Anyone using CM 9?

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I haven't broken down and rooted my Note2 yet. I was running CM7 on my old Thunderbolt. Has anyone been using the CM9 nightlies on their Note?

I held off rooting and ROMing at first because of Touch wiz S Pen features, but over time I've realized I don't use the S pen much and definitely not the touch wiz gimmicks.

Thoughts on CM for Note? Or is there a better ROMing I should try?

Thanks.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I ran AOKP on my Note for about a day, and it was pretty awesome of course, but I like TouchWiz ROMS that keep the stock s-pen and multi-view features intact. Of all the AOSP ROMS available for the GNOTE, I really like AOKP, Carbon ROM and ParanoidAndroid (all of which I have used extensively on my gnex). A quick glance at the GNOTE section over at XDA and I see 8 different AOSP ROMS, including CM10. You may want to read through some or all of those threads to see what appeals or does not appeal to you, everybody will have a different opinion on what is "better". Good luck!

itsdollar

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The Jelly Beans ROM is actually pretty good for a TouchWiz rom. Themed like AOSP but keeps S-pen functionality. I tried it for a quick run and haven't tried another ROM since then. I know you mentioned you don't use the S-pen much but this ROM is worth a try,

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
The Jelly Beans ROM is actually pretty good for a TouchWiz rom. Themed like AOSP but keeps S-pen functionality. I tried it for a quick run and haven't tried another ROM since then. I know you mentioned you don't use the S-pen much but this ROM is worth a try,

That's the ROM I've been using almost exclusively, it has been rock solid.

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Have you decided what you are going to do? Just curious.

Not yet, I started another thread asking about encryption and if I need to decrypt and all before unlocking my bootloader and rooting. That will play a small part in my decision.

A bigger part of my decision is just whether I want to deal with the hassle of resetting everything up after wiping my phone. I use Google Authenticator for 4 different accounts. I'm thinking to re-set that up I need to turn off 2-step for each account before wiping and then turn it back on with the new ROM? Does anyone else deal with that?

I definitely enjoyed using new ROMs and the benefits of having root access when I had my Thunderbolt, but right now I'm wondering if I want to go through the effort. I do miss certain root tasks I could do with Tasker and other apps.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Not yet, I started another thread asking about encryption and if I need to decrypt and all before unlocking my bootloader and rooting. That will play a small part in my decision.

A bigger part of my decision is just whether I want to deal with the hassle of resetting everything up after wiping my phone. I use Google Authenticator for 4 different accounts. I'm thinking to re-set that up I need to turn off 2-step for each account before wiping and then turn it back on with the new ROM? Does anyone else deal with that?

I definitely enjoyed using new ROMs and the benefits of having root access when I had my Thunderbolt, but right now I'm wondering if I want to go through the effort. I do miss certain root tasks I could do with Tasker and other apps.

I don't use any of that, but my guess is that just simply unlocking and rooting will not require decryption or resetting Google Authenticator. Flashing a ROM, that's a different story because you will have to wipe your system completely. But I have no experience with Google Authenticator, so don't take my word on that one!

I will say this phone is certainly fantastic stock, maybe with a third party launcher on top for some additional customizations. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21