[List][VZW GNote2]Remove Bloatware

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
DroidXcon said:

[WARN]
Android Central, Creators of the modifications,nor myself take any responsibility for any modification you make to your own phone. Even if your phone sprouts legs, steals your car ,uses your credit cards or sleeps with your girl. NOT OUR FAULT

You MUST have a ROOTED device to make these modifications.​

Follow Directions carefully, ask if you need help and above all else never panic.
That being said, HAVE FUN!!​
[/WARN]​
Guide: Removing Bloatware
Titanium Backup (paid app)
One of the simplest ways of getting rid of bloat and one of my personal favorite apps is Titanium backup. Using Titanium backup you can freeze bloatware and if you want it can defrost it for future use. App cryogenics if you will.

Titanium Backup
titaniumbak.png

Below is a flow chart demonstrating how to freeze and defrost apps.
MrFreeze.jpg
How to Freeze apps
Using a File manager (free or paid)
If you choose not to use Titanium backup there are other options.Using any File manager from the market that gives you root management such as Root Explorer or File Manager you can rename apps rendering them disabled and unable to restart themselves. The example below is using Root explorer but the basic principles would apply to any root file manager application.

Root Explorer

Making it root managing accessible:
MountRORW.png

Navigating Root Explorer:
NavigateRootExplorer.png

Renaming an app apk to disable it ( to re-enable the app rename it from .bak to .apk)
Rename.png

The example below
How to Rename apps

AllShare Play
AllShare Service
Amazon 2.011
Amazon 2.05
Amazon Kindle
Amazon MP3
Audible
Backup Assitant
com.samsung tutorial
DirectConnect manager
DirectShareManager
Factory Mode
Factory Test
Google Play Mag
Google Play Movies & TV
Group Cast
Help
LCD test
Market Feedback
Media Hub
Mobile tracker
Music Hub
My verizon mobile
New Daemon
NFC test
NFL Mobile
Phase beam
Pickup Tutorial
S suggest
Self test mode
Setup wizard 1.3
Setup wizard 1.0
Stock Daemon
Sync Service
TestService
Verizon Remote diagnostic
Viewdini
Voicemail
VPN Client
VPNdialogs
VZ Navigator
Weather Daemon
WiFI Direct
WiFI Direct share
Windy weather
Yahoo Finance
Yahoo News
Zappos
Bloatware List

• Skunkape60
Thank you for the wonderful Titanium backup flow chart
Credits
Guide: Removing Bloatware

Last edited:

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I feel like this is common sense but just in case... If you use Weather or News in the lock screen then DO NOT disable/freeze Weather and/or News Dameon.

DarkChylde-QC

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey DroidXcon - Many thanks for putting up this bloatware list. I'm going through it at this very moment to eliminate all unnecessary background processing.

I'm not renaming or deleting any of them at this time as I'm trying to be conservative with how I handle this phone, at least out of the gate. I've rooted just to try to UNDO some of the evil performed at the hands of 'the carrier'. That said - I'm still interested in making sure that I'm able to receive updates from Verizon, a few typically get sent out immediately after launches to address issues. I'm not familiar with all of the apps on this list; can you explain the purpose of the following:

1) DirectConnect mgr and DirectShareMgr
2) Factory Mode and Factory Test
3) LCD Test
4) Market Feedback
5) Mobile Tracker
6) Phase Beam
7) Pickup Tutorial
8) Self test Mode
9) Setup Wizard 1.3 and Setup Wizard 1.0
10) Sync Service and Test Service
11) VPN client and VPNdialogs
12) WIFI Direct and WIFI Direct share

I've googled a few of these with marginal results at best. Just interested in understanding how they're used in conjunction with this phone to determine if I have any personal use cases which would required them.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey DroidXcon - Many thanks for putting up this bloatware list. I'm going through it at this very moment to eliminate all unnecessary background processing.

I'm not renaming or deleting any of them at this time as I'm trying to be conservative with how I handle this phone, at least out of the gate. I've rooted just to try to UNDO some of the evil performed at the hands of 'the carrier'. That said - I'm still interested in making sure that I'm able to receive updates from Verizon, a few typically get sent out immediately after launches to address issues. I'm not familiar with all of the apps on this list; can you explain the purpose of the following:

1) DirectConnect mgr and DirectShareMgr
2) Factory Mode and Factory Test
3) LCD Test
4) Market Feedback
5) Mobile Tracker
6) Phase Beam
7) Pickup Tutorial
8) Self test Mode
9) Setup Wizard 1.3 and Setup Wizard 1.0
10) Sync Service and Test Service
11) VPN client and VPNdialogs
12) WIFI Direct and WIFI Direct share

I've googled a few of these with marginal results at best. Just interested in understanding how they're used in conjunction with this phone to determine if I have any personal use cases which would required them.

Honestly I don't know how they effect usage most of them I disabled with no ill effect to MY personal usage of the phone. Others Were reported to me as being able to disable by forum members.They very well May break functions that I never use therefore don't know about. The only one I know for sure is setup wizard which sets up the phone in activation. Besides that I can just guess that the test apps are for developer diagnostics. Vpn client is for virtual private network to share data with a remote network. Please report to us if you find that sdisabling any of these cause any problems in functionality.
Sorry if I want any help

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

DarkChylde-QC

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No worries, DXC - as always, I appreciate the response. Thus far, freezing them has caused no issues to my phone. That 'Phase Beam' turned out to be live wallpaper. I'll definitely advise if any issues arise. I'm kind of on hold right now with downloading new apps and trying new functionality, given the Exynos exploit issue that is affecting all GN2 phones atm.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
No worries, DXC - as always, I appreciate the response. Thus far, freezing them has caused no issues to my phone. That 'Phase Beam' turned out to be live wallpaper. I'll definitely advise if any issues arise. I'm kind of on hold right now with downloading new apps and trying new functionality, given the Exynos exploit issue that is affecting all GN2 phones atm.
Just use the app and plug the hole. http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...app-oneclick-root-patch-security-exploit.html

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I found out that the WiFi direct will cause some issues with the S Pen. When you use the button on the S Pen and use it to circle something for a picture it will sit there for a period of time and give you a force close. You can turn off WiFi direct Share and it will work but I think for that function you need WiFi direct.

DarkChylde-QC

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the bloatware update, creccaj1. I tried it out, and although I had a slight delay processing the cut out image, i didn't get a fc. I'll defrost the app just the same, though. Better safe than sorry, right? :)

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the bloatware update, creccaj1. I tried it out, and although I had a slight delay processing the cut out image, i didn't get a fc. I'll defrost the app just the same, though. Better safe than sorry, right? :)

That's strange actually lol. I literally froze the app and got a force close and then unfroze and worked fine. Only app that gave me a problem.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Do you guys recommend deleting the bloat ware or freezing? I want to free up space on my phone. I just rooted tonight and I am running the OS that came on the phone.

I also want to move apps to the SD card. Do I need to flash another rom to do this? If so, which rom would be good for a noob?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys recommend deleting the bloat ware or freezing? I want to free up space on my phone. I just rooted tonight and I am running the OS that came on the phone.

I also want to move apps to the SD card. Do I need to flash another rom to do this? If so, which rom would be good for a noob?

Don't delete the bloatware. Reason is if you delete the bloat its gone forever (duh I know) but if you ever want to go back to stock in order to receive an OTA you need to restore certain bloatware in order to make sure your phone is recognized for the update. Freezing it is not a problem since you can unfreeze when and if you want to stick with stock and get an OTA. However, deleting the bloat will mean you may need to restore to stock with ODIN in order to get an OTA.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Don't delete the bloatware. Reason is if you delete the bloat its gone forever (duh I know) but if you ever want to go back to stock in order to receive an OTA you need to restore certain bloatware in order to make sure your phone is recognized for the update. Freezing it is not a problem since you can unfreeze when and if you want to stick with stock and get an OTA. However, deleting the bloat will mean you may need to restore to stock with ODIN in order to get an OTA.

Thanks for replying. I think instead of dealing with the bloat ware problem myself I'll just load the beans rom. It looks nice and many people here seem to like it.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for replying. I think instead of dealing with the bloat ware problem myself I'll just load the beans rom. It looks nice and many people here seem to like it.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2

That works too. Custom ROMs like Beans or CleanROM will remove the majority of the bloat but some of it will remain because they are features of the phone that some users will use while others will not. I still go through the list and freeze anything I don't need but a good chunk of the list is gone when you flash a custom ROM.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie