12-23-2013 05:40 PM
28 12
tools
    Ok now I got my new phone and getting it setup again......

Is there a way to stop the phone from checking for OTA updates? Haven't seen it prompt me yet to update but just in case I want to make sure I remove any chance I might hit update by chance.
    01-20-2013 04:47 PM
    Ok now I got my new phone and getting it setup again......

Is there a way to stop the phone from checking for OTA updates? Haven't seen it prompt me yet to update but just in case I want to make sure I remove any chance I might hit update by chance.
    You need to freeze/rename:
    SDM.apk
    FWupdate.apk
    Keychain.apk

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    Josh Anderson likes this.
    01-20-2013 05:06 PM
    Thanks DroidXcon!

Odd can't find them in System/App

Wonder if Beans rom already has them removed.
    01-20-2013 05:09 PM
    Custom ROMs aren't compatible with the official OTA updates
    01-20-2013 05:30 PM
    Custom ROMs aren't compatible with the official OTA updates
    Good
    01-20-2013 05:31 PM
    Thanks DroidXcon!

Odd can't find them in System/App

Wonder if Beans rom already has them removed.
    He couldn't remove it if he wanted to. What file manager are you using

01-20-2013 05:41 PM
    Root Explorer
    01-20-2013 05:49 PM
    Root Explorer
    Can you give me a screen shot of what you see under system directory

01-20-2013 06:05 PM
    01-20-2013 06:13 PM
    First folder that says "app"

Edit. Oh I thought you couldn't find the directory. ... those apps are not there and you are still getting update warning?

01-20-2013 06:19 PM
    First folder that says "app"

Edit. Oh I thought you couldn't find the directory. ... those apps are not there and you are still getting update warning?

The apps are not in the system/app directory. Not getting update warning so guess I"m good
    01-20-2013 06:26 PM
    Good.
    01-20-2013 06:33 PM
    SDM.apk
    FWupdate.apk
    Keychain.apk

Would that be the same for my moto photon q? If not where would I find it the photon forum is dead....
    01-20-2013 06:42 PM
    Would that be the same for my moto photon q? If not where would I find it the photon forum is dead....
    Not the same . Try to find updater.apk

whymista likes this.
    01-20-2013 07:18 PM
    Hello DROIDXcon, re: your reply, I'm using the Verizon - Samsung Galaxy note 2. I found all the files you mention in your post, however it don't seem to allow me to rename them. I have rooted and have the TWRP recovery. I am using esfile explorer and I accepted the su permissions. Again I click rename but it doesn't seem to take. Also, next to each file there is an odex file with the same name. Should I rename those first.

I hate to just delete since you can't get them back. Since I'm a noob and hate to have a $800 paper weight, I felt it necessary to clear it up lol.

Thank you in advance
    Cal
    01-25-2013 07:11 PM
    You should just be able to freeze them with something like mybackup or a rom toolkit
    fishndad likes this.
    01-25-2013 07:16 PM
    Hello DROIDXcon, re: your reply, I'm using the Verizon - Samsung Galaxy note 2. I found all the files you mention in your post, however it don't seem to allow me to rename them. I have rooted and have the TWRP recovery. I am using esfile explorer and I accepted the su permissions. Again I click rename but it doesn't seem to take. Also, next to each file there is an odex file with the same name. Should I rename those first.

I hate to just delete since you can't get them back. Since I'm a noob and hate to have a $800 paper weight, I felt it necessary to clear it up lol.

Thank you in advance
    Cal
    Open ES explorer then hit menu button. Scroll down to root settings and select. Then check off the first two boxes. Then you should be able to change files.

Rename .odex to something like .bak1 doesn't matter which one you change. Infact I don't think you need to change it at all.

Always have a backup ready from TWRP as a general rule aswell

fishndad likes this.
    01-25-2013 07:49 PM
    I dont see an FWupdate.apk, I do however see an FWupgrade.apk and .odex. Should i rename the FWupgrade.apk? And Thanks for all the Kick Butt help.
    SDM.apk
    FWupdate.apk
    Keychain.apk

01-28-2013 08:14 AM
    Assuming you are rooted, install Titanium Backup and then you can simply find the app listed there in alphabetical order and freeze it.
    I am running Jelly Bean Domination 13.0 and have been getting update requests about every two hours and ignoring them but they keep coming back.

I went in to Titanium Bkup and froze System Update 1.4.34 and Key Chain 4.11. So far, so good.
    03-21-2013 09:09 AM
    I dont see an FWupdate.apk, I do however see an FWupgrade.apk and .odex. Should i rename the FWupgrade.apk? And Thanks for all the Kick Butt help.
    Yeah

03-21-2013 10:01 AM
    Hey I know you have samsung, but you can do this with an evo, and i believe stock can do it too:

1)You get the little ota alert in your notification center,so you tap it to see what it brings, DO NOT TAP OK, just simply press back to get out of it.
    2)next go into settings, system updates, then HTC SOFTWARE UPDATE, or your devices respective manufacturer, and uncheck the "check automatically" box
    3) make sure your phone is unplugged from any computer or outlet, then power off phone.
    4) remove battery
    5) poweron phone, then quickly turn of internet as it botts, (preferably from the lock screen)
    6) the ota alert should still be there. poweroff and reboot phone.
    7) remove battery again, fro 10 seconds, then place in and boot up,
    8) the alert in the pull down menu should now be gone.
    9) ENJOY!!!
    06-10-2013 09:27 AM
    Hello-

I am Rooted on a Galaxy S3 (AT&T) running 4.1.1. I can't locate the main apps to be frozen in order to block auto OTA updates? I can find then via ES File Explorer but not sure how to freeze them since I can't locate the files within Titanium? Please help.

Thank you!
    06-20-2013 09:55 AM
    Hello-

I am Rooted on a Galaxy S3 (AT&T) running 4.1.1. I can't locate the main apps to be frozen in order to block auto OTA updates? I can find then via ES File Explorer but not sure how to freeze them since I can't locate the files within Titanium? Please help.

Thank you!
    Try long pressing (or similar method) on the specific files in ES File Explorer to see if it shows file details or some other clue that will reveal the file path or other information that you could then feed into a Titanium Backup search. Another option to consider is going with Root Explorer. Given you're rooted its a great app to have, and can reveal the apk location among many other things.

I searched for "keychain", without quotes, and Root Explorer returned the following: /system/app/KeyChain.apk
    06-20-2013 07:47 PM
    SDM.apk
    FWupdate.apk
    Keychain.apk

Hello, OK I'm a newbie on here I admit it I just got the S4 from VZW and while I don't want to root it yet, I'd like to know what I app specifically I can d/l that will allow me to freeze those system files so that I can then rename them (hopefully a freebie). The phone is bugging me to do the update, but I don't want to right now I cancel or kill my connection or switch to airplane mode but sooner or later it's going to get me for sure.

Thanks!
    07-19-2013 04:42 PM
    Hello-

Thank you!
    Since your rooted go into /etc/security and rename otacerts.zip to otacerts.bak. Then reboot and wipe your cache, as that's where they are stored. That should stop both the update notification and keep you from receiving anymore.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    imdarztoy likes this.
    07-19-2013 07:37 PM
28 12