Jelly Bean's Build Questions

jengobengo

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
First off, I feel I have to thank DroidXcon, creccaj1, beefchopper and all others for their help in the stickies/youtube/elsewhere! I had never rooted/messed with my phone passed installing a launcher, and was able to root, unlock bootloader and install Jelly Bean's Build ROM quite easily. My phobia of messing with my expensive phone (used to be a HTC Incredible back in 2009 :p) has turned into an obsession to make it just how I like.

Anyway, after installing Build 4, I had some minor questions:

1) I could not get the modded Wifi Tethering app (TrevE mod) to work on my phone prior to installing JB's ROM (even though I was already rooted through the exploit app). I figured it would work now, but it still does not. Instead I found using the Mobile Hotspot feature/app not only works, but is super easy to change settings. Is this the Verizon app/feature or something baked into the ROM? Since I'm rooted, can I just use this in place of the Wifi Tethering app (and not get charged by VZ)?

2) I set my camera to save photos on my SD card, but after taking the photos they show up as blank images in the gallery ("Unable to load photo" is all I see when I open them on the phone). When i switch storage to phone, I have no issue. I wonder if this has to do with my selecting the "SD/phone storage swap" option upon installing the ROM?

3) On the issue of the SD card/phone memory swap: I don't see an app for this, so I assume this swap just took place upon installing the ROM. When I go to storage under settings, "Device memory" is showing my SD card's information. "SD card" is my phone's memory then, but I don't get why over 6GB is still being used on it (only 4.7GB available). Not that I'm hurting for space with my 32GB SD card...

4) Would it be difficult to install the stock Android camera to try out photo spheres? Any reason not to try and replace the Samsung camera app with the stock one?

5) Super small quibble, but Ingress doesn't seem to work in Multi-window :/

6) I kinda feel stupid for thinking prior to installing that the ROM looked like stock OS in the videos because it "was" (however stupid that may sound to people who know this stuff). Instead it's a launcher that makes it look that way. I guess I can use any old launcher to make a lot of the aesthetic tweaks found in the ROM, or are there particular things GO Launcher (which I used on my Incredible) or ADW (which I bought last year on sale but never used) can't replicate? I hate having to mess with things all over again after changing launchers, so I may just stick with what this ROM came with.

Again, thanks so much to the community here!

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey jengobengo, I have yet to install this ROM and one of your points hit on my curiosity. I am hoping/wanting this Rom to look like stock touchwiz but based on point 6, it doesnt? Do you mind posting some pics of your home screen, etc?

jengobengo

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey jengobengo, I have yet to install this ROM and one of your points hit on my curiosity. I am hoping/wanting this Rom to look like stock touchwiz but based on point 6, it doesnt? Do you mind posting some pics of your home screen, etc?

I changed my wallpaper and added some widgets/folders so this is NOT how the ROM looks upon first installing it. For that, I would check this out:

Again, super cool ROM, but I would have had a different idea of the look of it if Nova Launcher (or just that a launcher) was mentioned more as the way it's achieved.

34zlfns.png

2462w5i.png

hvng43.png

svo27a.png

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Looks badass. I am still really curious to see his build post setup selecting touchwiz style. Thanks for the video.

jengobengo

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I wish I had it in my to re-install and check, but I really don't like the idea of re-installing everything and having to enter in all my account info into my different apps (Starbucks, Twitter, etc)...I bet there's a workaround that kind of stuff through backing up one way or another, since I've read on forums of people who flash ROMs regularly back and forth.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I set up beans with the touchwiz launcher and while it looked the same and ran well, I ALWAYS have problems with my gallery when i do the whole internal/sd swap mod that was included. Also, its a knoiwn issue that google talk doesnt work.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I set up beans with the touchwiz launcher and while it looked the same and ran well, I ALWAYS have problems with my gallery when i do the whole internal/sd swap mod that was included. Also, its a knoiwn issue that google talk doesnt work.

Really? GTalk doesn't work? What build are you running?

I was on Build 4 and GTalk worked fine for me, haven't flashed B5 yet I was planning on giving it a try tonight but maybe now I will hold off.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Build 4. It doesnt work on clean 3.5 either. Not sure why.

Edit: It doesnt log me on when I click sign in as all my contacts are "signed out". I am looking at my gmail and plenty of contacts are online. I tried a force close and data wipe but nada. So, chalking it up to a non working app. Also, my gmail wont sync automatically on clean rom 3.5 so I will probably remove this Rom.

Last edited:

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Edit: It doesnt log me on when I click sign in as all my contacts are "signed out". I am looking at my gmail and plenty of contacts are online. I tried a force close and data wipe but nada. So, chalking it up to a non working app. Also, my gmail wont sync automatically on clean rom 3.5 so I will probably remove this Rom.

Very strange, I am CleanROM 3.5 now and it works fine. Hmm.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

Use clean rom vzw edition. That's what I'm on right now

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs