, the Bionic may be better, particularly if it uses a pentile display (as was rumored with the original Bionic). Even with the higher resolution in the Bionic, by using a pentile display, the true pixel/subpixel count is lower than the GSII, and thus less battery needed to support. Both displays are 4.3-in (unless the 4.5-in Bionic rumor proves true), so for screen size, it's a wash.

The UI/skin also has a big impact. From what I've been able to gather TouchWiz and Blur are not as bad as Sense in this regard. But, both have been upgraded for the GSII and Bionic, respectively. So, it's really anyone's guess as to which one will be better on battery life. However, the more bloat that it has, the worse it'll be.

Both devices will have dual-core CPUs. It's theorized that dual-cores will be better on battery life. But, you need a compatible OS before the benefit can be fully realized. That's expected to come in Ice Cream Sandwich. So, hopefully, the battery capacity on both devices will be better utilized further down the road when the OS is updated. And thus, what may seem like a low or average battery capacity now should (theoretically) only get better.

The same thoughts apply to the RAM memory type. The original Bionic was stated to have DDR2 RAM, which would be better on the battery than the previous standard of DDR. I don't know what the GSII has. I hope its DDR2 as well.

I'd also look through the main GSII forum and see if there's feedback from those that already own the GSII and how their battery life is.

That's all I can think of now. If I think of more, I'll post it.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I want to believe it will have LTE, but I doubt it due to its slim figure. Samsung is going to fail on this front with Verizon after having also failed on the 10.1 tablet with no SD slot. I was poised to purchase both, but now I may not purchase either...

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE is 8.6mm thin and the GSII is 8.46mm thin. I think Verizon and Samsung can make it a LITTLE thicker to fit in a 4G LTE radio.

And the Verizon LTE version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is supposed to have a SD slot. Either way, you don't really need one with everything going to the cloud and 32gb of internal space. I never missed the Sd slot on my XOOM.

Anyways, if this thing has LTE and hits in July, I will be lining up on day one. (Actually, I will be heading to Costco to exchange my Charge for this lol)

Last edited:

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Oh man, JULY! If it has 4G, I'll drop the Bionic like a hot potato. If not, I have a gut-wrenching decision to make. I wish someone would just make this easy for me. Like, "If you buy the Bionic, your family dies. If you buy the GSII, your family lives." Or vice versa. That would be a no-brainer. (yes, I love my family and would save them) :p

I really hope that this phone comes with LTE and a NFC chip.

There's no reason to believe it won't. Every list of specs I've seen on the GSII says it has NFC, including the official specs on Samsung's website.

I think Verizon and Samsung can make it a LITTLE thinner to fit in a 4G LTE radio.

Thicker. ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae