11-30-2012 01:58 PM
68 123
tools
    Turning wifi off doesn't fix the problem. The notification is there all the time whether wifi is on or not.
    That's why I said read the complaints.
    Ok so why is this a big deal.
    11-17-2012 09:20 PM
    Ok so why is this a big deal.
    Let's see. If you aren't connected to wifi, every time you go into an app that uses data it tells you to connect to wifi and there is a constant notification in the pulldown menu saying there is wifi available.
    If you are connected to wifi there is a constant notification in the pulldown menu saying you're connected.

There is no option to disable it.
    11-17-2012 09:25 PM
    Let's see. If you aren't connected to wifi, every time you go into an app that uses data it tells you to connect to wifi and there is a constant notification in the pulldown menu saying there is wifi available.
    If you are connected to wifi there is a constant notification in the pulldown menu saying you're connected.

There is no option to disable it.
    LOL. Thats it I'm not buying it. Root it. Problem solved.
    cpuangel likes this.
    11-17-2012 09:50 PM
    LOL. Thats it I'm not buying it. Root it. Problem solved.
    Read this. The WHOLE page this should fix it. I know it's not the Note 2, But it should work. Worth a shot.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...g-come-in.html
    11-17-2012 09:59 PM
    Read this. The WHOLE page this should fix it. I know it's not the Note 2, But it should work. Worth a shot.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...g-come-in.html
    Clearly you didn't actually read my posts.
    I already posted how to get rid of it with root.
    My problem is that it shouldn't be necessary because it shouldn't be there.
    Not everyone wants to root.
    11-17-2012 10:20 PM
    The code I posted worked on my S3 and in fact stopped all popups and notifications concerning wi-fi. It may not work on the GN2.
    11-17-2012 10:24 PM
    Others said the code only stopped the pop-up but the pulldown notification stayed, which required root and a SQL editor to remove it, that was also for the SG3.
    11-17-2012 10:29 PM
    Cool beans - unsure why it worked for me. I'm no expert when it comes to rooting.
    11-17-2012 10:34 PM
    Rooting can be different for each device model. I have read how to root the Sprint, T-mobile, and AT&T version.
    I don't see much activity in the root sections of the note 2.

That's making it even more difficult for me to spend near $800 for it as I've gotten accustomed to using customized ROMs.
    Markster1 likes this.
    11-17-2012 10:42 PM
    Heres a great idea, you have the option to turn it off for sure by not buying the device....problem solved
    11-17-2012 11:25 PM
    Just turn WIFI off. Problem solved. I don't use WIFI anyway. I'm unlimited.
    That's what I just told him lol

Sent from my EPIC WHITE SGS2 Rockin CM10 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2
    11-18-2012 12:00 AM
    I NEVER SAW THAT NOTIFICATION WITH WIFI OFF I CALL BS HOW IS IT SEARCHING FOR A SIGNAL WHEN OFF

11-18-2012 12:02 AM
    Do you guys not have your auto-connect turned off? This disables the wifi pop up.
    11-18-2012 06:24 AM
    I NEVER SAW THAT NOTIFICATION WITH WIFI OFF I CALL BS HOW IS IT SEARCHING FOR A SIGNAL WHEN OFF

Can you read?
    Look at the complaints for the Verizon SG3. When wifi is off it isn't searching for a signal, it tells you that wifi is off and it's a persistent notification.
    If it wasn't real why on earth would there be instructions on how to dial a code to remove the pop-up and how to use SQL editor to remove the persistent notification?

Either you guys can't read or can't comprehend what you read.
    You might also be missing the part where it says the Verizon version.

Try this, Google "Verizon wifi persistent notification" then have someone read you the contents and explain it to you.
    EDIT: I decided to find a few complaints for you.

This particular problem may not bother everyone, however, it shows what limits Verizon will go to to "help us". Eventually they will implement a "helpful" feature that will bother everyone. There is no reason not to let them know that making decisions on our behalf is not necessary nor appreciated.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/09...zon-galaxy-s3/

"On Friday, we noticed that Verizon had introduced a new ongoing notification to the Galaxy S3 and Incredible 4G LTE that to put it nicely, was a bit annoying. This is essentially their way of reminding customers that they should use WiFi as much as possible rather than their brand spankin new 4G LTE network. For tiered or shared data customers, this reminder is probably worthwhile, but to those of us with unlimited data and who do not appreciate a 24-7 reminder of something we do anyway, we were looking for ways to get rid of it. One of our readers has come through in the clutch again with a step-by-step guide, for rooted users.
    Instructions:

*You have to be rooted in order to do this.

1. Download an SQL editor from the Play store and open it. SQLite Editor is an option.
    2. Find Setting storage>settings.db>secure:"

How would you change WiFi notifications? | PhoneDog

A phone notifying you that there's a WiFi signal around isn't new, not by a longshot. It's been aorund for quite some time, and for the most part it's a pretty helpful feature. For those of us out there who don't necessarily always want to depend on our carrier's data connection, syncing up with an open WiFi network is a simple option. Sure, it may be clogged with other users, but it's an option. And your phone notifying you of that availability is great.

When it's handled properly, that is. Because, as we've seen from devices released just this year, it can be handled in a very, very non-functional way. The result? Annoyance. And that will eventually lead to frustration, especially if it keeps happening.

The Samsung Galaxy S III was the first culprit for me. That WiFi notification that's always present on the device's notification shade? Horrendous. Not only that, the device running on Verizon's network actually has a pop-up that notifies you every single time there's a WiFi signal in reach of the device. The kicker? There's no option to actually turn that feature off. Instead, you get three options: "OK," "Always auto connect," and "Not now, remind me later."

That pop-up drove me insane. I like WiFi networks, but I don't need to have them drilled into me.

HTC Incredible 4G LTE Review | Pocketnow

Verizon has also done its part to muck up the notification area: as we previously reported on, its converted the WiFi toggle into a persistent notification. The WiFi icon always stays in the tray, reminding you that, even if you dont currently have WiFi turned on, you could if you wanted to. It wont bother everyone, but for those who like keeping their notification tray clear so that incoming messages can be quickly identified, this senseless perversion of the notification system will likely prove a real pain.
    nexususer99 and chevyman29 like this.
    11-18-2012 08:10 AM
    Rooting can be different for each device model. I have read how to root the Sprint, T-mobile, and AT&T version.
    I don't see much activity in the root sections of the note 2.

That's making it even more difficult for me to spend near $800 for it as I've gotten accustomed to using customized ROMs.
    It's just a matter of time and someone will have it going.
    11-18-2012 11:02 AM
    Lol well that's not normal

11-18-2012 11:56 AM
    you can be sure about one thing when you root...SOMETHING WON'T WORK!!! Thats the only thing you can be positive about, I've had some very good ROMS but they range from device and something is always wrong. I'm done rooting, I've accepted no device is perfect including the almighty IOS, but this phone is damn close. Don't sweat the small stuff, just enjoy the device because this one is very special.

My gf has the biggest breasts and most beautiful face you have ever seen and she is so sweet, but sometimes her posture is bad - do I root her???
    11-18-2012 01:38 PM
    I've never had anything break by rooting a device, but I have read that rooting the Note 2 breaks the S-pen.

Rooting isn't always done to correct a problem. I initially started rooting for the ability to take screen shots.
    I also like access to the command line which means nothing without root.
    Lastly having titanium backup to restore apps also needs root. I have had apps update and screw up the app, I used titanium backup to restore the previous version.
    11-18-2012 01:56 PM
    I've never had anything break by rooting a device, but I have read that rooting the Note 2 breaks the S-pen.

Rooting isn't always done to correct a problem. I initially started rooting for the ability to take screen shots.
    I also like access to the command line which means nothing without root.
    Lastly having titanium backup to restore apps also needs root. I have had apps update and screw up the app, I used titanium backup to restore the previous version.
    Question for you. If you have NO WIFI networks stored will this still give you the reminder?
    11-18-2012 02:33 PM
    Question for you. If you have NO WIFI networks stored will this still give you the reminder?
    If I remember correctly, no. It only does that persistent notification if you're within range of a known network, but I think you still get the pop-up.
    11-18-2012 02:48 PM
    If I remember correctly, no. It only does that persistent notification if you're within range of a known network, but I think you still get the pop-up.
    Thanks. I hope this doesn't bother me to much. My HTC Rezound never has had any notification wifi pop ups.
    11-18-2012 03:35 PM
    Just played with a Verizon demo unit at Best Buy and noticed that you cannot continuously scroll though home screens or the app drawer. When you hit the last screen you just get the little rubber band effect and cannot continue on to the first screen. I tried to figure out if there was a setting to change this, but couldn't find one. Can that be changed, or did Verizon gimp that feature for some reason?
    I hope you are wrong I love being able to scroll continuously. I wouldn't be to happy to loose this feature.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    11-18-2012 03:39 PM
    Thanks. I hope this doesn't bother me to much. My HTC Rezound never has had any notification wifi pop ups.
    I'm hoping the post I read about root breaking the s-pen was incorrect.
    11-18-2012 03:56 PM
    I'm hoping the post I read about root breaking the s-pen was incorrect.
    All the dirt is start to roll out on the Verizon Note 2. Hmmm now I'm thinking I may hold off. Always something to rain on the parade. Grrrrrr!!!!!
    11-18-2012 04:07 PM
    All the dirt is start to roll out on the Verizon Note 2. Hmmm now I'm thinking I may hold off. Always something to rain on the parade. Grrrrrr!!!!!
    I just looked thru several note 2 forums, I have only come acoss the one story of rooting breaking the s-pen.
    So as long as the code works to get rid of the pop-up (if that is indeed on the note) then all that's left is to either learn to live with the persistent notification or root to remove it. It doesn't look as if there will be much, if any, ROM support though.
    11-18-2012 05:41 PM
68 123