Hi,

I used Casual to root and Unlock the bootloader. I've rooted many phones before but am finding this one to be more difficult in actually being able to understand the steps. So I want to install a custom rom Beans 11 before VZW pushes out another update. I'm hung up because it says to install clockwordmod recovery on the sd card to start....but I'm assuming that will be a problem since apps can't install on the sd card unless you do some more hacking??? Am i confused? I can restart the phone in twrp as well, but I'm still stuck at the installing backup/custom rom step because I am thinking I need to be able to place cwm on the sd card or other things. since I haven't done the apps to sd card hack(which seems complicated), I'll end up bricking my phone. I watched a video, but it didn't address this question.

Could someone help me through the next steps...heading out the door to buy a new microsd card as I don't think my note came with one

Thanks,

Jen
    03-17-2013 02:09 PM
    do you prefer to have cwm over twrp? I've ran 4 or 5 different roms and all did good with twrp. this phone came with the expandable slot for a micro sd, just no card, i bought a sandisk 32gb class10 for mine though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    03-18-2013 11:56 AM
    Hi,

I used Casual to root and Unlock the bootloader. I've rooted many phones before but am finding this one to be more difficult in actually being able to understand the steps. So I want to install a custom rom Beans 11 before VZW pushes out another update. I'm hung up because it says to install clockwordmod recovery on the sd card to start....but I'm assuming that will be a problem since apps can't install on the sd card unless you do some more hacking??? Am i confused? I can restart the phone in twrp as well, but I'm still stuck at the installing backup/custom rom step because I am thinking I need to be able to place cwm on the sd card or other things. since I haven't done the apps to sd card hack(which seems complicated), I'll end up bricking my phone. I watched a video, but it didn't address this question.

Could someone help me through the next steps...heading out the door to buy a new microsd card as I don't think my note came with one

Thanks,

Jen
    When rooting/romming, SD Card usually refers to the internal SD Card/Memory of the phone. Not the external microSD Card. Typically you want to place the zip file for a ROM or anything else you want to flash on the internal "SDCard", otherwise known as the phone's built-in, internal memory. No external SDCard is required.

As far as which recovery to use, TWRP seems to work fine for almost everything you will flash, however, make sure you read the dev's instructions for the ROM. Some of them require you use one recovery over the other, and if you use a different one then what they tell you to use, you could run into some problems.
    03-18-2013 12:19 PM