Non-Rooters: Worried about updates?

MKita

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a Gnex now and it takes Verizon to update it.. I feel like they don't want to push the Note2 so I fear updates might never happen..

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I suspect Samsung will upgrade to Android 4.2 and skip 4.1.2 or offer that as a maintenance release or so one would hope. As for 4.2 I would suspect summer time 2013 given how Verizon is and how long it takes Samsung to get their crap going. After all new devices announced at CES 2013 will likely get 4.2 so that will be their primary focus. So we will get the update(s) just don't expect Key Lime Pie 5.0 to ever arrive.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a Gnex now and it takes Verizon to update it.. I feel like they don't want to push the Note2 so I fear updates might never happen..

Verizon is very conservative and protective of their network so they take their time releasing updates.
Most new high end phones get at least one update during a two year period from it's original launch.
My Thunderbolt got upgraded to Gingerbread and was promised Ice Cream Sandwich. I don't know if most of us will ever see ICS but that was the announcement by HTC before their money got tight. Upgrading Thunderbolt may be a project that was scrapped to cut cost.
This is why I will never again buy a new smartphone launched with an old Operating System.
I wouldn't jump on the SGS3 or RAZR MAXX HD until they had Jelly Bean. VZW takes too long to update so by the time you receive that update the next OS is out and you're behind the curve again.
The GN2 is being launched by Verizon with Jelly Bean and the Multi-tasking update pre-loaded so that makes me feel more comfortable getting it early.
Otherwise it could take Big Red 3 months to get it out when it only took Sprint 2 weeks.
This also gives me some confidence that Verizon will get around to getting Key Lime Pie on the GN2 in 2013.

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, Samsung said they want to update it to 4.2 in the first quarter 2013.. so add another month or two, maybe, for Verizon's own delay.. I think it'll have it by May at the latest.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Given Verizon's track record in releasing updates, I wouldn't count on crap from them. All other carriers will release an update, but it'll take Verizon 6 months for the same thing. Great coverage, but crappy updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol