Some things I noticed on Verizon's Note 2

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
you can be sure about one thing when you root...SOMETHING WON'T WORK!!! Thats the only thing you can be positive about, I've had some very good ROMS but they range from device and something is always wrong. I'm done rooting, I've accepted no device is perfect including the almighty IOS, but this phone is damn close. Don't sweat the small stuff, just enjoy the device because this one is very special.

My gf has the biggest breasts and most beautiful face you have ever seen and she is so sweet, but sometimes her posture is bad - do I root her???

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I've never had anything break by rooting a device, but I have read that rooting the Note 2 breaks the S-pen.

Rooting isn't always done to correct a problem. I initially started rooting for the ability to take screen shots.
I also like access to the command line which means nothing without root.
Lastly having titanium backup to restore apps also needs root. I have had apps update and screw up the app, I used titanium backup to restore the previous version.

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I've never had anything break by rooting a device, but I have read that rooting the Note 2 breaks the S-pen.

Rooting isn't always done to correct a problem. I initially started rooting for the ability to take screen shots.
I also like access to the command line which means nothing without root.
Lastly having titanium backup to restore apps also needs root. I have had apps update and screw up the app, I used titanium backup to restore the previous version.

Question for you. If you have NO WIFI networks stored will this still give you the reminder?

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
If I remember correctly, no. It only does that persistent notification if you're within range of a known network, but I think you still get the pop-up.

Thanks. I hope this doesn't bother me to much. My HTC Rezound never has had any notification wifi pop ups.

elvis1935

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just played with a Verizon demo unit at Best Buy and noticed that you cannot continuously scroll though home screens or the app drawer. When you hit the last screen you just get the little rubber band effect and cannot continue on to the first screen. I tried to figure out if there was a setting to change this, but couldn't find one. Can that be changed, or did Verizon gimp that feature for some reason?

I hope you are wrong I love being able to scroll continuously. I wouldn't be to happy to loose this feature.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
All the dirt is start to roll out on the Verizon Note 2. Hmmm now I'm thinking I may hold off. Always something to rain on the parade. Grrrrrr!!!!!

I just looked thru several note 2 forums, I have only come acoss the one story of rooting breaking the s-pen.
So as long as the code works to get rid of the pop-up (if that is indeed on the note) then all that's left is to either learn to live with the persistent notification or root to remove it. It doesn't look as if there will be much, if any, ROM support though.

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I just looked thru several note 2 forums, I have only come acoss the one story of rooting breaking the s-pen.
So as long as the code works to get rid of the pop-up (if that is indeed on the note) then all that's left is to either learn to live with the persistent notification or root to remove it. It doesn't look as if there will be much, if any, ROM support though.

how can u gauge rom support prior to the device being released?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree, given the majority doesn't know how to or wants to root and besides that we shouldn't have to root a phone to fix something that should already be corrected. This isn't v2.0 of the OS, they are on how many releases later and still big bugs are around.

Life-Is-Good

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
. . . we shouldn't have to root a phone to fix something that should already be corrected. This isn't v2.0 of the OS, they are on how many releases later and still big bugs are around.

If you look at Google's 10's of thousands of open issues on Android, the number of "Stars" shows how many times developers and users have indicated their concern over each issue. Issues with the Status "Assigned", "Needs Info", "Reviewed", etc. are the issues that Google has decided to work on. I don't agree with many of Google's priorities and most of my main concerns are not even on the list. :p

Issues - android - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Issues - android - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I keep getting emails about the ability to remove old devices from the Google Play store and other related issues that I commented on. Fixing the ability to remove no longer used phones should be fairly simple, or isn't it?

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
you can be sure about one thing when you root...SOMETHING WON'T WORK!!! Thats the only thing you can be positive about, I've had some very good ROMS but they range from device and something is always wrong. I'm done rooting, I've accepted no device is perfect including the almighty IOS, but this phone is damn close. Don't sweat the small stuff, just enjoy the device because this one is very special.

My gf has the biggest breasts and most beautiful face you have ever seen and she is so sweet, but sometimes her posture is bad - do I root her???

ONLY if she gets to root YOU for noticing it & pointing it out... :-*

Seriously, am 100% with u, this phone IS special, and my experience has been EXACTLY like urs.. Rooting gave added functionality but always seemed to reduce some basic, needed feature...

This phone is wayyyyy to perfect to "jack with", ya want something to tinker with, go find an old 8 track tape player...lol

Altho, that wifi notfication does sound maddening....i just don't know how y'all contend with Big Red....Between the branding of the home button, the wifi thingey, the verizon bloatware, the $299.00 price tag and their overpriced plans, its a monthly trip to Crazy Town....

BUT, dint come to bash Verizon, just wanted to agree with ptm88, this phone is so very special , it'd be like getting a brand new beautiful 60 inch LED TV and saying, let me just take off the back and try to tweak it"...lol : )

BTC

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
ONLY if she gets to root YOU for noticing it & pointing it out... :-*

Seriously, am 100% with u, this phone IS special, and my experience has been EXACTLY like urs.. Rooting gave added functionality but always seemed to reduce some basic, needed feature...

This phone is wayyyyy to perfect to "jack with", ya want something to tinker with, go find an old 8 track tape player...lol

Altho, that wifi notfication does sound maddening....i just don't know how y'all contend with Big Red....Between the branding of the home button, the wifi thingey, the verizon bloatware, the $299.00 price tag and their overpriced plans, its a monthly trip to Crazy Town....

BUT, dint come to bash Verizon, just wanted to agree with ptm88, this phone is so very special , it'd be like getting a brand new beautiful 60 inch LED TV and saying, let me just take off the back and try to tweak it"...lol : )

BTC

I stay with Verizon, Well Hmmm there service is the best in my area hands down. I do agree with the bloatware BS though. Honestly if AT&T was better in my area I'd make the switch. I'm loyal to no one. Well just my wife. LOL

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I stopped at a Verizon store to look at the DNA (They didn't have it), but I looked at the two employee's phones. They had the persistent pull-down notification on their phones. I don't think that it's going to bother me as much as it bothered those in the complaints I posted.

The pop-up would drive me insane, but the one that had the SG3 said he was able to disable the pop-up without entering the code, he knew nothing about the code. The other guy had an LG and it too had the persistent notification, so it appears it's something Verizon is adding to select phones since the shared plans started.

As to the comments about root. Rooting alone doesn't usually break anything. All it does is give you more access to the device (like admin access on Windows). When you start adding themes, custom ROMs, kernels, etc, that's when problems can arise.

As I stated, I root mainly because I like the Unix command line. I can have access to the command line without root, but I wouldn't be able to have nearly the same access without it. So rooting isn't always about tweaks, it's also about access.

MiXoLoGiSt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I stopped at a Verizon store to look at the DNA (They didn't have it), but I looked at the two employee's phones. They had the persistent pull-down notification on their phones. I don't think that it's going to bother me as much as it bothered those in the complaints I posted.

The pop-up would drive me insane, but the one that had the SG3 said he was able to disable the pop-up without entering the code, he knew nothing about the code. The other guy had an LG and it too had the persistent notification, so it appears it's something Verizon is adding to select phones since the shared plans started.

As to the comments about root. Rooting alone doesn't usually break anything. All it does is give you more access to the device (like admin access on Windows). When you start adding themes, custom ROMs, kernels, etc, that's when problems can arise.

As I stated, I root mainly because I like the Unix command line. I can have access to the command line without root, but I wouldn't be able to have nearly the same access without it. So rooting isn't always about tweaks, it's also about access.

Yeah I have noticed most of the Verizon phones are starting to do this. If the pop up can't be turned off though I will start punching people in the throat until they turn it off lol. No, if the pop ups bother me I'd just return it and stick with the (oh no, don't say it) iPhone 5.

MiXoLoGiSt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok something I also noticed is no youtube and chrome in multi view as well as no blocking mode. Verizon really crippled these phones.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2