Galaxy Note II vs HTC DNA?

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
HTC has never (and will never) call the DNA a phablet, because it isn't one. They made it abundantly clear during the launch event that they were not trying to add tablet features to a smartphone.

Exactly I was saying the note 2 is a phablet and the DNA a smartphone like you said HTC made it clear and that's why I said you can't use the note 2s size against because its not in the same category as a DNA

Sent from my PC36100

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Exactly I was saying the note 2 is a phablet and the DNA a smartphone like you said HTC made it clear and that's why I said you can't use the note 2s size against because its not in the same category as a DNA

Sent from my PC36100

Exactly. The note 2 is great for what it is, but it'll be too big for a lot of people. HTC was trying to thread the needle between the note 2 and the bigger smart phones.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. The note 2 is great for what it is, but it'll be too big for a lot of people. HTC was trying to thread the needle between the note 2 and the bigger smart phones.

Ok so why are you comparing these devices that aren't in the same category

Sent from my PC36100

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok so why are you comparing these devices that aren't in the same category

Sent from my PC36100

I was responding to the comparisons being made. And the things I identified that are better on the DNA are more of a result of a generational jump than anything else.

CyD13

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
The processor is significantly better. Your design criticisms are subjective. (And it sounds like you're basing your entire opinion of this device on the verges review) also, the USB flap exists because the device is waterproof/splash proof.
I'll give you the splashproof idea, and I'm not basing my opinion on just the Verge, but on other reviews and videos I've seen as well.

The menu button criticism is nonsensical. That button has been deprecated in android. If you want to get technical about it, the one in the wrong is Samsung for including one.
They are both wrong, but HTC is more wrong. As long as apps (especially major ones like Twitter and Facebook) use the menu button, HTC's button layout is absolutely stupid. Ideally both phones would have soft keys, but Android isn't at the point where a menu button isn't needed yet. Samsung, at least, doesn't waste screen real estate.

99% of what you listed is subjective, and much of it isn't even true. The multitasking issue? Yeah, that was fixed about six months ago and hasn't been present on any HTC handsets since then.
The entire concept of choosing a cellphone is opinion based, but most people would agree that not all phones are created equally. Attempting to invalidate my statements by calling them opinions equates to stating that the DNA is a better phone and that no one will ever be able to convince you otherwise. Leave the topic if that's how you feel.

All of the pop up, s pen, etc stuff you mention is irrelevant, because the note is trying to be a tablet while the DNA is trying to just be a regular smartphone. They do not compete against each other.
The Galaxy S3 is getting the same popup multitasking treatment, and that's trying to be a phone. Furthermore, the fact that this topic exists in every Verizon Galaxy Note 2 forum known to the internet proves that, while they may not technically be in the same category, they certainly compete against each other.

We're going to have to agree to disagree, because EVERYTHING you posted has to do with software, which is entirely subjective.
What makes software any more or less subjective than hardware?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'll give you the splashproof idea, and I'm not basing my opinion on just the Verge, but on other reviews and videos I've seen as well.

They are both wrong, but HTC is more wrong. As long as apps (especially major ones like Twitter and Facebook) use the menu button, HTC's button layout is absolutely stupid. Ideally both phones would have soft keys, but Android isn't at the point where a menu button isn't needed yet. Samsung, at least, doesn't waste screen real estate.

That isn't HTC's fault, that's the developers fault for not following android guidelines for integrating the menu button into the ui. HTC's implementation is only a step away from googles guidelines, while samsung's is a whole generation behind.

The entire concept of choosing a cellphone is opinion based, but most people would agree that not all phones are created equally. Attempting to invalidate my statements by calling them opinions equates to stating that the DNA is a better phone and that no one will ever be able to convince you otherwise. Leave the topic if that's how you feel.

Specs are not an opinion, saying software is better is. You cannot argue that the processor on the note is better, because it isn't. Just like most of the other specs.

The Galaxy S3 is getting the same popup multitasking treatment, and that's trying to be a phone. Furthermore, the fact that this topic exists in every Verizon Galaxy Note 2 forum known to the internet proves that, while they may not technically be in the same category, they certainly compete against each other.
We'll see how well it operates on the s3, but I wouldn't expect to see this feature survive for long if I was you.

What makes software any more or less subjective than hardware?
Because liking software is subjective. They both offer similar features due to their shared code, with very little to differentiate between them. It is your opinion touch wiz is better, but there are other forum members here that would disagree with you.

Specs are not really subjective though. It is clear when specs are better.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Im thinking that HTC would argue that its somewhere over 5" as they are trying very very hard to make sure their new device isn't called a phablet.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
What HTC says isn't really relevant though. I mean they're far from unbiased in it. Of course they don't want the stigma of a niche phablet. They want to appeal to as many people as possible. But once you go to 5" you're in the discussion, IMO

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The Note 2 is better than the DNA.........no discussion wanted........my opinion!

The Nottinator

That is indeed what the AC poll is saying on the AC homepage!! Both very nice devices but what the Note 2 lacks in ppi it easily makes up for in battery and the obvious...expandable storage.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think it's hilarious when people say they don't compete with each other. I seriously considered canceling my Note 2 preorder for the DNA. If I am seriously considering two phones, then they are indeed competing, for me. Just because they aren't in the same category doesn't mean they aren't competing.

I have stated this exact thing. So many people are trying decide between these phones yet people seems to think they don't compete. Maybe the word compete should be changed to reflect the opinions of AC members :banghead:

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

CyD13

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
That isn't HTC's fault, that's the developers fault for not following android guidelines for integrating the menu button into the ui. HTC's implementation is only a step away from googles guidelines, while samsung's is a whole generation behind.
And yet Samsung's is still more functional. Imagine that.

Specs are not an opinion, saying software is better is. You cannot argue that the processor on the note is better, because it isn't. Just like most of the other specs.
Not once did I ever say that the processor in the Note 2 was better than the processor in the DNA.

And just as an example: LCD vs AMOLED is completely subjective.

We'll see how well it operates on the s3, but I wouldn't expect to see this feature survive for long if I was you.
Go watch some youtube videos. It works perfectly well. And hey, thanks for speculating. Thank goodness you aren't me.

Because liking software is subjective. They both offer similar features due to their shared code, with very little to differentiate between them. It is your opinion touch wiz is better, but there are other forum members here that would disagree with you.
Liking hardware/design is subjective too. See where you've brought us?

Specs are not really subjective though. It is clear when specs are better.
Not all software is created equally either.

kenydroid

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I got my note 2 about 4 weeks ago and it replaced an iPhone 4. I do not find the screen to big and it sits in my hand perfectly as I have never been a one handed user.
I really. Can't imagine how I managed with the small iphone now.
I fitted a 32Gb memory card and also have 30Gb of Google drive available. A replacement Samsung battery was only ?24 ($20) too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys... the Note 2 and DNA are both Android.

Lets bash the iPhone and not brethern android phones ok???

Well said. Both of these phones blows iPhone 5 out of water.
If you can't live with size of Note 2, then get DNA. Likewise if you can't deal with limited storage, battery in DNA, go with Note 2.