What is the difference between Rooting and Unlocking Bootloader??

One_Angry_Panda

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty new to this so bear with me! I've begun doing some research into setting my phone free from the limitations Verizon has put on it. I have a few questions though.

1) What is the difference between rooting the phone and unlocking the bootloader. Are they the same?

2) Is it important to do one before the other? Also should I do both?

3) What has everyone used to backup their Note 2 prior to trying any of this?

4) Once rooted/unlocked is all the data on device (apps, contacts, pic, vids, email accts, etc) still there?

5) What ROM is preferred and again will all my stuff be there still?

6) What is the stability like of having these things done to the phone?

I would like to be able to have the full functionality of my phone. I'm pretty ticked that I only have stock apps for multiview where my boss' Note 2 has all the ones I want (Gmail, Youtube, Fb etc). I also have Unlimited data and would like the HotSpot feature.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!! :cool:

Last edited:

crl95

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty new to this so bear with me! I've begun doing some research into setting my phone free from the limitations Verizon has put on it. I have a few questions though.

1) What is the difference between rooting the phone and unlocking the bootloader. Are they the same?

2) Is it important to do one before the other? Also should I do both?

3) What has everyone used to backup their Note 2 prior to trying any of this?

4) Once rooted/unlocked is all the data on device (apps, contacts, pic, vids, email accts, etc) still there?

5) What ROM is preferred and again will all my stuff be there still?

6) What is the stability like of having these things done to the phone?

I would like to be able to have the full functionality of my phone. I'm pretty ticked that I only have stock apps for multiview where my boss' Note 2 has all the ones I want (Gmail, Youtube, Fb etc). I also have Unlimited data and would like the HotSpot feature.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!! :cool:
1) In short rooting lets you mess with software already installed on your phone while unlocking will let you put on different software and ROMs

2) When you unlock your phone it will root it at the same time.

3/4) Unlocking will not change anything on your phone so no need to backup before...at least I didnt, and once you are unlocked you make whats called a nandroid backup. I will link my thread with a video explaining what that is and how it works at the bottom.

5) For stability start out with jelly beans ROM

6) With jelly beans my phone is actually more stable then full stock.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-note-2-rooting-roms-hacks/248179-what-do-after-you-unlocked-rooted-noobs-video-tutorials.html

crl95

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info! Looks like I've found my plans for the night.

It also actually possible to return everything to stock correct?

Yes it is possible but I dout you will want to! PM if you want me to help walk you threw anything or feel free to ask on here with any more questions but make sure to quote me so I get a notification and see to answer you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007