So - I foolishly followed a website that gave instructions on rooting, without a warning about unlocking the bootloader. I rooted the phone, no problem there, and then tried flashing TWRP recovery. And that is where it all broke down. I got the Verizon triangle of doom, telling me unauthorized software. So ok, I restored by using the stock ROM. But wait! It did not work, because it would constantly fail in Odin when it got to sboot.bin! The workaround I found was to use imnuts alternate rom which leaves the bootloader alone (does not do anything with sboot.bin). However, I cannot do anything in ODIN which requires a bootloader file - I tried using casual to root/unlock, but I get a mean message of:
    "HellNo
    IMPROPER BOOTLOADER VERSION DETECTED. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS NOOB! GUYS LIKE YOU ARE THE REASON DEVELOPERS HAVE SO MUCH PROBLEMS!!!!!! DO YOU REALIZE WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE SOMETHING LIKE THIS COME TOGETHER?? AND HERE YOU ARE JUST TRYING TO SCREW THINGS UP.... DAMNIT! GET OFF THE INTERNET! "

And while I agree with the message, if anyone has a method of restoring stock recovery, and stock bootloader, that would be amazing. Thanks!
    04-15-2013 04:29 PM
    Flash stock rooted file found here

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=232525
    [How to][VZW GNote2] Root/Rom via Odin w/video

This should get you running again
    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    04-15-2013 04:36 PM
    So - I foolishly followed a website that gave instructions on rooting, without a warning about unlocking the bootloader. I rooted the phone, no problem there, and then tried flashing TWRP recovery. And that is where it all broke down. I got the Verizon triangle of doom, telling me unauthorized software. So ok, I restored by using the stock ROM. But wait! It did not work, because it would constantly fail in Odin when it got to sboot.bin! The workaround I found was to use imnuts alternate rom which leaves the bootloader alone (does not do anything with sboot.bin). However, I cannot do anything in ODIN which requires a bootloader file - I tried using casual to root/unlock, but I get a mean message of:
    "HellNo
    IMPROPER BOOTLOADER VERSION DETECTED. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS NOOB! GUYS LIKE YOU ARE THE REASON DEVELOPERS HAVE SO MUCH PROBLEMS!!!!!! DO YOU REALIZE WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE SOMETHING LIKE THIS COME TOGETHER?? AND HERE YOU ARE JUST TRYING TO SCREW THINGS UP.... DAMNIT! GET OFF THE INTERNET! "

And while I agree with the message, if anyone has a method of restoring stock recovery, and stock bootloader, that would be amazing. Thanks!
    Sorry I didn't read the whole thing through. .. Are you using the new versions of casual found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2118348
    [Jailbreak][Root][Recovery] CASUAL One-Click -- update 17MAR13:Windows/Linux
    ?

pendraggon87 likes this.
    04-15-2013 04:41 PM
    So I downloaded the stock rooted image (first link). However, something is effed up with the bootloader (in that, trying to run Casual to unlock it, I get the error. If I try using the Casual bootloader package for Odin, it fails at sboot.bin (in fact, everything fails at sboot.bin if that exists). So while having root is nice, my recovery is messed up (in that it does not boot to any recovery) and I cannot flash a rom.

Flash stock rooted file found here

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=232525
    [How to][VZW GNote2] Root/Rom via Odin w/video

This should get you running again
    EDIT: I am able to actually get into stock recovery. Please ignore that part. However, I still have bootloader issues (i.e. I want to unlock it so I can use custom ROMs).
    04-15-2013 04:44 PM
    So I downloaded the stock rooted image (first link). However, something is effed up with the bootloader (in that, trying to run Casual to unlock it, I get the error. If I try using the Casual bootloader package for Odin, it fails at sboot.bin (in fact, everything fails at sboot.bin if that exists). So while having root is nice, my recovery is messed up (in that it does not boot to any recovery) and I cannot flash a rom.

EDIT: I am able to actually get into stock recovery. Please ignore that part. However, I still have bootloader issues (i.e. I want to unlock it so I can use custom ROMs).
    If you can wait I can remotely try and unlock it for you if you are willing but I won't be able to do this until my bosses leave from work

pendraggon87 likes this.
    04-15-2013 04:49 PM
    Sorry I didn't read the whole thing through. .. Are you using the new versions of casual found here [Jailbreak][Root][Recovery] CASUAL One-Click -- update 17MAR13:Windows/Linux - xda-developers
    [Jailbreak][Root][Recovery] CASUAL One-Click -- update 17MAR13:Windows/Linux
    ?

*hugs* - I did not see R400! I just used it, and it apparently succeeded. However, what is a way for me to test this without bricking the phone? Try putting TWRP again and seeing if there is an error? The progress bar did not complete.
    04-15-2013 04:59 PM
    So the status bar is stuck near the end, it said upload of recovery and bootloader successful.

Ending session...
    Rebooting device...
    Releasing device interface...

waiting for device

and now it is just hanging.
    04-15-2013 05:08 PM
    *hugs* - I did not see R400! I just used it, and it apparently succeeded. However, what is a way for me to test this without bricking the phone? Try putting TWRP again and seeing if there is an error? The progress bar did not complete.
    If you succedded then TWRP is already installed , turn off your device and press and hold volume up+Home button then press and hold power, continue to hold all three until Team win log pops up
    04-15-2013 05:09 PM
    I rebooted the phone, and everything seems to be working awesomely now! It apparently boots into TWRP by default, but thats no biggy. yay! Now I can try some custom roms. Day well spent

- - - Updated - - -

If you succedded then TWRP is already installed , turn off your device and press and hold volume up+Home button then press and hold power, continue to hold all three until Team win log pops up
    One question I have is that - I have a message that there is an OTA update. Am I able to download those?
    04-15-2013 05:16 PM
    I rebooted the phone, and everything seems to be working awesomely now! It apparently boots into TWRP by default, but thats no biggy. yay! Now I can try some custom roms. Day well spent

- - - Updated - - -

One question I have is that - I have a message that there is an OTA update. Am I able to download those?
    I wouldnt bother especially if you are going to put a custom rom onto the device.
    04-15-2013 05:20 PM

- - - Updated - - -
    No you should not download an OTA (or apply the OTA if it's already downloaded). Use Titanium backup or a similar program to freeze/disable the update program SDM 1.0 as soon as possible (disabling from the Note 2 Settings Application Manager only works until you reboot). An OTA applied to a phone with a non-stock recovery like TWRP or CWM would almost certainly soft brick the phone. It would probably be pain to get out of. It might even hard brick the phone and then all you'd have is a paperweight. If you want the latest OTA features, either flash a custom rom like Bean's Jellybeans or flash a stock rooted rom that doesn't affect the bootloader like one of Bean's stock rooted roms. These roms have the latest OTAs in them. Both can be found in the Verizon Galxy Note 2 Android Development sub-forum at xda-developers.com.
    05-31-2013 07:27 PM
    I had the same problem. I unzipped the files took out sboot.bin and used Galaxy note toolkit to make a flashable file to use on odin and it worked for me. Here is the link to the toolkit http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1957720

Posted via Android Central App
    06-05-2013 05:04 AM
    I had the same problem. I unzipped the files took out sboot.bin and used Galaxy note toolkit to make a flashable file to use on odin and it worked for me. Here is the link to the toolkit [Galaxy Note2 TOOLKIT V4.1.0 TMOBILE] Drivers, Backup, Root, Recovery, Flash Stock - xda-developers

Posted via Android Central App
    Hi,
    would you mind telling me where the sboot.bin is located in the ROM? and how you took it out exactly?

thanks in advance
    06-06-2013 07:08 PM
    I was actually dumb enough to let my device install the OTA Update to 4.22 on my Nexus 7. I had just hours earlier flashed stock and unlocked the bootloader, unrooted. The problem is now I can't actually get into bootloader mode. I'm stuck on the update screen with the green android and the thing blue status bar. Using volume down/up and power only reboots the device to google logo (with unlock symbol) and then back to the eternal update install. Is there anyway I can fix this? I've also tried to reboot bootloader through the Toolkit, no luck.

Any help would be AWESOME! Thanks!
    06-22-2013 09:33 PM
    Sorry to hear that. Was going to suggest posting in the Nexus 7 forum to get more device specific help. Looks like you found the N7 forum. Hope it works out. http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...ml#post2874988
    06-22-2013 09:56 PM
    I was actually dumb enough to let my device install the OTA Update to 4.22 on my Nexus 7. I had just hours earlier flashed stock and unlocked the bootloader, unrooted. The problem is now I can't actually get into bootloader mode. I'm stuck on the update screen with the green android and the thing blue status bar. Using volume down/up and power only reboots the device to google logo (with unlock symbol) and then back to the eternal update install. Is there anyway I can fix this? I've also tried to reboot bootloader through the Toolkit, no luck. Any help would be AWESOME! Thanks!
    Have you pulled the battery?
    06-22-2013 10:18 PM
    Have you pulled the battery?
    It's my Nexus 7 tablet, I don't really know how to pop the back off. But I'll give it a whirl.
    06-22-2013 10:43 PM
    Battery pull didn't help, unfortunately.
    06-22-2013 11:11 PM