Would you pay 699 for the note 2

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Okay, thanks. I'll just buy full price and skip that fee.

I went to the Verizon website to pre-order, I really just wanted to see the total price.
Without making any changes to my plan and adding a case, the total price was $770.

I couldn't make myself click submit.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I am planning on buying the N2 at full retail as well as this is my first android device. I used my upgrade for the iphone 5 and am bored. I will sell the iphone for $700-$850 as they are on ebay and then buy the Note2 with an additional $100 gift card. I am anticipating the phone. Hope its released soon!!

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I preordered and paid $750 with tax/fees for the Note 2, so I could keep my Unlimited data

Can't wait for it to arrive!!!!!

I got charged the fee even though I paid full price.

You got boned. How do they justify the "upgrade fee" when you paid full price?

I don't understand. The total was $750. How could there be an upgrade fee in there unless taxes were less than 2%? :confused:

volsfan0911

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered GN2 @ my local VZW store. Lobbied hard to ditch the upgrade fee but no luck. My wife and I use very little data so took the upgrade price, went to a tiered data plan from the unlimited and will save $30/month. I know that is sacrilege for some but I'm on wi-fi most of my day and we average under a 1 GB per month each. I'm just going to be very anxious waiting for the damned thing to get here now - the 27th can't get here quickly enough. I'm hoping that it gets here a day early which has happened with other devices.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Heck yeah.....thought I was going to have to, to keep my unlimited but found i could upgrade my 5th line to a smartphone (note 2).....i will get it all set up and activated, and then swap it to my line and back the 5th line back down to its regular dumb phone. convoluted i know, but heck figure its worth a try.

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I'll need to pay retail to keep unlimited data but I was wondering if by waiting a month or two would you be able to find a Note 2 at less than $699? Do prices drop on phones after a while?

killroy420

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I just say say I find it funny how people justify switching to tiered because they currently average far less than the cap. It will be interesting in a year or two when all these people learn how to use that data and are suddenly in a situation where they need to use a lot of it. I personally average about 6 gigs a month, but that shot up to 16gigs in September when I spent a couple weeks in the hospital with my daughter and I needed to use my service (the WiFi there was horrendously slow, insecure, and blocked many of the sites I needed to go to). I hope the outrage at these caps reaches deafening proportions and gets the FCC to do something about this whole broken system we have to deal with.

I tried to think of something witty, but this is all I could come up with.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I just say say I find it funny how people justify switching to tiered because they currently average far less than the cap. It will be interesting in a year or two when all these people learn how to use that data and are suddenly in a situation where they need to use a lot of it. I personally average about 6 gigs a month, but that shot up to 16gigs in September when I spent a couple weeks in the hospital with my daughter and I needed to use my service (the WiFi there was horrendously slow, insecure, and blocked many of the sites I needed to go to). I hope the outrage at these caps reaches deafening proportions and gets the FCC to do something about this whole broken system we have to deal with.

Please explain "when they learn how to use that data".
I've been using smartphones since the Treo 700P. I have never gone over 3GB
in one month.
I don't tether, I don't stream music, I don't usually watch Netflix on my phone.

I have movies and music on my phone. I use my phone more than my laptop, but I'm usually on wifi.

killroy420

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Please explain "when they learn how to use that data".
I've been using smartphones since the Treo 700P. I have never gone over 3GB
in one month.
I don't tether, I don't stream music, I don't usually watch Netflix on my phone.

I have movies and music on my phone. I use my phone more than my laptop, but I'm usually on wifi.

I'm referring to the point when we all start utilizing applications as they are intended, and following the trend of services based "in the cloud." When data speeds are fast enough (and the coverage large enough), what is the point in on board storage when you can have unlimited cloud storage for all of your data, regardless of type/source. Some storage space makes sense for caching purposes and for going offline, but generally we only need a small fraction of everything we have at any given point. I have 400 gigs worth of music, but I only need maybe 3 gigs worth to keep me happy for a week.

I understand your argument, but as our phones become more capable of replacing our full blown laptops and desktops with high speed internet connections all of our data needs are going to increase. I liken this trend to inflation on currency, and a cap is like saying that the price of data is not increasing even though the demand is. I am sorry, but in a world of "limited" supply, the price of data is going to go up and that makes unlimited plans more valuable than ever. Just because we can see a saving gain in the short term (based on PAST data), doesn't mean that savings will be there when inflation goes up, and by then it will be too late to do anything.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm referring to the point when we all start utilizing applications as they are intended, and following the trend of services based "in the cloud." When data speeds are fast enough (and the coverage large enough), what is the point in on board storage when you can have unlimited cloud storage for all of your data, regardless of type/source. Some storage space makes sense for caching purposes and for going offline, but generally we only need a small fraction of everything we have at any given point. I have 400 gigs worth of music, but I only need maybe 3 gigs worth to keep me happy for a week.

I understand your argument, but as our phones become more capable of replacing our full blown laptops and desktops with high speed internet connections all of our data needs are going to increase. I liken this trend to inflation on currency, and a cap is like saying that the price of data is not increasing even though the demand is. I am sorry, but in a world of "limited" supply, the price of data is going to go up and that makes unlimited plans more valuable than ever. Just because we can see a saving gain in the short term (based on PAST data), doesn't mean that savings will be there when inflation goes up, and by then it will be too late to do anything.

The problem with cloud based storage is accessibility. My signal isn't very strong in my office or at my mom's house. If everything I want to access is in the cloud I won't be able to get to it at all times.
I don't like music enough to accumulate 400GB, hell, I don't like enough of it to accumulate 40GB.

I put my favorite fights, movies, and south park episodes on my phone and will put the ones I removed onto my sdcard when I switch phones.

I think it's safe to assume that the tiered data plans are fine for some as far as the issue you have with it.

My issue with it is that I think once Verizon convinces everyone to switch or forces them to switch with the high cost of paying retail for phones, that they will raise the pricing of the shared data.

killroy420

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
My issue with it is that I think once Verizon convinces everyone to switch or forces them to switch with the high cost of paying retail for phones, that they will raise the pricing of the shared data.

...and that is the day I will jump ship to another carrier with zero reservations. :)

drum747

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry to say I believe all unlimited will eventually go away on Verizon. It could be a matter of a 6 month notice and boom! Gone.
I have unlimited and have never used more than 8 gb in a month. My wife and I are going to combine our plans (she uses 1 gb a month) to a 8gb shared plan to upgrade to the N2. We will save 30 bucks a month over what we pay now so it will work for us without any huge concerns. That was my deal with my wife, combine and save money or no phone. It is what it is. Goodbye Unlimited, hello Note 2.
It sucks, I know but that was the only angle I could work after being laid off of my job of 6 years and having to take a lower paying gig. I want this phone so,...I need to suck it up and move forward. I hope you Guy's can keep unlimited forever but I'm afraid my time is up.

TEEMILL

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
JUST REMEMBER NOT TO STREAM THINGS LIKE PANDORA, NETFLIX OR IHEART RADIO THAT WILL USE A LOT OF YOUR DATA !

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

drum747

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I've gotten pretty good at having my media local. Downloading on Wi-Fi only. The only thing ill have to cut back on is my Vulkano. What can I say, i'll have to make it work.