11-30-2012 01:58 PM
68 123
tools
    I just looked thru several note 2 forums, I have only come acoss the one story of rooting breaking the s-pen.
    So as long as the code works to get rid of the pop-up (if that is indeed on the note) then all that's left is to either learn to live with the persistent notification or root to remove it. It doesn't look as if there will be much, if any, ROM support though.
    how can u gauge rom support prior to the device being released?
    11-18-2012 06:08 PM
    how can u gauge rom support prior to the device being released?
    I'm going off of the lack of ROM support for the versions that have been released.
    11-18-2012 06:18 PM
    I have to agree, given the majority doesn't know how to or wants to root and besides that we shouldn't have to root a phone to fix something that should already be corrected. This isn't v2.0 of the OS, they are on how many releases later and still big bugs are around.
    11-21-2012 08:56 PM
    . . . we shouldn't have to root a phone to fix something that should already be corrected. This isn't v2.0 of the OS, they are on how many releases later and still big bugs are around.
    If you look at Google's 10's of thousands of open issues on Android, the number of "Stars" shows how many times developers and users have indicated their concern over each issue. Issues with the Status "Assigned", "Needs Info", "Reviewed", etc. are the issues that Google has decided to work on. I don't agree with many of Google's priorities and most of my main concerns are not even on the list.

Issues - android - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Issues - android - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting
    11-21-2012 09:43 PM
    I keep getting emails about the ability to remove old devices from the Google Play store and other related issues that I commented on. Fixing the ability to remove no longer used phones should be fairly simple, or isn't it?
    11-22-2012 11:52 AM
    you can be sure about one thing when you root...SOMETHING WON'T WORK!!! Thats the only thing you can be positive about, I've had some very good ROMS but they range from device and something is always wrong. I'm done rooting, I've accepted no device is perfect including the almighty IOS, but this phone is damn close. Don't sweat the small stuff, just enjoy the device because this one is very special.

My gf has the biggest breasts and most beautiful face you have ever seen and she is so sweet, but sometimes her posture is bad - do I root her???
    ONLY if she gets to root YOU for noticing it & pointing it out...

Seriously, am 100% with u, this phone IS special, and my experience has been EXACTLY like urs.. Rooting gave added functionality but always seemed to reduce some basic, needed feature...

This phone is wayyyyy to perfect to "jack with", ya want something to tinker with, go find an old 8 track tape player...lol

Altho, that wifi notfication does sound maddening....i just don't know how y'all contend with Big Red....Between the branding of the home button, the wifi thingey, the verizon bloatware, the $299.00 price tag and their overpriced plans, its a monthly trip to Crazy Town....

BUT, dint come to bash Verizon, just wanted to agree with ptm88, this phone is so very special , it'd be like getting a brand new beautiful 60 inch LED TV and saying, let me just take off the back and try to tweak it"...lol : )

BTC
    11-22-2012 09:43 PM
    ONLY if she gets to root YOU for noticing it & pointing it out...

Seriously, am 100% with u, this phone IS special, and my experience has been EXACTLY like urs.. Rooting gave added functionality but always seemed to reduce some basic, needed feature...

This phone is wayyyyy to perfect to "jack with", ya want something to tinker with, go find an old 8 track tape player...lol

Altho, that wifi notfication does sound maddening....i just don't know how y'all contend with Big Red....Between the branding of the home button, the wifi thingey, the verizon bloatware, the $299.00 price tag and their overpriced plans, its a monthly trip to Crazy Town....

BUT, dint come to bash Verizon, just wanted to agree with ptm88, this phone is so very special , it'd be like getting a brand new beautiful 60 inch LED TV and saying, let me just take off the back and try to tweak it"...lol : )

BTC
    I stay with Verizon, Well Hmmm there service is the best in my area hands down. I do agree with the bloatware BS though. Honestly if AT&T was better in my area I'd make the switch. I'm loyal to no one. Well just my wife. LOL
    11-22-2012 10:37 PM
    I stopped at a Verizon store to look at the DNA (They didn't have it), but I looked at the two employee's phones. They had the persistent pull-down notification on their phones. I don't think that it's going to bother me as much as it bothered those in the complaints I posted.

The pop-up would drive me insane, but the one that had the SG3 said he was able to disable the pop-up without entering the code, he knew nothing about the code. The other guy had an LG and it too had the persistent notification, so it appears it's something Verizon is adding to select phones since the shared plans started.

As to the comments about root. Rooting alone doesn't usually break anything. All it does is give you more access to the device (like admin access on Windows). When you start adding themes, custom ROMs, kernels, etc, that's when problems can arise.

As I stated, I root mainly because I like the Unix command line. I can have access to the command line without root, but I wouldn't be able to have nearly the same access without it. So rooting isn't always about tweaks, it's also about access.
    11-23-2012 06:57 AM
    I stopped at a Verizon store to look at the DNA (They didn't have it), but I looked at the two employee's phones. They had the persistent pull-down notification on their phones. I don't think that it's going to bother me as much as it bothered those in the complaints I posted.

The pop-up would drive me insane, but the one that had the SG3 said he was able to disable the pop-up without entering the code, he knew nothing about the code. The other guy had an LG and it too had the persistent notification, so it appears it's something Verizon is adding to select phones since the shared plans started.

As to the comments about root. Rooting alone doesn't usually break anything. All it does is give you more access to the device (like admin access on Windows). When you start adding themes, custom ROMs, kernels, etc, that's when problems can arise.

As I stated, I root mainly because I like the Unix command line. I can have access to the command line without root, but I wouldn't be able to have nearly the same access without it. So rooting isn't always about tweaks, it's also about access.
    Yeah I have noticed most of the Verizon phones are starting to do this. If the pop up can't be turned off though I will start punching people in the throat until they turn it off lol. No, if the pop ups bother me I'd just return it and stick with the (oh no, don't say it) iPhone 5.
    11-27-2012 10:40 PM
    Ok something I also noticed is no youtube and chrome in multi view as well as no blocking mode. Verizon really crippled these phones.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    11-29-2012 11:24 PM
    Ok something I also noticed is no youtube and chrome in multi view as well as no blocking mode. Verizon really crippled these phones.

I'm not convinced that it's something Verizon stopped. I downloaded super video and it's in the multiview bar.
    The developer said he/she added support for it.
    11-29-2012 11:44 PM
    Do you have blocking mode or YouTube and chrome in the multi view?

11-29-2012 11:51 PM
    Do you have blocking mode or YouTube and chrome in the multi view?

I do not have YouTube or chrome in multiview, but the fact that I do have another app added to multiview implies Verizon isn't blocking the addition of apps.
    I don't know what blocking mode is or what it does.
    11-29-2012 11:57 PM
    I do not have YouTube or chrome in multiview, but the fact that I do have another app added to multiview implies Verizon isn't blocking the addition of apps.
    Blocking mode is to set at night to block all calls and stuff from coming in. You can also set exceptions to numbers you will allow to get through even with blocking mode on.

11-30-2012 12:02 AM
    EXACTLY, that was the end of it for me. I was testing an International Unlocked Galaxy Note 2 on Straight Talk (ATT) for the last few weeks (ebay $579), until VZW came out with their GN2. The bloatware really bothered me, but besides no YouTube or Chrome in multiview, there is no Twitter, no Facebook and more. Unless this is some kind os setting, I am talking it back and think I have finished with VZW. BTW, battery life is MUCH different, 5.5hours on VZW GN2, 65% battery left, not sooo bad, abut 1 hour screen and 30 minutes phone. 16.5 hours on my ST GN2, 64% battery left and this has been consistant with about 2 hours of screen and 2 hours on phone.

I am sure OS updates will come faster without having Verizon in the middle, that is a proven track record from VZW. Oh well, not trying to derail the thread. Just my findings.

Did not come here to slam VZW, but after the GNEX debacle, I think I want open, unrestricted phones, better battery. Speeds won't compare, but it is not that critical, 8mb down is fine with me.
    NHBass39 likes this.
    11-30-2012 01:48 AM
    EXACTLY, that was the end of it for me. I was testing an International Unlocked Galaxy Note 2 on Straight Talk (ATT) for the last few weeks (ebay $579), until VZW came out with their GN2. The bloatware really bothered me, but besides no YouTube or Chrome in multiview, there is no Twitter, no Facebook and more. Unless this is some kind os setting, I am talking it back and think I have finished with VZW. BTW, battery life is MUCH different, 5.5hours on VZW GN2, 65% battery left, not sooo bad, abut 1 hour screen and 30 minutes phone. 16.5 hours on my ST GN2, 64% battery left and this has been consistant with about 2 hours of screen and 2 hours on phone.

I am sure OS updates will come faster without having Verizon in the middle, that is a proven track record from VZW. Oh well, not trying to derail the thread. Just my findings.

Did not come here to slam VZW, but after the GNEX debacle, I think I want open, unrestricted phones, better battery. Speeds won't compare, but it is not that critical, 8mb down is fine with me.

That's exactly the way I feel. I'm looking into different carrriers myself. I'm fed up with Verizon.
    11-30-2012 02:05 AM
    What happened to the Samsung headphones?
    11-30-2012 01:08 PM
    What happened to the Samsung headphones?
    Nope for those as well

11-30-2012 01:58 PM
68 123