I've had my Note 2 for a few months now, it is unlocked and rooted and running CleanROM VZW SE 3.1. This was the first ROM I flashed after getting the device. Every week or so I head over to XDA to see if any new ROMS are out, and am disappointed when the list is essentially the same as last week. There hasn't been a leak for this device since I got it, all the ROMS seem to be based on a stock release of 4.1.2. So this isn't a huge deal, as my device runs smooth (the screen rotation issue is annoying), but I've been trained over the last few years to expect leaks and new ROMS built from those leaks and it isn't happening with the Note 2. It is kinda boring.
    07-03-2013 10:39 AM
    I'm far from well educated in how ROMs and the ROM scene work...I've come to understand Jelly Beans and CLEAN are the 2 main ROMs for the Note 2. I don't understand why there isn't a plain Android ROM, given how there's "Google versions" of the S4 and HTC One.

Granted I appreciate the flexibility a custom ROM has in being able to pull together great features from all the different skins of Android.
    07-03-2013 05:19 PM
    There are some non-TouchWiz custom ROMs out there. Going with these means loosing TouchWiz specific features.
    Verizon Galaxy Note 2 Development - RootzWiki has a good list
    07-03-2013 07:57 PM
    Thinking back to when I was first learning about rooting, unlocking boot loaders, and flashing custom ROMs I remembered that many of the ROM names are not immediately intuitive. I still consider myself to be in "padowan learner" mode even after going with custom ROMs on the S3 and now Note 2.

Verizon Galaxy Note II Android Development - xda-developers

In my experience it takes continual research and poking around the various ROM threads like the two I've listed in this thread. There are also many good YouTube reviews for the various ROMs that serve as another learning source.
    07-03-2013 08:59 PM
    I've had my Note 2 for a few months now, it is unlocked and rooted and running CleanROM VZW SE 3.1. This was the first ROM I flashed after getting the device. Every week or so I head over to XDA to see if any new ROMS are out, and am disappointed when the list is essentially the same as last week. There hasn't been a leak for this device since I got it, all the ROMS seem to be based on a stock release of 4.1.2. So this isn't a huge deal, as my device runs smooth (the screen rotation issue is annoying), but I've been trained over the last few years to expect leaks and new ROMS built from those leaks and it isn't happening with the Note 2. It is kinda boring.
    Over at XDA, I count 13 TouchWiz ROMS on the first page of that section, and 9 AOSP (non-TouchWiz) ROMs on the first page of that section. Seems like more than enough to me. Plus, you have to remember, this phone is not nearly as popular as the more mainstream devices like the S4 and the HTC One, and phone like the LG Nexus, etc. which are developer's favorites for the most part. And finally, this phone works really well without a custom ROM, I think that plays a big part in this as well. There is not much a developer can and will want to change to make this beast much better than it is out of the box.
    07-04-2013 11:29 AM
    Over at XDA, I count 13 TouchWiz ROMS on the first page of that section, and 9 AOSP (non-TouchWiz) ROMs on the first page of that section. Seems like more than enough to me. Plus, you have to remember, this phone is not nearly as popular as the more mainstream devices like the S4 and the HTC One, and phone like the LG Nexus, etc. which are developer's favorites for the most part. And finally, this phone works really well without a custom ROM, I think that plays a big part in this as well. There is not much a developer can and will want to change to make this beast much better than it is out of the box.
    Yep, 13 Touchwiz ROMs based off 4.1.2. For the record, 4.1.2 is what the phone ships with. I'm just saying that over the years I have been trained to look for ROMs based off of leaked updates every six months or so. With rumors of a Note 3 being announced on September 4, it is conceivable that the Note 2 will still have the same software it shipped with, when the next iteration of the device drops (leaked or otherwise). I think that would be a first.
    07-04-2013 02:30 PM
    Yep, 13 Touchwiz ROMs based off 4.1.2. For the record, 4.1.2 is what the phone ships with. I'm just saying that over the years I have been trained to look for ROMs based off of leaked updates every six months or so. With rumors of a Note 3 being announced on September 4, it is conceivable that the Note 2 will still have the same software it shipped with, when the next iteration of the device drops (leaked or otherwise). I think that would be a first.
    I hear ya. But honestly 4.2.2 is really nothing special. I have it on my N7 and GNex and there is nothing about 4.2.2 that makes me wish I had it on my Note. And the Note originally shipped with 4.1.1 when it was released so it has gotten an update.
    07-04-2013 02:55 PM
    Coming from the sg3 running a 4.2.2 aosp rom, the big thing I miss from 4.2.2 is lockscreen widgets. Being able to access several apps while still having an active pin for security was awesome. But since I've only been on the note2 for a week or so, I've stayed on a touchwiz rom (cleanrom 3.1 se) as I learn about the phone/s-pen/etc. May stick with tw and try meanbean next...

Would love to see a 4.2.2 touchwiz leak though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    07-07-2013 09:14 AM
    I'm running avatar rom on my note 2 it is a cross between miui and cyanogenmod 10.1 it's android version 4.2.2. there are more like illusion rom, and beanstown's jellybeans rom etc.
    08-04-2013 06:20 PM
    My primary phone is the HTC ONE...but I just picked up the Note 2 as a spare phone....I was really looking forward to flashing away on it, but it would seem that all of the things that make it so good, will be gone right? S-Pen Features and stuff? I just completed the root process and am enjoying the fact that I cleaned about 10% of the fat (bloatware) off of it. :-D
    10-27-2013 10:37 PM
    My primary phone is the HTC ONE...but I just picked up the Note 2 as a spare phone....I was really looking forward to flashing away on it, but it would seem that all of the things that make it so good, will be gone right? S-Pen Features and stuff? I just completed the root process and am enjoying the fact that I cleaned about 10% of the fat (bloatware) off of it. :-D
    you can flash a TW rom and lose nothing. such as beans,jedi,nephilim,jellybutter
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    10-31-2013 10:50 AM
    Why note 2 don't have new version update. We wait long time Nothing yet ?????

Posted via Android Central App
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    11-07-2013 12:27 AM
    I am also using the Avatar rom (version 4.2.2) and it is very stable. Nothing flashy, but not bad at all. I'm also looking at the DN3 mod, which I heard was awesome. The problem with the Avatar rom is that it is nothing special. I also tried the AOSP (4.3), but it was to unstable. I tried the slim rom and that was a total waste of time, nothing great there.
    04-29-2014 09:01 PM