Things get more confusing with the latest news of a 1.4GHZ Galaxy S device. According to Phonedog , Samsung is planning to release an improved version of the Galaxy S II in August or September that's meant to do battle with Apple's next generation iPhone and its A5 processor.

The Samsung device may be named the Galaxy S II Plus and is said to pack a 1.4GHz processor, 1GB RAM, and Android 2.3.4.

So will this be the handset that will see a US release and could this be the reason the handset has not been announced yet? Releasing a Galaxy S II handset then shortly after releasing the Plus version does not make a whole lot of sense to me. Why not just get the Plus out the door in August and be done with it? So many questions.....

Thoughts, opinions, theories?

Source: PhoneDog
    06-27-2011 11:36 PM
    Enough with these shenanigans. Just release the Verizon LTE version. The Samsung can come out with all the plus or plus plus versions that they want.

I applaud their efforts to bring the best they canto the market, but before tweaking an already great phone maybe they should concentrate on releasing a U.S. version. I am just saying....
    06-28-2011 12:24 AM
    All this hype I sure hope samsung lives up to it because htc failed to with the tbolt, though it will be considered a success in their eyes.
    06-28-2011 01:28 AM
    will +200 MHz really make a significant difference in overall performance for the galaxy s2?
    06-28-2011 03:17 AM
    will +200 MHz really make a significant difference in overall performance for the galaxy s2?
    Once Verizon fills it with bloatware, it'll need the extra processing power
    spencer0279 likes this.
    06-28-2011 08:14 AM
    Color me intrigued!
    06-28-2011 08:37 AM
    honestly? No

Just bragging rights but I certainly won't be complaining. An extra 400MHZ is an extra 400MHZ
    06-28-2011 12:15 PM
    Color me intrigued!
    never heard of that color. Is that an earth tone or pastel?
    06-28-2011 12:16 PM
    While I think it would be nice, I want the phone yesterday. So, anything that might delay its release is not something I'm interested in. It's not clear though whether they are attaining the extra 200MHz through software or they're actually using a different processor. If it's simply the same processor and overclocked (or just with a change in clock speed), that shouldn't delay anything.
    06-28-2011 12:28 PM
    I think if this is the case then we will see only one released and not two. It wouldn't make much sense to release one with the current specs and then the plus so soon after. Figure they will delay it, make the improvements, then release the plus model only. This change and the button change leads me to think that they indeed might be adding LTE as well.
    06-28-2011 12:30 PM
    I think if this is the case then we will see only one released and not two. It wouldn't make much sense to release one with the current specs and then the plus so soon after. Figure they will delay it, make the improvements, then release the plus model only. This change and the button change leads me to think that they indeed might be adding LTE as well.
    I agree. I don't think it makes much sense to release two versions, particularly if they're released pretty close together and the only difference is the clock speed. This still begs the question on how they're achieving the extra clock speed though. Is it a hardware upgrade or a overclocking/software solution? If it's a software solution, I don't see it holding back the release at all.

That said, I could see them releasing two versions if they release the original version and then another with both the increased clock speed and LTE. I would expect them to spread the releases out more though, say a Oct/Nov/Dec release for the Plus.
    06-28-2011 12:42 PM
    I agree. I don't think it makes much sense to release two versions, particularly if they're released pretty close together and the only difference is the clock speed. This still begs the question on how they're achieving the extra clock speed though. Is it a hardware upgrade or a overclocking/software solution? If it's a software solution, I don't see it holding back the release at all.

That said, I could see them releasing two versions if they release the original version and then another with both the increased clock speed and LTE. I would expect them to spread the releases out more though, say a Oct/Nov/Dec release for the Plus.
    Yep, I agree with that. If we see two models released within a few months of each other then I think we will see something more substantial than just a difference in processor speed. I'm hoping that we just get everything and before September. While they are changing things, maybe they can throw in a notification light as well, although not at the cost of a delay
    06-28-2011 01:06 PM
    never heard of that color. Is that an earth tone or pastel?
    Neither. I can tell you that it's bright and beautiful though, much like a SAMOLED+ display.
    06-28-2011 02:27 PM
    Well all I know is this is that all of the release rumors on the net still keep suggesting a July release date. I will be selling my DC and getting this one.
    06-28-2011 02:46 PM
    This is what I think as well slowie. Only makes sense. I love how samsung is playing hardball with their Android handsets. These boys are playing for keeps.

Sent from my Droid
    06-28-2011 05:26 PM
    Obviously I hope that we will see a July release, just because the sooner the better since I know most of us are tired of waiting. I have a feeling that it won't hit in July though because of some of the changes. I think what might happen is either it gets released in early to mid-August and the Bionic gets pushed back to late August, or vice versa. That would give Verizon a huge month of premier phones with S2, Bionic, and iPhone(assuming it does come in September). Of course the scary part, for us waiting on this phone, is if Verizon pushes this back further to really spread it out and gives Bionic mid-August, iPhone the first half of September, and S2 in late September/early October. I want to say that won't happen because the other carriers seem to be getting an S2 as well and I don't think Verizon will want to lose out on some of the hype. All speculation, but I think this phone is more likely to come out sooner rather than later.

Personally I feel like all the delays with the Bionic are what is screwing this up. That phone was supposed to be out by now, and yet it keeps getting delayed to make changes. Now it is looking to release around the time that the S2 was looking to release. I feel like Moto screwed the pooch on that and lost a lot of the hype it once had because of this whole ordeal with the tiered plans. I think if we get confirmation that the S2 is coming out soon and has LTE then the Bionic is dead in the water. LTE seems to be the only feature that keeps that phone ahead of this one for many.
    06-28-2011 07:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD