Should I switch to Sprint and get the Note 2 ?

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm slightly tempted by this and want to ask fellow users here of their opinion on this. My current situation is this: I am a Verizon customer and have grandfathered unlimited 4G data when I first got the Thunderbolt. I currently have the Razr Maxx, which Verizon replaced for my defective Thunderbolt. My contract has finally expired this week with Verizon. I'm currently paying Verizon approx $100 monthly for 1 single cell line, no other users, and no other services. I have the Verizon 450 minute plan for talk time, everything else is unlimited.

I went to a Sprint retailer yesterday to check out their Samsung Note 2, and a sales rep made a compelling argument for me to switch. Here are some pros and cons:

PROs:

- If I switch to Sprint, I get to pay the discount price of $299 for the Samsung Note 2 16gb model. Conversely, I'd have to pay full retail price at Verizon to keep my grandfathered unlimited 4G data plan, this sucks!

- The rep says because I belong to a credit union, I will get some type of credit worth approx $100 or $130 which is good through next Friday. Anyone heard of such a thing?

- Sprint's monthly unlimited plan is currently $79.99, which is down from $99.99 a year or so ago. The only minor thing that is limited is that Sprint's land-line talk time of 450 minutes, which won't be a problem for me, otherwise it's unlimited talk time for calling other cell phone lines.

CONs:

- I'm guessing Sprint's "4G" data speed won't be as fast as my current Verizon 4G speed? I'm in San Francisco, California. Can anyone vouch for Sprint's 4G speed?

- If I switch to Sprint, I'm guessing I will lose my Verizon grandfathered unlimited 4G data, so I need to make my decision carefully.

- I fear that Sprint's coverage outside of my normal area might be poor. For example, I used to have Sprint for 10 years, and cancelled my service approx 3 or 4 years ago because whenever I went to another city in the US, my cell phone would not ring if someone tried to call me. Instead, a caller would simply go directly to my voicemail, and this was true even for major cities like Saint Louis and New York City. This same problem from a few years ago applied even for 2 different cell phones. The Sprint rep I spoke with confirmed this was a valid problem a few years ago, but has now been resolved. Can anyone confirm this?

So that's currently the items I'm debating on at this point. Anyone have opinions or advice?

Thanks,
Casey

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
You won't have 4G for quite awhile, that is a wimax city until their lte network comes on.

As far as working in other cities, I had no issues with sprint when I drove from Columbus oh to Dallas when I had sprint, funny you talk of that problem, I have it with Verizon

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
This is obviously a decision you have to make based on your service requirements. I have had Sprint, A Suck & Suck and Verizon. Verizon is best for me service wise although they do tend to be a little more expensive. I too had unlimited data with A Suck & Suck but had to jump ship because of service issues. In any event, I think it's a matter of time before all carriers end the "unlimited" data feature.

If it were me, I'd bite the bullet and pay full retail and keep my unlimited data with Verizon. There is no way Sprint is faster than Verizon at 4G. You have already used Sprint in the past, so why make the same mistake twice?

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm in San Diego, I had Sprint for a number of years for my personal line and VZW for my work phone. I couldn't tell you how many times down here I had to rely on my work phone to make calls when the Sprint phone wouldn't get a signal. I remember 2 years back when I went to Napa for a weekend and had to use my work phone all weekend due to poor Sprint service.

This is definitely something you have to look hard at, I switched from Sprint to VZW for my personal phone shortly after that and haven't looked back. With my work discount I only pay $14 more per month but at least I'm in grandfathered data. I don't mind paying retail to keep it, or waiting a month or 2 after release when I can buy it off Craigslist or Ebay for $100+ off retail.

Ds Note 2 Sprint

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I had the same dilemma leaving hi-rizon I mean verizon to sprint. I only paid $80 for the $299 sg note 2 trade in worth $125 plus $100 discount for free unit for home service same plan as my note 450 landline minutes plus unlimited talk to any carrier last unlimited text to any carrier! Obtw a decrease over $100 on my bill.

My con:
Poor 3g signals in my SC areas. No telling when 4g available. Foxfi doesn't work on sprint. :p

Da Note 2 on Sprint jellybean user

Jocelyn84

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
My opinion is don't switch, but I'd like to add a few things that may or may not make the decision easier. I'm currently on Sprint with the GNII, but this is only because I'm on Sero Premium ($50 total before taxes) and I also force my phone's voice & 3G to roam on Verizon through a PRL change. This cannot be done for any kind of 4g.
Something you may be overlooking is that you can get the same $79.99 package for $69.99 ($59.99 + $10 Premium data addon) through Sprint's Everything Plus Referral Program, which is located at Sprint.com/sero. If you decided the monthly savings to be worth it and don't mind waiting for SF to get Sprint's LTE (I've read March 2013), just enter Russ.S.McGuire@Sprint.com & 383 at the site I listed above and off you go. I mentioned the EPRP plan in the hopes to save you $10 a month in case you were switching to Sprint, not to confuse you further or make the decision even tougher.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
You won't have 4G for quite awhile, that is a wimax city until their lte network comes on.

As far as working in other cities, I had no issues with sprint when I drove from Columbus oh to Dallas when I had sprint, funny you talk of that problem, I have it with Verizon

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Lte is already underway in the bay area just not 100% complete I was in the same boat u are I was a former vzw customer loved the coverage HATED the price. But my aunt talked me into switching and I'm not looking back. Seeing sprint CSR I realized how much a holes most vzw csr can be

Sent from my EPIC WHITE SGS2 Rockin CM10 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you call Verizon first and explain to them or customer retention your situation and opportunity to go with sprint and ask them if you could keep your unlimited data. You may be surprised. Worth a try at least. I know of a few people that has managed it. I here about it on the forums quite a bit.

If your data is important to ya I would stick with Verizon for now. If Verizon doesn't bend for ya buy it out right.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone, and thanks for your replies, much appreciated! I just now realized something the other day. My 2 year contract termination date is actually later on 3/17/2013. I got this date mixed up with my device upgrade eligibility date which was 11/17/2012. Aaaaargh!! I confirmed this with a Verizon customer service rep who also said I'd have to pay a $150 penalty for early contract termination. What to do, what to do? Well, worst case is I just continue using my Motorola Razr Maxx, which I actually like. I was starting to have "size" envy though, haha! I am still a bit unsure about going from Verizon to Sprint as I don't know if any cost saving is worth it. Based on most replies here, people are saying to avoid Sprint.

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
i am verizon. to get a new phone lost my unlimited. worst mistake of my life. so much crap on new phones they are data hogs. i never went over 2g, now after one mo it is 4g for same pattern of useage. i am in process of selling s3 , buy out of contract and go to any carrier that is unlimited. constantly looking at settings, data usage took all the fun out of the phone and 4g. cant use 4g constantly looking for wifi which isnt 4g. tmobile $89.99 unlimited is probably where i am headed. cutting my losses and frustration

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

Ds Note 2 Sprint

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I had the maxx on verizon now have the note 2 on sprint poor 3g in my area and the hotspot app foxfi is BLOCKED by sprint a app I enjoyed on verizon. However my data seems to be unlimited to a degree it slows down as well but don't know if its from the poor signal (have it set to roam which is FREE on my unlimited everything plan) or because I've reached my gb limit cap which drops the data speeds to 1x a shame carriers have to block services. I'd gladly pay the extra I paid on verizon on sprint for the uncapped data speeds. I left verizon because my contract ended but Verizon wouldn't allow me to upgrade to their note 2 with my unlimited data plan. Again saves me over $100 a month. So weigh every option before changing! If I could do it over I'd prolly leave to tmobile its 4g here but no good discount deals on their note 2 $320 on their tmobile site think $249 on wirefly.com.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I had the maxx on verizon now have the note 2 on sprint poor 3g in my area and the hotspot app foxfi is BLOCKED by sprint a app I enjoyed on verizon. However my data seems to be unlimited to a degree it slows down as well but don't know if its from the poor signal (have it set to roam which is FREE on my unlimited everything plan) or because I've reached my gb limit cap which drops the data speeds to 1x a shame carriers have to block services. I'd gladly pay the extra I paid on verizon on sprint for the uncapped data speeds. I left verizon because my contract ended but Verizon wouldn't allow me to upgrade to their note 2 with my unlimited data plan. Again saves me over $100 a month. So weigh every option before changing! If I could do it over I'd prolly leave to tmobile its 4g here but no good discount deals on their note 2 $320 on their tmobile site think $249 on wirefly.com.

Its plenty of working WiFi hotspot apps that work besides foxfi and plus U CAN STILL GET FOXFI!!! ALL U HAVE TO DO IS SIDE LOAD IT USING THE WEB

Ds Note 2 Sprint

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I need to add I am not rooted nor plan to be, (which I have thought about it but don't want to ruin my note 2). I did download it from the website of foxfi not Google play & no IT DOESN'T WORK I think it connected one time through Bluetooth now it won't anymore. As for other apps don't work either. I'm not trying to use it through Bluetooth for tablets I was using netflix streaming via foxfi's wifi hotspot. It stays not compatible to jellybean, sprint users can download on their website but for older versions I believe it also warns not to update to the jellybean. Besides foxfi developers are aware and trying to find a work around for jellybean users.

Can u please list a few other wifi tether apps prolly have used them and uninstalled cause didn't work with roku netflix player

Thx for the replies

Jocelyn84

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I need to add I am not rooted nor plan to be, (which I have thought about it but don't want to ruin my note 2). I did download it from the website of foxfi not Google play & no IT DOESN'T WORK I think it connected one time through Bluetooth now it won't anymore. As for other apps don't work either. I'm not trying to use it through Bluetooth for tablets I was using netflix streaming via foxfi's wifi hotspot. It stays not compatible to jellybean, sprint users can download on their website but for older versions I believe it also warns not to update to the jellybean. Besides foxfi developers are aware and trying to find a work around for jellybean users.

Can u please list a few other wifi tether apps prolly have used them and uninstalled cause didn't work with roku netflix player

Thx for the replies

How does rooting "ruin your phone"? If you need to return it or get your phone serviced, you Odin back to stock then unroot.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmmmmm. Based on an informal survey, it seems everyone thinks Sprint S*cks, and I should stay with Verizon especially for the grandfathered unlimited 4G. Am I reading this right?

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well here is my experience with Sprint. Right now, I have the Galaxy S3 on Sprint. I live in Los Angeles, and my reception is spotty - at best. The data speeds are pretty inconsistent. I have to have a Sprint cell tower in my apartment, connected to my router, in order to get any reception at home. I have the unlimited data plan, however, my data speeds are so slow, and so inconsistent that it really doesn't matter. 3G is pretty slow, and when I had the EVO 4G the WIMAX speeds were pretty slow.

So whenever Verizon ship my pre-ordered Galaxy Note II, I will be ending my "unlimited data" plan with Sprint, opting for the bit more pricey, yet better data speeds (I have the Xoom on Verizon) service of Verizon.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
that's HIS situation your situation might be different PEOPLE ITS BASED ON LOCATION PERIOD. and rooting takes max 5 min to do. And real easy just watch some YouTube videos of qbking and basically u gonna have to root if u want to tether for free. Otherwise pay sprint

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC