Insurance -VZW/Best Buy?

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
So, I never have purchased a phone off contract before and since I will be doing just that in the near future I need to ask this question.

I assume since I am buying the Note 2 from Best Buy, I can get Verizon's insurance plan like I have now on my Razr Maxx since they are a Verizon Dealer? Or do I have to do that Geek Squad Black Tie protection from Best Buy?

bigguy_132

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I can't speak for buying one from Best Buy but I had VZW's insurance when I bought my Galaxy Nexus off of Craigslist and I was able to keep the insurance on my line. I actually had to claim it awhile back and had no issues claiming it.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
So, I never have purchased a phone off contract before and since I will be doing just that in the near future I need to ask this question.

I assume since I am buying the Note 2 from Best Buy, I can get Verizon's insurance plan like I have now on my Razr Maxx since they are a Verizon Dealer? Or do I have to do that Geek Squad Black Tie protection from Best Buy?

Geek squad is optional but it's amazing, it pretty much covers everything except lost or stolen without having a deductible to get a new device. (I'm biased seeing as though I work there lol)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak for buying one from Best Buy but I had VZW's insurance when I bought my Galaxy Nexus off of Craigslist and I was able to keep the insurance on my line. I actually had to claim it awhile back and had no issues claiming it.
That is good to hear! I would like to do the same when I get the Note 2.

You dont count then! :p j.k

I have had Best Buy's coverage before and youre right, it is pretty nice

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Another +1 for Best Buy. My experience has been excellent with their plan. No deductible or limits on replacements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Geek squad is optional but it's amazing, it pretty much covers everything except lost or stolen without having a deductible to get a new device. (I'm biased seeing as though I work there lol)

since you work there can you confirm if you get a brand new device ? i have the black tie protection on my s3 and would like to know the answer thanks !

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I thought BB covered you for the full retail value and made it so you could bring it in (damaged or dead of course) and get cash towards another phone. I had a Sony digital camera years ago that had a sensor go nuts on it. Pictures printed out blue, but looked normal otherwise (it wasn't the printer). I took it in, they couldn't repair it or the cost to do so was too much so I get a full refund towards another camera which was parlayed into a Nikon D70 back then. Still have it, still works great.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I thought BB covered you for the full retail value and made it so you could bring it in (damaged or dead of course) and get cash towards another phone. I had a Sony digital camera years ago that had a sensor go nuts on it. Pictures printed out blue, but looked normal otherwise (it wasn't the printer). I took it in, they couldn't repair it or the cost to do so was too much so I get a full refund towards another camera which was parlayed into a Nikon D70 back then. Still have it, still works great.
yeah i have used there warranty on several ocasions just never on a phone . it seems almost to good to be true that you could get a new device instead of a refurb

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
since you work there can you confirm if you get a brand new device ? i have the black tie protection on my s3 and would like to know the answer thanks !

No you get a rapid exchange refurbished unless there isn't any in stock at the warehouse

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

This is only if you had to get the phone repaired 3 times due to defective hardware. The mobile policy is different from our protection plans on items in the rest of the store

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
On a side note, BestBuy really bones you if you want to buy the device without contract. The picture showing the device in BB already (in another thread) listed the full price at $799.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
On a side note, BestBuy really bones you if you want to buy the device without contract. The picture showing the device in BB already (in another thread) listed the full price at $799.
Yes & No.
You are correct.
Best Buy sells the phone at full list price if you don't do any research.
But Best Buy will match just about any advertised price.
Many have posted about how Best Buy matched a price as much as $150 less through Radio Shack and Amazon.com
You can always find a price less than full list so Best Buy is a good option because of the superior insurance coverage.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes & No.
You are correct.
Best Buy sells the phone at full list price if you don't do any research.
But Best Buy will match just about any advertised price.
Many have posted about how Best Buy matched a price as much as $150 less through Radio Shack and Amazon.com
You can always find a price less than full list so Best Buy is a good option because of the superior insurance coverage.

True that on the price matching. But I tried to do price matching on a BB 9930. They flat out refused.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Refused to match Amazon Wireless pricing. Straight up a holes about it too.
Probably a manager on some power trip. Most just verify enough to cover their butts if they are called on it. They are usually happy to give it to you.
I believe it even lists Amazon specifically as one of the sites that it will match. That is part of the reason they price the off contract price so high. They will get the shopper that is not price sensitive to pay full price and those that are can get the price reduced by match.
I have several Best Buys in my area so I would have gone to a different store or come when a different manager was present and have them produce the price match policy if necessary..

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Probably a manager on some power trip. Most just verify enough to cover their butts if they are called on it. They are usually happy to give it to you.
I believe it even lists Amazon specifically as one of the sites that it will match. That is part of the reason they price the off contract price so high. They will get the shopper that is not price sensitive to pay full price and those that are can get the price reduced by match.
I have several Best Buys in my area so I would have gone to a different store or come when a different manager was present and have them produce the price match policy if necessary..

This happened in Savannah, GA and only one BB store there. They really suck at that store and I haven't been back to a BB since then.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
This happened in Savannah, GA and only one BB store there. They really suck at that store and I haven't been back to a BB since then.

They won't price match an outright phone unless you let them activate. Don't make any money off outright phones and price matching would result in lost money.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1