Rom questions please!!!!

biggjd69

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried the jellybean ROM for the Unlocked Note 2 for the XDA forum. I am just wondering thoughts on it and what exactly do we lose from Stock ROM? Thanks

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
It depends on what you mean by lose.
For instance, on Beans ROM, you lose the stock toggles, but there are others there as replacements. I didn't see anything "missing".

On clean ROM, it seems to be missing support for 3rd party LED notification. Other than that though I really like clean ROM. I especially like the addition of the multi-window control app, which easily allows for adding/subtracting apps from the multi-window.

Both of those have an issue importing contacts from the sd card. They fail with an I/O error, but if you tap on the exported file, the option to put it into contacts works just fine.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Considering giving Beans a try... Liked his work on the GS3, but also like the Clean as well. Going to probably unlock my bootloader sometime this weekend, don't have a lot of time to do it during the week.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Considering giving Beans a try... Liked his work on the GS3, but also like the Clean as well. Going to probably unlock my bootloader sometime this weekend, don't have a lot of time to do it during the week.

Hey can you link me up to the tw launcher mod with looping home screen and get me a copy of the stock tw launcher from the gs3

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey can you link me up to the tw launcher mod with looping home screen and get me a copy of the stock tw launcher from the gs3

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

I would have to do some digging. Recently had to do a full wipe of my computer and nothing was saved, including links I saved with a bunch of info. Ill see what I can find though.

biggjd69

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Pool Shark. That is the answer I was looking for. So give me your opinion, should I try bean ROM or Clean Rom first?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Flash both and do a nandroid for the one you flash first. If you don't like the second one more, flash it back. No down side really lol.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
There are a lot who really like Bean's ROM and it has some great work done to it and he is updating it regularly. There are a number of good ROM's popping up over there. Always remember to make a backup of your stock before you flash in case you need to revert.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Pool Shark. That is the answer I was looking for. So give me your opinion, should I try bean ROM or Clean Rom first?

I seem to go back and forth (I get bored easily).
I like cleanROM because it's 4.1.2 and has the stock toggles (I think they look better), and CleanROM includes the choice to use the multi window control mod, and a different kernel during installation.

You can use those on Beans but they aren't included as choices during installation.
Beans supports all of the Verizon apps, Clean does not.
Beans also has more cosmetic mods like the centered clock and battery indicator mods.

Last edited:

TWISM

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I am running beans v3 and I love it. One thing I enjoy about Android is the AOSP look, I loved it on my Galaxy Nexus but that thing ended up not working out as well as I would have liked so having beans rom has really helped me continue with the AOSP look. I have chosen the AOSP lock screen and sms/mms setup. Works great and V4 should be out soon! I was running Beans when we had to flash it via Odin and it's always been solid.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Ran both CleanROM and Beans (both B3 and B4) and there pluses and minuses for both. CleanROM is like the name states... very clean. If you prefer the look of stock TW then CleanROM will probably work the best for you. Comes with stock toggles and settings interface/color scheme. Beans is themed mostly black and gives a closer look to AOSP which is my preference. You can add AOSP lockscreen, messenger and status bar mods.

CleanROM does comes with Perseus kernel built in, while Beans is running off stock kernel. This is going to be a matter of preference again since both run smooth. Perseus will just allow you to overclock and has custom tweaked governors. I have been flip flopping back and forth and finding myself sticking with Beans for now. Have a feeling when the next revision of Clean comes out I will be flashing that to see the change.

RLLangley

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok thanks to DroidXcon I've got my phone rooted and setup like I like it. Now you guys are talking about other ROMs and other goodies so having some time off from work has got me exploring and reading about what my phone can do. Saw creccaj1 guide on unlocking my bootloader. Seems pretty easy. Something I can do. Now again I see the wonderful warning about it could wipe my data and to backup. What are the chances of that wipe happening and is my best way to backup before trying this Titanium Backup?

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
rll i am more concerned how to make sure my data is backed up and how i can confirm its there on my SD. I think I need to factory reset and want to be sure I have my backup.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok thanks to DroidXcon I've got my phone rooted and setup like I like it. Now you guys are talking about other ROMs and other goodies so having some time off from work has got me exploring and reading about what my phone can do. Saw creccaj1 guide on unlocking my bootloader. Seems pretty easy. Something I can do. Now again I see the wonderful warning about it could wipe my data and to backup. What are the chances of that wipe happening and is my best way to backup before trying this Titanium Backup?

Well it will come down to a couple of things.... but your question first.

Titanium Backup can store all of your applications and data so that you can easily restore everything when you get back up and running. That being said you should never, I repeat NEVER, use Titanium Backup to restore system application data. Only applications you have downloaded/installed yourself. You can restore everything that you have downloaded/installed easily but bad things happen when you use Titanium to restore system applications.

Now to the wiping part. There is a chance you will have to wipe to get the CASUAL file to work that is needed to run in order to set up your phone to unlock. If you are on a Rooted ROM, you may have to wipe because some stock rooted ROMs don't play nice with CASUAL for some reason. If you try the unlocking method and you get an error and doesn't work, no harm no foul and nothing with your phone has been effected. Try to run CASUAL, if it works with no errors you won't lose data. If you get an error you can go from there with whatever you decide to do.

RLLangley

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Well it will come down to a couple of things.... but your question first.

Titanium Backup can store all of your applications and data so that you can easily restore everything when you get back up and running. That being said you should never, I repeat NEVER, use Titanium Backup to restore system application data. Only applications you have downloaded/installed yourself. You can restore everything that you have downloaded/installed easily but bad things happen when you use Titanium to restore system applications.

No to the wiping part. There is a chance you will have to wipe to get the CASUAL file to work that is needed to run in order to set up your phone to unlock. If you are on a Rooted ROM, you may have to wipe because some stock rooted ROMs don't play nice with CASUAL for some reason. If you try the unlocking method and you get an error and doesn't work, no harm no foul and nothing with your phone has been effected. Try to run CASUAL, if it works with no errors you won't lose data. If you get an error you can go from there with whatever you decide to do.

Sweet! Thank you!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
CleanROM also uses the international N7105 GN2 base code so its built off of 4.1.2 and its the latest OS build available and you will get benefits that Verizon clearly stripped away from us. One suggestion for those flashing different ROM's is to perhaps return to your first TWRP (or CWM) backup of the stock to insure you are flashing from a clean build, don't forget to wipe :)

RLLangley

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok giving CleanROM a try. My only question right now is when it gets updated do you have to go through the whole flashing and restore all your data?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae