Hey guys. I've never rooted a phone yet seriously considering it on my sch-i605.

Anybody brick theirs? Seems a number of ways to do it, just want to do it correctly. Thanks in advance for the help. Matt

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    02-11-2013 12:47 PM
    If your on the OTA use Adam's updated jailbreak over at XDA. Its simple to use as long as you follow the directions they also have videos on how to do it.
    02-11-2013 02:49 PM
    Thanks buddy.

02-11-2013 03:01 PM
    At this point, my best advise is.............Backup backup backup, as soon as you can. Not that anything will go wrong, but it could and if you have gotten recovery on your device you can at least get back to where you started. There are quite a few good roms now too. Clean rom, beans and of course cyanogen. Just depends on your tastes. Have fun!
    02-11-2013 04:27 PM
    If your on the OTA use Adam's updated jailbreak over at XDA. Its simple to use as long as you follow the directions they also have videos on how to do it.
    Do you have a link to this? How do you know if you have this update already? I'm assuming that I have it and want to make sure. The original way here to root and unlock will not work if you have this update and Im assuming possibly brick your phone? I just want to be absolutely sure of what Im doing before I start it and am using the right process!

I really appreciate all the hard work everyone has put into this!
    02-11-2013 07:25 PM
    Do you have a link to this? How do you know if you have this update already? I'm assuming that I have it and want to make sure. The original way here to root and unlock will not work if you have this update and Im assuming possibly brick your phone? I just want to be absolutely sure of what Im doing before I start it and am using the right process!

I really appreciate all the hard work everyone has put into this!
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2118348
    Jailbreak(bootloader unlock) / Root / TWRP Recovery -- Even after update [26JAN13]

This should work for both before and after update so no worries either way

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    02-11-2013 07:47 PM
    Thanks for all the help guys.

coming to u live from my Galaxy note 2
    02-17-2013 11:58 AM
    is it possible to get back to out of the box stock using the after the update method?

02-19-2013 10:59 AM
    Okay so I have a question about adams jailbreak. Will the ota updates still work? Will they take root off once ota is done???

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    02-22-2013 11:14 PM
    Okay so I have a question about adams jailbreak. Will the ota updates still work? Will they take root off once ota is done???

If you unlock and leave it stock then yes it will update but after the update it will re lock your bootloader and you may lose root and may not be able to root again until someone finds another root method.

I would just root and unlock and not update until a rooting method is available for whatever the update is to.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    02-22-2013 11:40 PM
    What ever happened to ota root keeper?

02-23-2013 12:12 AM
    02-23-2013 12:15 AM
    That won't work if they sneak a new bootloader in there. Seems silly to even consider an ota after rooting. Developers will be on top of it and put out a rooted version of it or update a custom rom with it.

02-23-2013 12:20 AM
    Idk how to do rooms. I've only ever rooted. That was my Droid pro. And my galaxy lll

02-23-2013 12:25 AM
    Jailbreak(bootloader unlock) / Root / TWRP Recovery -- Even after update [26JAN13] - xda-developers
    Jailbreak(bootloader unlock) / Root / TWRP Recovery -- Even after update [26JAN13]

This should work for both before and after update so no worries either way
    He actually asked just about rooting, not unlocking the bootloader as well. Could he not just flash the root66 ROM file via Odin to gain root while retaining the stock bootloader?
    02-23-2013 12:58 AM
    How do you know if you have this update already?
    In Settings->About Phone check the Baseband entry. If it's "I605VRALJB" then it's pre-OTA. If it's "I605VRALL4" then it's post-OTA.
    02-23-2013 01:02 AM
    Its post. Vrall4
    But if its rooted and bootloader on. I want to maintain the ability to update and keep rooted and still be able to freeze and delete then unused apps

02-23-2013 01:46 PM
    deleted by universeand
    02-23-2013 02:52 PM
    Its post. Vrall4
    But if its rooted and bootloader on. I want to maintain the ability to update and keep rooted and still be able to freeze and delete then unused apps
    If you have used Adam Outler's jailbreak to gain root and unlock your bootloader you do not want any future OTA from Verizon to run even if you have a program like Voodoo Rootkeeper. The OTA will conflict with the unlocked bootloader. Since you still have the stock VRALL4 ROM the OTA will try to run. You can and should as soon s possible stop the OTA from running by freezing the SDM 1.0 app with a program like Titanium backup at the Playstore. You could also rename the .apk which I forget the the name of right now.

If you have root access but you have a stock ROM and your bootloader is still locked you should be able to let a future Verizon OTA run and save your root by using a program like Voodoo Rootkeeper.
    02-23-2013 02:53 PM
    So root give you access to making it faster and such.

Bootloader lets you freeze and delete unwanted apps.

Adam outlers jailbreak is both?

How do I just do a root?

02-23-2013 03:57 PM
    So root give you access to making it faster and such.

Bootloader lets you freeze and delete unwanted apps.

Adam outlers jailbreak is both?

How do I just do a root?
    Root mostly gives you more control over your phone in different ways. With a program like Titanium Backup [Tibu] you can do things like: 1) back up all user data 2) back different versions of applications and 3) freeze/stop the operation apps. You can modify any file including the important configuration file 'features.xml. Also many apps you put on your phone have more features when you have root rights. You need root to unlock the bootloader (see below). You may be able to make your phone faster with root control but the overall point of root access is to have more control and enable more features of your phone and the applications running on it.

Unlocking the bootloader which goes along with installing a new recovery program like CWM or TWRP allows you to: 1) install a custom ROM to replace the stock one, 2) make a change to the stock ROM, 3) make more changes to a custom ROM, or 4) replace or modify the Android operating system kernal. You should normally install/flash custom ROMs, mods, or kernals from CWM or TWRP.

You need root to unlock the bootloader and getting root access (and going back to VRALJB) is the first step in Adam Outler's (actually Adam & Raledev's) jailbreak for both pre and post OTA phones. His second step is to unlock the bootloader and install TWRP. (There is a stock recovery already on the phone you can get to by powering off then holding Volume up+Home+Power at the same time. Just looking around be sure to only press the power button on 'reboot system now' to exit. That software is replaced by TWRP so you can flash custom ROMs).

I'm not positive on the best way to get just root without unlocking the bootloader for VRALL4. I got root when the stock ROM was still VRALB. But it looks like if you just did step 1 of Adam's method then you would have root and the bootloader would remain unlocked. If you want to go ahead and unlock your bootloader perform the second step of Adam's method. Even then you don't have to flash a custom ROM or any other mod if you don't want to. However unlocking the boot loader is typically more risky than just getting root. Keep in mind that for warranty purposes I've seen Verizon Note 2 rooting and custom ROMs undone, but I yet to read where the bootloader was relocked. But from what I've read it's hard for the Verizon store to know that a bootloader is unlocked if the stock ROM has been restored and root is undone.

Here's the url for Adam's method: Jailbreak(bootloader unlock) / Root / TWRP Recovery -- Even after update [26JAN13] - xda-developers

You'll see in the post how Adam refers to flashing two different files: 'BAV Baseline' and 'Back Atcha Verizon Bootloader'. If you just want root with stock ROM, stock recovery and a still have a locked bootloader you would stop after flashing the BAV Basline in Odin. You'll be back on stock VRALJB. Whether or not you stop after step 1 or step 2, I would immediately install Tibu and freeze SDM 1.0 so that you don't get any Verizon OTA. I would also install the Exynos Abuse exploit by Chainfire to patch the security problem with VRALJB. The exploit can root VRALJB, which you would already would have at that point, but the exploit also can patch the security issue with VRALJB.

Fyi: Odin is a tool used to flash stock ROMs. It should only be used to flash stock rooted or unrooted ROMs. Adam shows where to pick up Odin. The YouTube video 'Verizon Galaxy Note 2 VRALL4 OTA ROOT, Bootloader Unlock, Recovery Guide' by DroidModderX in Adam's post demonstrates how to flash Adam's files using Odin. (You can get to Odin download mode on the phone to see what it looks like by powering off then simultaneously holding Volume down+Home+Power. After you get the warning screen hit Volume up. Exit by holding the power key. Since you won't have Odin on your PC running with a file loaded you can't hurt anything.).

Let us know how it goes. Enjoy your phone whatever you chose!
    02-23-2013 06:58 PM