07-26-2011 09:13 AM
238 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Take this for whatever it's worth. Personally I've never heard of the site but it's at least more wishful thinking!

Verizon to Launch Samsung Galaxy S2 in July
    I would definitely wish it to be true. But, I'm having a hard time coming to grips with all of the rumors of phones hitting Verizon in July -- Droid 3, Bionic, and now GSII. The only one that I truly believe is the D3 (July 14?). Early rumors/leaks put the Bionic in August, which would make sense given the D3 release and the Bionic's issues. However, the most recent rumor has it now for July 28. So how and when does the GSII fit in for July (or any other time for that matter)? Maybe they can fit it in at the end of July/beginning of August, and have the Bionic back to it's original rumor/leak of mid-late August. While I think that would be great and hope it's true, that'd still be a lot of devices released over a relatively short timeframe. Of course, there's the whole issue with the iPhone 5 coming September or so as well. And the fact that we've heard next to nothing on the GSII for Verizon anyway.
    06-25-2011 08:16 AM
    I hate how these companies are always so tight lipped about the release dates. I know they don't want to give dates in case they can't deliver on time, but it's annoying lol
    06-25-2011 10:24 AM
    I've been holding out for the Galaxy S2 (on Verizon) because I really liked the form factor of the S. But if it's not here by the end of summer...I might have to look elsewhere :-/
    06-25-2011 11:02 AM
    CK, I'm not exactly sure why this is good news. Am I missing something?
    I thought you were one of the people waiting for an LTE device?
    06-25-2011 11:44 AM
    If it does come with LTE, it got even sweeter.
    06-26-2011 06:09 PM
    CK, you dropped that it is probably going to be LTE. Now find out when it is going to be released. I was all about the Bionic, but the more I see of the S2 the more I lean towards that. I hope that it comes out around the same time as the Bionic so I can actually compare the devices with my own hands and eyes.
    06-26-2011 11:54 PM
    Phandroid is reporting that the SGS2 might get a bump in speed. From 1.2Ghz to 1.4Ghz.

Samsung Galaxy S II Officially Getting a 200MHz Boost?
    06-27-2011 07:59 AM
    Interesting, I wonder if this has to do with the ongoing lawsuit and is an attempt to pre-empt the next iPhone launch? With the Galaxy S series rapidly becoming the flagship Android handset around the world and in light of this lawsuit I know competition between the two is really heating up, so it very well could be related. But I wonder how much benefit this would have? I know Samsung makes both the Exynos and the A5, but for some reason they chose to use the Mali 400 gpu in their own chip, which seems to be well behind the PowerVR SGX543 the A5 uses. Not quite sure why they did this, unless it has something to do with how many shares Apple and Intel both have in ImagTech.

But anyway, the application processor cores themselves are very similar Cortex-A9 reference designs. I'm not sure what, if any differences there are in memory bandwidth or the type or amount of RAM actually used. Yet the weak point for Samsung is the gpu, not the cpu, so I don't see how increasing the clock speed from the already fast 1.2 ghz to 1.4 really makes up for any deficiency there. And Apple is always gonna have better battery life, due to having one type of hardware and one type of software being built hand-in-hand with each other from the beginning, and I would think this would hurt Samsung's battery life a little more, unless the Exynos as is still has some room to be undervolted a bit.

All I can figure is that maybe Apple plans on using the SGX543 for some application programming, in more of a GPGPU role, as it would be overkill just for its graphics performance alone. This would be a clear advantage to Apple, as they could code new versions of iOS this way, whereas Samsung has little control over Android, not to mention that we're not likely to see much GPGPU in Android real soon with all these different GPU architectures around. Anyway, an extra jump in clockspeed could boost the Exynos' overall productivity score enough to keep it ahead of the A5 in that respect, allowing the GS2, or at least a version of it, to keep the top phone spot this year.
    06-27-2011 10:55 AM
    This really irks me if it's true. This will cause the phone to be delayed beyond the point where I can purchase it.
    06-27-2011 11:17 AM
    This really irks me if it's true. This will cause the phone to be delayed beyond the point where I can purchase it.
    what would stop you from purchasing it?
    06-27-2011 12:09 PM
    I need to buy something before my girlfriend's Eris dies (it's on its last leg). She's getting my Incredible when I upgrade.
    06-27-2011 01:22 PM
    I need to buy something before my girlfriend's Eris dies (it's on its last leg). She's getting my Incredible when I upgrade.
    If I would you, I would go to ebay and buy something cheap to tide the time until it is released. You can get Palm Pixi's for 30 bucks right now. Not the greatest phone, but if you really want that GS2, it would be worth it.
    06-27-2011 01:40 PM
    Time to compromise. If her phone breaks before the S2 comes out then tell her to go upgrade and then when you upgrade to the S2, sell the Incredible and give her the money to cover the cost of her new phone. If you don't get enough to cover the costs then tell her to take better care of her phone next time so she won't have had to get a new one before you are ready. If you get more than what she spent then you keep the extra. Win/win situation in my book.

That is the nice route. You could also tell her that since you aren't married she can worry about her own damn phone and you don't owe her a thing
    06-27-2011 04:53 PM
    Time to compromise. If her phone breaks before the S2 comes out then tell her to go upgrade and then when you upgrade to the S2, sell the Incredible and give her the money to cover the cost of her new phone. If you don't get enough to cover the costs then tell her to take better care of her phone next time so she won't have had to get a new one before you are ready. If you get more than what she spent then you keep the extra. Win/win situation in my book.

That is the nice route. You could also tell her that since you aren't married she can worry about her own damn phone and you don't owe her a thing
    Yeah until she leaves your *** lol
    06-27-2011 06:43 PM
    Wish it was that easy
    06-27-2011 07:37 PM
    Wish it was that easy
    You are not responsible for her phone. If it dies she buys a new one. Unless I'm missing something?
    06-27-2011 08:05 PM
    You are not responsible for her phone. If it dies she buys a new one. Unless I'm missing something?
    It's a family plan, and the financial side of it is a long and complicated story with which I won't bore you all. Suffice it to say that I'll continue to cross my fingers, toes, and anything else I can manage to cross that this phone comes out before or around the same time as the Bionic.

Edit: That said, I do appreciate you guys trying to help. Group hug.
    06-28-2011 08:09 AM
    The latest...from a first-time poster (so take it FWIW) -

Samsung galaxy 2 for verizon is coming end of august beginning of september sometime.
    Samsung now is focusing on the galaxy tabs 10.1 and 8.9 before they put their focus on galaxy s2. This info comes straight from a samsung us regional rep. I wish I knew a motorola rep. Verizon is really letting me down. I feel like moving to sprint everyday.
    orchidsbloom likes this.
    06-28-2011 07:48 PM
    The latest...from a first-time poster (so take it FWIW) -
    Guess that would go with my prediction in another thread. Bionic, S2, then iPhone. Verizon will try to spread them out over a 30 day period.
    06-28-2011 08:11 PM
    Guess that would go with my prediction in another thread. Bionic, S2, then iPhone. Verizon will try to spread them out over a 30 day period.
    This makes sense, (given a 14 day return policy) to let them release 15 days apart, and would time up well.
    06-28-2011 09:27 PM
    Any new info about a possible release date???
    06-30-2011 10:24 AM
    Newest speculations seem to be that it'll be an LTE device and not come out until September-ish.
    06-30-2011 10:49 AM
    This was posted in the Sprint Within forum.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Launch Delayed for Verizon

Basically says that "latest reports" indicate a August release. No indication of sources or why it's "delayed". Another interesting tidbit noted in the article is that it states that Verizon was "all but confirmed as the first carrier to be receiving the new Galaxy". Hadn't heard anything about that.
    06-30-2011 12:52 PM
    End of article:

Needless to say, if and when the iPhone 5 launches in the near future, the S2, just like every other Smartphone the world over, will have its work cut out to say the least.
    This seems like a stupid, yet almost(?) intentional strategy. Keep us awash in year-old Android tech so the iPhone can wow us once more, despite its run-of-the-mill features. True, that's a bit tin-foil-hat, but it's frustrating when this has been released overseas for months. What are they doing?
    06-30-2011 01:42 PM
    I hope it comes out soon. I would like to compare this and the bionic side by side.
    07-01-2011 08:18 PM
238 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD