Galaxy Note II vs HTC DNA?

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
What are your thoughts on the comparison between these two phones.

I have some unanswered questions.
The DNA comes with only about 2000 mAh battery (vs 3100 for the Note II) that is not removable? Why would they do that?
The DNA takes no SD cards, but does come with 16 gig drive.
Although the DNA supposed to have a 1080P screen, the App icons and function icons still look normal size. How's this done? Do the Icons resize themselves based on screen size?

I am looking at both of these phones, and the battery fiasco on the DNA is not winning me over. And I don't care if it has wireless charging, because you still have to charge it often. Having such high end features on a non-removable relative normal charge battery is puzzling.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
The DNA will still be a good phone for some people I don't like everything you said (battery no sdcard) but it being stuck to Verizon is also a bad thing I hope At&t comes out with a gsm one with a better battery

Sent from my PC36100

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE:
I am not concerned as much about the size of the battery than I am with the fact that it's non-removable. There is no excuse for this.

You must be able to remove battery:
for resetting,
for swapping bad batteries,
for swapping dated old batteries,
for adding extending batteries
for changing batteries when they get low, instead of searching like a zombie for a plug in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry, but the DNA is now off my list.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE:
I am not concerned as much about the size of the battery than I am with the fact that it's non-removable. There is no excuse for this.

You must be able to remove battery:
for resetting,
for swapping bad batteries,
for swapping dated old batteries,
for adding extending batteries
for changing batteries when they get low, instead of searching like a zombie for a plug in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry, but the DNA is now off my list.

Tell Apple this too. :D

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
From what I've heard, even though the battery is that small, it manages to do pretty well. But, if you are using the screen for an extended time, it can kill the battery, just not as fast as you might expect.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
it's not the size of the battery, it's the fact that it not removable. that's just stupid. my interest in the DNA went from 60% to minus 2000% after I learned about the battery.

Hector709

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I too scratched DNA off my list. I dont like the fact there isnt a slot for extra memory. The battery doesnt really bother me its more about storage space.
I will be ordering my Galaxy from Best Buy when available.

JWatson4701

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I could get over the battery, as I'm sure it can't be much worse than my tbolt on the original battery, but only having 11Gb of usable storage is a total deal breaker. I have twice that in music alone on my tbolt!

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
All interesting and valid short comings. Why would HTC create a flagship phone that isn't? Specially considering their financial woos.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
The only thing the DNA has over the Note 2 IMO is the screen. Other than that, I feel the Note 2 is a much more superior phone.

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Yah, the non-removable battery is a deal breaker for me. That's one feature on a phone I absolutely refuse to give up regardless of how great battery life may be. I want the CHOICE of swapping out for a fresh battery on the fly and go about my business without having to get stuck tethered to a cord for a charge. No SD card and only 16GB storage isn't appealing either. And to think this was the 5" screen device I've been reading about for months and thinking it could replace my Thunderbolt. NOT! IMO, the HTC DNA is DOA. Note 2 is hands down a better device!

vNaK

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm still leaning towards the Note 2. I want something that changes the way I use my phone and it seems like the Note 2 will do just that. Biggest selling point to me is how feature packed the Note 2 is (ie. S-pen, multiview, etc). I take a lot of notes, so S-pen is going to be invaluable for me. So many times where I just want to jot something down real quick, but I can't. Since I don't normally carry a pen/pad with me like how I would carry my phone. Plus trying to type in your phone to jot down a note is too cumbersome.

Besides, I will be getting a Nexus 4 (whenever it becomes available again, sigh) too along with my Note 2. Rather have Note2/N4 combo than a DNA/N4.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't think I'll ever use the S-pen.
Neither battery life nor having a removable battery is a concern for me since I can charge almost any time.

The sdcard only matters to me because of the less than 16GB of usable space.

I do like the multi window feature.

The DNA screen sounds like it will look awesome.

I'll be going with the Note II.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
The DNA was a serious consideration for me vs. the GN2.
I'm coming from a 4.3" screen so the 5" DNA would have been a big step up without going to the freakishly large. 5" is probably the upper limit on smart phones (although Apple would have you believe its 4"), anything larger would probably fit in the phablet category.
Also, the S-pen is a novelty that I have done well without so I don't neccessarily Need it on my smartphone.
Like many have mentioned, the small non-replacable battery ended consideration for me. Htc could have kept my interest if they had not made it small and non-replacable. Many of us have experience with inadequate Htc batteries with the T-bolt and other phones. You get an extended battery or carry a spare and its no longer a huge issue. If it's non-replacable just make it large enough like the RAZR Maxx HD and again, not an issue.
But seeing how my stock T-bolt battery (that's not much smaller than the DNA battery) struggled to power my 4.3" screen makes me doubt how long the DNA will last with a 5" beast followong a year of use. Especially with full time LTE in my area.
I know the processor is more efficient than my T-bolt, Jelly Bean is more efficient than Ginger Bread, and the screens have gotten more efficient. But I"m not willing to take that risk when there is no option for an extended or replacement battery.

So now I am awaiting the VZW release of the freakishly large smart phone, err phablet. I will get used to and enjoy the added screen real estate even if I look a little dorky carrying in a holster on my hip or holding it to the side of my face to have a conversation.
I will find utility in the S-pen and optimize its use.
So when Big Red is done lauching it's Droid army, I will get the GN2.
Nothing else even comes close.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

D_Ar1zzl3

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I almost pre-ordered the DNA the day it was announced (since I've been following the leaks on this phone for a while now mainly from this site), but held back after seeing the specs on battery and non-expandable storage...

However, the accessories (USB host cable / battery packs) mentioned by other members in other threads here are convincing me more and more to go with this phone over the GN II. However, I'm waiting to see the reviews on battery life and performance before I take the plunge. To me, as long as the phone lasts at least from the time I get up in the morning to the time I go to bed (~15-16 hours) with moderate-to-heavy use, then I'm happy. I know that the S4 Pro is more powerful and efficient than the Exynos quad core, but I do wonder if the extra pixels on the DNA will make 3D-rendered gaming between the two pretty much equal... And of course, how many of those graphic intensive games will I be able to load on the DNA even with a slimmed-down custom ROM..

But for us that are not eligible for an upgrade until later next year, the difference comes down to $100 ($599 vs. $699)... Is the longer battery life and microSD slot worth the extra $$, or should I go for the DNA and then use my upgrade for the DNA+ or GS4 / GN3..??

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Didnt they say that about the Razr not having a removeable battery? One of my coworkers had one, he ripped off the back cover and used some torx drivers and was able to replace the battery so although the DNA may say its not removeable i imagine it may be done with some inconvience but most likely can be done.

But for me the larger battery and the screen size of the Note 2 is most important, plus the fact that it has a non pentile OLED display :)

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
The display on the Note II is out of this world. I had my Galaxy Nexus screen at 100% brightness and it seemed half as bright as the Note II. It's really a beautiful screen.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
After seeing the specs on the battery size of the DNA, I was turned off. I was shocked to see such a small battery in a phone that size, with such a demanding screen. I've gotten so used to my Razr Maxx. Anything not close to 3000+mah is a turn off.
I'm not all that concerned about a removal battery anymore. My other android phones all had removal batteries, and I was always looking for a charger. My Maxx has a non removable battery, and I never keep a charger on me. I might go with the Note 2 as my next phone. Has a 3000+ battery, and had the battery has the option to be removed if I ever have the need to swap it out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2