[NEW] Galaxy SII/Function/Fascinate 2 Release?

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh man, JULY! If it has 4G, I'll drop the Bionic like a hot potato. If not, I have a gut-wrenching decision to make. I wish someone would just make this easy for me. Like, "If you buy the Bionic, your family dies. If you buy the GSII, your family lives." Or vice versa.

This would not make my decision any easier.

Yes I'm kidding :p

Drosul

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to go out on a limb here but.....

If the GSII on VZW has LTE.... Not only is it getting my $$$.....

but it's going to completely ruin the Bionic's release, by coming out so much earlier (a full month), and be another massive blow to Motorola's profits/solvency...

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
The only reason the GSII would not be LTE is because the Charge recently came out with LTE. Why release another LTE Samsung device so close?

Then again, this is dual-core, so it differentiates enough from the Charge to warrant it.

I don't know!!

grayfox99

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
The screen is also a big draw on the battery. In this case, the Bionic may be better, particularly if it uses a pentile display (as was rumored with the original Bionic). Even with the higher resolution in the Bionic, by using a pentile display, the true pixel/subpixel count is lower than the GSII, and thus less battery needed to support. Both displays are 4.3-in (unless the 4.5-in Bionic rumor proves true), so for screen size, it's a wash.

The same thoughts apply to the RAM memory type. The original Bionic was stated to have DDR2 RAM, which would be better on the battery than the previous standard of DDR. I don't know what the GSII has. I hope its DDR2 as well.

The screen on the GSII actually should draw less battery power than the Bionics, under certain situations. The GSII has a SAMOLED plus screen which is 20% more efficient than the previous SAMOLED screens, also SAMOLED screens don't rely on a backlight and so when the screen is displaying black or darker colors the screen uses VERY little power, so if you use a dark background and arent reading white text all day long you'll get extremely good battery life out of the device. The guys at Engadget were saying they got up to 20 hours of use out of their test unit and they werent holding back on it and they didn't even use a dark background. Also the GSII does have DDr2 RAM. I think that the major factor here wont be the screen it will be the fact that the Bionic has an LTE radio which will destroy it's battery life.

Reactions: DolfanCole

OrdieSep88

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
So there's a chance that Verizon's Galaxy S2 isn't 4G LTE but T-Mobile's Galaxy S is 4G(HSPA+)? Doesn't that look messed up? Through ads, the average consumer might go with the one that says 4G right? Even though its the original Galaxy S. C'mon Verizon, make it LTE BABY!!

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
The design already incorporates the use of a sim card so I cant see it being too difficult to fit an LTE radio in there.

It would be difficult with the current form factor. The current gen. LTE radio is pretty thick and the GSII is very thin. So, there simply isn't any room to put it in. Obviously that changes should they decide to change the form factor to accommodate.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
The screen on the GSII actually should draw less battery power than the Bionics, under certain situations. The GSII has a SAMOLED plus screen which is 20% more efficient than the previous SAMOLED screens, also SAMOLED screens don't rely on a backlight and so when the screen is displaying black or darker colors the screen uses VERY little power, so if you use a dark background and arent reading white text all day long you'll get extremely good battery life out of the device. The guys at Engadget were saying they got up to 20 hours of use out of their test unit and they werent holding back on it and they didn't even use a dark background. Also the GSII does have DDr2 RAM. I think that the major factor here wont be the screen it will be the fact that the Bionic has an LTE radio which will destroy it's battery life.

I saw somewhere how the pentile display really cuts down on power usage as well. With what you state regarding the SAMOLED+, it's probably a wash between the two. Maybe a slight edge to the GSII. However, if the Bionic does have a pentile display, that'll immediately turn off many people anyway because it would just be way too inferior to the SAMOLED+ regardless of the power consumption requirements.

Also, I agree in that the LTE radio is really the long pole in the tent so to speak on battery usage/requirements.

diverbelow

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Welcome. Since you've lurking in both forums, you've undoubtedly seen both myself and CK in both too. I think CK is just following me around. :)

As you probably know, there are a lot of issues that contribute to how the battery performs or is able to support the use of the phone. I obviously have no firsthand knowledge of how either will do (particularly since the Bionic hasn't been released). But, some thoughts/issues/suggestions ...

If rumored to be true, the GSII will not have LTE. The LTE radio has apparently been a big draw on the battery, and why many people who have LTE phones look for ways either through the UI or 3rd party app to turn it off when not in use. That'll be a major plus for the GSII in that regard.

The screen is also a big draw on the battery. In this case, the Bionic may be better, particularly if it uses a pentile display (as was rumored with the original Bionic). Even with the higher resolution in the Bionic, by using a pentile display, the true pixel/subpixel count is lower than the GSII, and thus less battery needed to support. Both displays are 4.3-in (unless the 4.5-in Bionic rumor proves true), so for screen size, it's a wash.

The UI/skin also has a big impact. From what I've been able to gather TouchWiz and Blur are not as bad as Sense in this regard. But, both have been upgraded for the GSII and Bionic, respectively. So, it's really anyone's guess as to which one will be better on battery life. However, the more bloat that it has, the worse it'll be.

Both devices will have dual-core CPUs. It's theorized that dual-cores will be better on battery life. But, you need a compatible OS before the benefit can be fully realized. That's expected to come in Ice Cream Sandwich. So, hopefully, the battery capacity on both devices will be better utilized further down the road when the OS is updated. And thus, what may seem like a low or average battery capacity now should (theoretically) only get better.

The same thoughts apply to the RAM memory type. The original Bionic was stated to have DDR2 RAM, which would be better on the battery than the previous standard of DDR. I don't know what the GSII has. I hope its DDR2 as well.

I'd also look through the main GSII forum and see if there's feedback from those that already own the GSII and how their battery life is.

That's all I can think of now. If I think of more, I'll post it.

First bold highlight: I am currently using the Droid Charge and with 4G I am able to get ~14 hours with the battery. Also, hoping the S2 comes with 2.3.4 since Google has said with dual cores battery life is not so great. They fixed that in 2.3.4.

The kernel supports SMP's and yes there are not a lot of apps that support multiple cores, yet. I also think Google fixed android with 2.3.4 for multiple cores.

Reactions: orchidsbloom

diverbelow

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Oh man, JULY! If it has 4G, I'll drop the Bionic like a hot potato. If not, I have a gut-wrenching decision to make. I wish someone would just make this easy for me. Like, "If you buy the Bionic, your family dies. If you buy the GSII, your family lives." Or vice versa. That would be a no-brainer. (yes, I love my family and would save them) :p

There's no reason to believe it won't. Every list of specs I've seen on the GSII says it has NFC, including the official specs on Samsung's website.

Thicker. ;)

I read that in some markets (they did not list) will not have nfc chips and later this year nfc will arrive. I read also there will be 4 different versions of S2.

diverbelow

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
The only reason the GSII would not be LTE is because the Charge recently came out with LTE. Why release another LTE Samsung device so close?

Then again, this is dual-core, so it differentiates enough from the Charge to warrant it.

I don't know!!

Verizon has said that they want all phones to have LTE as they are going away from 3G.

diverbelow

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
It would be difficult with the current form factor. The current gen. LTE radio is pretty thick and the GSII is very thin. So, there simply isn't any room to put it in. Obviously that changes should they decide to change the form factor to accommodate.

well the chin is thicker then the rest of the phone. Most of the radios are at the end of the phones. Also, I think CK said their is a new LTE radio supposed to be working better on VZW's LTE.

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
I wonder why AC isn't running with this story. Maybe it isn't as credible as it seems.

they just posted, I was waiting to see the same thing. Looks like Phil is a little salty(and we all should be) from Verizon moving all these release dates around! Either way I am taking back my Droid Charge tomm and waiting for this phone, Charge nice but the GPS sucks and after the Fascinate I am not dealing with the RFS file system.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
CK & DolfanCole - I've been lurking in this and the Bionic forum for a few weeks now. What do you guys think about the GS2 only having a 1650 mAh battery? I know the Bionic is rumored to have a 1750 mAh battery. thoughts?
Hi geerrub, I think the other gentlemen summed it up pretty nicely about battery life. Only thing I can really add is that people that are using it on AT&T's network haven't raised any complaints so that's a good sign. But and this is the most important thing if Verizon loads a ton of bloat on it it can become an issue. This could be a moot point though since the handset is unlocked. Lets hope Verizon leaves it unlocked :)

Screen is also not a huge draw on power. They are really nailing it down with these new screens.

I haven't been this excited for a phone to drop since the OG Droid for cryin out loud lol.

Sent from my Droid

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
According to thisismynext its the Tablet not the Galaxy S 2. I updated OP. Business as usual..........

A Verizon spokesperson has just confirmed with us that Computerworld‘s report of the Galaxy S II being launched next month is not accurate — rather, it’s the LTE-enabled version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that’s going on sale in July. That’s not to say that Verizon won’t be launching the phone — rumors have been floating around for about a month now that a variety of American carriers are taking a good, hard look at adding the well-received model to their shelves — but for the moment, Verizon customers, you can turn your attention back to other goodies like the Droid Charge. No dual-core on that one, granted… but at least you still have Super AMOLED Plus

Source: Thismynext

Last edited:

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
And we are back to waiting, the rep wasnt referring to the Galaxy S 2 at all but instead the Galaxy Tab, ain't that a kick in the giblets!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36