Rom questions please!!!!

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok giving CleanROM a try. My only question right now is when it gets updated do you have to go through the whole flashing and restore all your data?

It depends on what's updated. Lots of users get by with "dirty" flashing, but if they experience problems then they reflash and wipe cache and factory reset (clean).
Titanium backup will restore all of your user apps and their settings, so there isn't much to setup after reflashing.

It's always best to clean flash when switching ROMs.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
If you are coming from something like Stock Rooted, perform a clean flash (wiping data/factory reset). If you are coming from revisions... for example Beans B3 to Beans B4 like myself, you can get away without wiping data/factory reset.

crl95

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If you are coming from something like Stock Rooted, perform a clean flash (wiping data/factory reset). If you are coming from revisions... for example Beans B3 to Beans B4 like myself, you can get away without wiping data/factory reset.
im confused you just said to do the same thing twice... dont you not need to do a factory reset

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
im confused you just said to do the same thing twice... dont you not need to do a factory reset

No what I said is correct. If you are coming from Stock Rooted, basic Touch Wiz out of the box only with Root Access and you are going to flashing something like Beans B4 or CleanROM 3.5V you will need to perform a full clean wipe. That means in recovery wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache + wipe dalvik + wipe system.

If you are going from Beans B3 to Beans B4 or something like that you can do a "dirty" flash. All this means is you can get away WITHOUT wiping data/factory reset. You still should wipe cache + wipe dalvik + wipe system.

I see a lot in developer posts their instructions only say to wipe data and both caches. That is true in most cases but I also am a huge advocate of wiping system as well (for both clean and dirty flashes). This is just me personally since this will slightly lower your chances of running into a problem. Wiping system does NOT wipe you data on your phone.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
gentleman, I saw on a video somewhere, can't remember where, when doing one of the two roms, you have the option at setup to keep it touchwiz themed. Is this the case? Would we be able to have all the mods, but actually keep the s note stuff as well as the all important touchwiz calendar widget? That is my goal i think if and when i get the balls to do it!!

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
gentleman, I saw on a video somewhere, can't remember where, when doing one of the two roms, you have the option at setup to keep it touchwiz themed. Is this the case? Would we be able to have all the mods, but actually keep the s note stuff as well as the all important touchwiz calendar widget? That is my goal i think if and when i get the balls to do it!!

If you can find the video and link that would be great so I can know for sure what you are talking about. In regards to theming on the ROM, Beans ROM is themed and CleanROM is mostly stock looking. Beans only themes slightly to give it the stock ICS/JB look (notification bar and SMS/MMS app most notably). I have not seen anything that themed the TouchWiz applications/widgets but I will also do some looking later tonight. If you can find that video though, that would be great.