To My Fellow X Motorola Fans

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
After going to the Vz store I had a chance to see the new DX 2. Man that thing was fast. N in comparison to my DC the screen was pretty nice. The one advantage I did see over the DC screen is that it was brighter. Also the saturation wasnt tha bad. Moto blur wasnt that hideous. So my thing is this I am going to wait til both phones have dropped the Bionic and the Sammie before I make a decision. But I wanna hear ya'll takes especially CK and Johnly. Of course everyone else feel free to chime in.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
This is the Samsung Galaxy S2 Function forum.

I do realize that I should and I will see if I can edit the title of my thread. It should be to the Ex Motorola fans. I am just trying to garner the opinions of those who were once Motorola enthusiasts as to why the are now interested in the Function. I for one love Sammy Screens. Just qn ongoing journey before I choose my next phone. Thank you kimdly for the reminder

eric6052

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I have the original Droid X and it's a great phone but I will definitly be taking a look at Sammy's latest offering because it looks like an awesome piece of hardware. I'm not at all a fan of Motoblur since it offers nothing I can't get in a seperate app and tends to be laggy and slow things down. I won't buy another phone with a locked bootloader or Moroblur on principal since I don't want to encourage either. I have an upgrade coming this year and the Galaxy S2 is looking really good but I live in an lte area so there's that to consider as well.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The GS2 Fucntion with LTE should be awesome. I did buy the Charge simply because my son needed a new phone. I luckily have two upgrades that I can use.
After I bought my DC I did go to At&T to compare screens with the Atrix. I came away unimpressed. But like I said in my first post after seeing the DX2 I just started wondering.
Samsung screens blow me away. Im standing pat til both of these phones are out side by side.

The screen on the DC did have the edge. So I can only imagine the Super Amoled sittin on the GS2 Function.

tehsusenoh

May 26, 2011
teh.cx.cc
I do realize that I should and I will see if I can edit the title of my thread. It should be to the Ex Motorola fans. I am just trying to garner the opinions of those who were once Motorola enthusiasts as to why the are now interested in the Function. I for one love Sammy Screens. Just qn ongoing journey before I choose my next phone. Thank you kimdly for the reminder

Ah, now that I read that, it makes more sense.

For me, it has to be the speed. Just look at any chart of phones, the SGS2 has to be the fastest out there. Nothing Moto has can beat that, considering the Bionic isn't out yet (soon though!).

Plus the Function wouldn't be MotoBlurred. Although if I get the Bionic, I'm sure to get a better Launcher and then a ROM soon after.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Ah, now that I read that, it makes more sense.

For me, it has to be the speed. Just look at any chart of phones, the SGS2 has to be the fastest out there. Nothing Moto has can beat that, considering the Bionic isn't out yet (soon though!).

Plus the Function wouldn't be MotoBlurred. Although if I get the Bionic, I'm sure to get a better Launcher and then a ROM soon after.

Yeah my initial wording did leave a great deal of room for misinterpretation.
After having an LTE phone I don't want to go back. Motoblur didn't really bother
me. I think if they are evenly matched it will come down to who has the best screen.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Now someone please correct me if I am wrong. But here is what I did.
I youtubed the DX2 vs the SGS2/ I figured it would give me an idea about the Bionic
for the most part. Probably what it will come down to for me is the screen.
Man side by side DX2 screen, no comparison. I am thinking that the only advantage
or feature that the Bionic will have over this is the laptop dock. Other than that I am probably gonna
go with the Function

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Now someone please correct me if I am wrong. But here is what I did.
I youtubed the DX2 vs the SGS2/ I figured it would give me an idea about the Bionic
for the most part. Probably what it will come down to for me is the screen.
Man side by side DX2 screen, no comparison. I am thinking that the only advantage
or feature that the Bionic will have over this is the laptop dock. Other than that I am probably gonna
go with the Function

Much discussion on the laptop dock and whether it's a good thing or not. That aside, I think the one thing that the Bionic has over the GSII is that we know the Bionic will be 4G/LTE. If the GSII does come out with 4G/LTE, then that throws that out the window.

Although, I would say that another thing the Bionic may have over the GSII is that we know for sure that it will be on Verizon and it's looking more and more like it'll hit before the GSII will. Unfortunately, this is starting to weigh more and more on me as I continue to wait for these devices.

Gafflation

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Understood, I have enjoyed Motorola phones but am leaning toward the Function at the moment as 4G is not a deal breaker for me. The only time there isn't a WiFi signal is when I'm in my car and I doubt I will be surfing the internet while driving.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Soba the GSII simply runs like no other Android device out. The new Motorola's have that ever present lag (photon, Atrix ,DX2) Homescreens, menus, browser pinch to zoom have that motorola signature laginess to them. The HTC's on the other hand are smooth in some categories but fail in others.

Samsungs package is solid. It has married the software AND hardware package like no other.

I just became a huge supporter of them since this device was announced and subsequently released (UK etc)

I was a huge Motorola fan but they have done absolutely nothing in 2 years. WebTop is a huge waste we have tablets and laptops. Who needs to pay a tethering fee (if applicable) and then have to purchase a lapdock w accesorries? Certainly not me. Its an expensive gimmick. Most people will say "I don't need that" and take a couple steps to the right or left and look at the next device.I can't imagine people suddenly waking up and flocking to carriers to buy a Photon or Bionic. Put out a nice device that can compete in the marketplace and then we have something. Otherwise sit back and watch the big boys take the field.

Moto's on the edge of obscurity if they don't stay competitive and if they are banking on this webtop nonsense to get them out of the basement well they can kiss their butts goodbye. People will simply buy other devices. WebTop is a dead end.

Sanjay better get his head out of his butt or he will find himself in the unemployment line.

Sent from my Droid

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
After going to the Vz store I had a chance to see the new DX 2. Man that thing was fast. N in comparison to my DC the screen was pretty nice. The one advantage I did see over the DC screen is that it was brighter. Also the saturation wasnt tha bad. Moto blur wasnt that hideous. So my thing is this I am going to wait til both phones have dropped the Bionic and the Sammie before I make a decision. But I wanna hear ya'll takes especially CK and Johnly. Of course everyone else feel free to chime in.

Trendy! (I know you as such,) Soba1~ I haven't had the privilege to check the X2 out. I am still in love with the X, and now that it is running CM7, I have not even wanted the likes of anything but the nexus. If I didn't have an X, and you weren't into waiting, I would say an X2 is the best thing NOW! I love the display...but I love a unlocked loader, and I am not versed on the X2, but only the X. I love it...I would love a Bionic with an unlocked loader, or a SG2, or Nexus, if motor locks the loader at launch, run, ja isn't serious...IMO.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Soba the GSII simply runs like no other Android device out. The new Motorola's have that ever present lag (photon, Atrix ,DX2) Homescreens, menus, browser pinch to zoom have that motorola signature laginess to them. The HTC's on the other hand are smooth in some categories but fail in others.

Samsungs package is solid. It has married the software AND hardware package like no other.

I just became a huge supporter of them since this device was announced and subsequently released (UK etc)

I was a huge Motorola fan but they have done absolutely nothing in 2 years. WebTop is a huge waste we have tablets and laptops. Who needs to pay a tethering fee (if applicable) and then have to purchase a lapdock w accesorries? Certainly not me. Its an expensive gimmick. Most people will say "I don't need that" and take a couple steps to the right or left and look at the next device.I can't imagine people suddenly waking up and flocking to carriers to buy a Photon or Bionic. Put out a nice device that can compete in the marketplace and then we have something. Otherwise sit back and watch the big boys take the field.

Moto's on the edge of obscurity if they don't stay competitive and if they are banking on this webtop nonsense to get them out of the basement well they can kiss their butts goodbye. People will simply buy other devices. WebTop is a dead end.

Sanjay better get his head out of his butt or he will find himself in the unemployment line.

Sent from my Droid

The X is cult.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes I agree. I will say the X was a step in the right direction. X2 on the otherhand with that horrendous pentile LCD is something to be desired :)

Sent from my Droid

ha ha! That damn pentile POS! I have not seen it ,so I reserve my judgment, lol! My GFs SAMOLED sucks in comparison to my OGX, so I reserve.......

Drosul

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I consider myself to be another of the people who jumped off the Bionic wagon, likely leaning towards the GSII. However, after finally getting to compare a Super Amoled+ screen (charge), and the qHD Pentile (DX2) at the store this week, I am actually less sure of what phone I wan.

DX2: I'll say this screen didn't look nearly as washed out, and outright terrible as many of the photos on the internet make it out to be. THAT SAID, you can definately notice the pentile effect. It's worth noting that the reason it didn't look washed out was likely because the screen settings aren't sitting on the ultimate battery saving low light mode. I didn't notice much lag on it at all, like many of the reviews on it. And actually am much more interested in checking the Bionic out after playing with the DX2

Charge: This screen actually looked worse than the internet, looking very OVER SATURATED. This makes me a little bit leary of a SuperAmoled +, but the GSII has the ability to dial the saturation down, and again the screen probably wasn't running on super powersaver low brightness mode. This phone actually put some things in perspective for me, as the display model was just as snappy as the DX2, which was loading things as soon as I touched them, even without dual core, or massive amounts of ram. I really wonder how much of this "snappiness" is even measurable on basic phones with empty memory banks, only like 2 stock apps on them, I couldn't get any of them to start stuttering, like my OG droid used to.

Verdict: My upgrade is in early September, which gives me a nice window to see Bionic reviews before picking one way or another. The theory is that the GSII would be released 15 days after the Bionic, but still 15 days before the new iphone, to prevent people trading in, otherwise we might not see it before October. I doubt I will wait that long, unless the Bionic gets bad reviews. I am however, still leaning towards the GSII overall, if it comes as LTE, and I can spend some time making sure I can tone down the screen to a tolerable level.

As far as UI's are concerned.... Neither blur or touchwiz really struck me as "nice" and I'd likely root/rom the phone regardless, since that is what I was used to on my OG droid... especially if you can still get around paying VZW to tether occasionally, as needed, without having to rely on things like PDAnet.

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
This makes me a little bit leary of a SuperAmoled +, but the GSII has the ability to dial the saturation down, and again the screen probably wasn't running on super powersaver low brightness mode.

Wow, I had no idea! Where did you read that? Link? That's some nice ammunition to have for when the, "Ewww, no way, it's so over-saturated! Bionic FTW!" folks rear their heads, ha ha.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks fellas for weighing in.
@ Johnly; maybe I should us Trendy as my handle here as well.
Someone mentioned power saving mode on the screen. Darn I had that checked. Im gonna
have to go back and compare screens again. I got two upgrades left and I am
gonna take my time.

@CK if you have to pay an extra fee for lap top dock that would surely suck.
What would definitely be the point, and I hardly use my laptop since I have
been rocking my Sammy Tab 7". Yeeeeup I am probably gonna bite
on the 10.1.

But hey thanks again; and one more thing. Even though they rave about
the Moto screen in direct sunlight; I have yet to see anything come close
to it outdoors. N I do really love the Sammy screen.
As far as the saturation; I like the freaky acid trip colors on this DC.

I thinks the freaks like us will do some serious scrutinizing.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech