09-28-2013 07:41 PM
158 1234 ...
tools
    Thanks! I think you nailed my issue and I will try how you described. I swear, I am a software engineer and have flashed a number of ROMS on various Android devices, but I still feel like I am such a beginner, ugh! I *think* I used the Factory Reset option with TWRP instead of System wipe, and I guess I ASSuMEd that flashing the stock rooted ROM would get me back to rooted stock (and wipe the ROM I was on). I will let you know how it goes, but it will probably be tonight before I can get to it. Thanks again!
    My best guess is the system wipe was the issue. You don't need to flash a stock ROM when jumping from one ROM to another. The system wipe usually will take care of everything, in addition to the other 3 wipes. Good luck!
    04-23-2013 09:50 AM
    My best guess is the system wipe was the issue. You don't need to flash a stock ROM when jumping from one ROM to another. The system wipe usually will take care of everything, in addition to the other 3 wipes. Good luck!
    I was totally unaware of that (just having to system wipe to switch ROMs). I guess that is from not knowing the difference between Factory Reset and System wipe on TWRP. I just tried what you said (the System wipe was shockingly fast. Is it supposed to take a while?). I reset my phone and the animated Jelly Beans start up screen is still going, so I may have just downloaded a corrupt/incomplete file. Guess I will have to take care of that tonight when I am at home. Does the animated screen take a while the first time after installing the ROM?

Thanks again!
    04-23-2013 09:59 AM
    I was totally unaware of that (just having to system wipe to switch ROMs). I guess that is from not knowing the difference between Factory Reset and System wipe on TWRP. I just tried what you said (the System wipe was shockingly fast. Is it supposed to take a while?). I reset my phone and the animated Jelly Beans start up screen is still going, so I may have just downloaded a corrupt/incomplete file. Guess I will have to take care of that tonight when I am at home. Does the animated screen take a while the first time after installing the ROM?

Thanks again!
    Just to be clear, cause I don't want to give you bad info...when switching from one ROM to another ROM, like from CleanROM to JELLYBEANS ROM, you need to wipe all 4 in TWRP:cache, dalvik, factory reset, system. You can't just wipe system and switch ROMs. When flashing a new build of the same ROM you are already running, like going from BEANS Build 13 to build 14, you can simply wipe cache and dalvik cache, then flash the new build. That's what they call a "dirty flash". 99% of the time the dirty flash works going from one version/build to another. Occasionally you may run into issues, but very rarely. You probably know all this, I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess you up!

So back to your flashing ...the animated boot up screen can take up to 5 minutes or more if this is a new ROM on your device. If you get stuck in the bootloop, you most likely have either a bad ROM file, or messed up in the flashing sequence in TWRP recovery. As long as you are familiar with what you are doing, its not a big deal. You can get back to a previous ROM and start over.
    JKforUA and mobius99 like this.
    04-23-2013 10:10 AM
    Just to be clear, cause I don't want to give you bad info...when switching from one ROM to another ROM, like from CleanROM to JELLYBEANS ROM, you need to wipe all 4 in TWRP:cache, dalvik, factory reset, system. You can't just wipe system and switch ROMs. When flashing a new build of the same ROM you are already running, like going from BEANS Build 13 to build 14, you can simply wipe cache and dalvik cache, then flash the new build. That's what they call a "dirty flash". 99% of the time the dirty flash works going from one version/build to another. Occasionally you may run into issues, but very rarely. You probably know all this, I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess you up!

So back to your flashing ...the animated boot up screen can take up to 5 minutes or more if this is a new ROM on your device. If you get stuck in the bootloop, you most likely have either a bad ROM file, or messed up in the flashing sequence in TWRP recovery. As long as you are familiar with what you are doing, its not a big deal. You can get back to a previous ROM and start over.
    Yeah, I understood what you were saying I did already know this, which is why I had factory reset and flashed a rooted ROM (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head). I just didn't use the System wipe because I thought the Factory wipe took care of al lof that. And I know what dirty flashing is and have done that a few times (like when I want to try different options for whatever ROM I have.

The animated boot up was taking longer than five minutes (which made me think that I had a bad file...) but it finally booted up! Thank you again so much for your help! Perhaps I am a little too ambitious with this flashing business since I didn't know what the TWRP options truly meant
    lpt2569 likes this.
    04-23-2013 10:30 AM
    but it finally booted up!
    Awesome! Enjoy.
    JKforUA likes this.
    04-23-2013 10:36 AM
    Awesome! Enjoy.
    Yeah, I'm guessing I won't be getting a lot of work done today at work
    lpt2569 likes this.
    04-23-2013 10:39 AM
    Anyone having problems with sd card swap after build 14?It won't let me do sd swap??
    04-24-2013 09:44 AM
    Anyone having problems with sd card swap after build 14?It won't let me do sd swap??
    I don't use that feature. I know it's an option in Aroma Installer, I assume you picked the swap option in the Aroma process? Maybe check the ROM developer's thread, see if others are having the same issue and if yes, any solutions offered.
    04-24-2013 10:04 AM
    I recently rooted my phone and loaded this rom. Currently on build 13 haven't installed build 14 yet. Ever since my battery has gotten worse Not necessarily bad but not as good as it was not rooted. Any body else having issues with the battery life.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    04-24-2013 08:07 PM
    Ok finally after about the 6 or 7th reflash it did the sd card swap.. Don't know what was up with that..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    lpt2569 likes this.
    04-24-2013 11:17 PM
    A little late but I have the memory swap and it works great. I had it with 12 and dirty flashed 13 then 14. You do have to make sure you check it during the setup each time (it it unchecked by default). Glad you got it working.

Battery life depends on the kernal you choose. I noticed my battery life is less with the stock beans kernal but how much of that is just me using the phone more I don't know.
    04-25-2013 01:51 AM
    So just a short 2 weeks after my return to Android on a Note 2, I have decided to root, and would like to flash the Beans Rom. With the current one click option for the Root, that seems pretty easy and straight forward. Where I get a bit fuzzy/can't find directions is how to flash the new Rom once I have root? Do I just drop the file into the Phone memory and use TWRP to flash it? Or do I need a program on my PC to flash it? I tried searching, but was not able to find a real clear answer.
    04-25-2013 02:11 AM
    So just a short 2 weeks after my return to Android on a Note 2, I have decided to root, and would like to flash the Beans Rom. With the current one click option for the Root, that seems pretty easy and straight forward. Where I get a bit fuzzy/can't find directions is how to flash the new Rom once I have root? Do I just drop the file into the Phone memory and use TWRP to flash it? Or do I need a program on my PC to flash it? I tried searching, but was not able to find a real clear answer.
    Once you are unlocked, rooted and have custom recovery, you can place the ROM zip on your phone's internal memory (not sd card). In TWRP recovery wipe cache, dalvik cache, factory reset and system wipe. Flash the ROM zip and reboot.

Sent from my SCH-I605
    Disturbed_Angel likes this.
    04-25-2013 05:56 AM
    Awesome, those are exactly the kind of directions I needed, Thanks.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2
    lpt2569 likes this.
    04-25-2013 09:26 AM
    Anyone having an issue with their Alarm? It will only go off once and then if you hit snooze its as if it turns the alarm of instead.
    04-25-2013 09:50 AM
    Awesome, those are exactly the kind of directions I needed, Thanks.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2
    No problem. BEANS ROM uses what's called "Aroma Installer". It walks you through the different options you can pick from when flashing the ROM. I suggest using the stock BEANS Kernel, and stay away from the SD Card swap for now. Once you get comfortable with Android and flashing ROMS, etc, you can re-flash the ROM, and make different selections in Aroma Installer to best suit your wants/needs.
    04-25-2013 09:55 AM
    Anyone having an issue with their Alarm? It will only go off once and then if you hit snooze its as if it turns the alarm of instead.
    I don't use the alarm, sorry. I assume you walked through all the settings to make sure nothing changed for some reason. Maybe when you flashed the ROM (I assume you are using BEANS ROM), it returned the settings back to default settings? Just thinking out loud.
    04-25-2013 09:58 AM
    I looked through it and it doesn't appear to have changed anything. I'm running Beans14. Eh...It's only my work alarm. lol

I don't use the alarm, sorry. I assume you walked through all the settings to make sure nothing changed for some reason. Maybe when you flashed the ROM (I assume you are using BEANS ROM), it returned the settings back to default settings? Just thinking out loud.
    04-25-2013 10:00 AM
    Thanks again so much for the help. I am offically running a Rooted Note 2 with the Jelly Beans ROM. Now to set up. I did a titanium backup, but I am not sure if I really want to use that, as it backed up a lot of bloat apps that are not in this build, and I don't really want to add them back in.
    lpt2569 likes this.
    04-25-2013 04:42 PM
    Thanks again so much for the help. I am offically running a Rooted Note 2 with the Jelly Beans ROM. Now to set up. I did a titanium backup, but I am not sure if I really want to use that, as it backed up a lot of bloat apps that are not in this build, and I don't really want to add them back in.
    That's the beauty of rooting and using TIBU...you can pick and choose exactly what ends up on your device.

Sent from my SCH-I605
    04-25-2013 06:18 PM
    One thing I noticed when I flashed build 14 (came from build 13, running Saber kernel v17) - the updated v19 saber kernel gave me shorter battery life, as well as slowed down my phone (measured via Antutu and Quadrant Standard). For that reason alone, I re-flashed v13 of Beans ROM.

Something else I noticed on v14 that I didn't get a chance to play with - the menu for the blocking options changed significantly from the previous versions. Can someone verify if the new blocking setting options are actually functional in v14? IIRC, none of the message blocking functionality worked in the previous versions.
    04-25-2013 07:01 PM
    Anyone messed around with PIE controls? All the pics I've seen it's just in landscape..If you have can you post screen shots??Thanks
    04-27-2013 06:54 PM
    Anyone messed around with PIE controls? All the pics I've seen it's just in landscape..If you have can you post screen shots??Thanks
    Something like this?

Sent from my SCH-I605
    Attached Thumbnails JellyBeans ROM-uploadfromtaptalk1367107674820.jpg  
    mobius99 likes this.
    04-27-2013 07:07 PM
    Just started messing with pie, very cool. I've been using wave launcher and like this in conjunction with that.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 rockin Beans 13 using Tapatalk 2
    lpt2569 and mobius99 like this.
    04-28-2013 05:26 PM
    How do you dirty install build 14?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    05-04-2013 05:51 AM
158 1234 ...