$30 Upgrade fee?

fyrekraker

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
This is something new since the last time I bought a phone. Apparently in April they decided to charge an extra $30 if you upgrade, unless you pay full retail. So the $299 GN2 is really $329. Anyone else find this a little annoying or have I just been living under a rock sine the last time I upgraded? Do the other carriers do this now too?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I was told the activation fee for me would be $45.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Activation was $36.....didn't know they went up on this. And usually the store manager will/can waive the fee. They will charge it, but give a credit back in the same amount.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
So what exactly is the fee covering if you are simply upgrading your line. What a joke these carriers are with their price gouging, clueless cs reps.

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
There's always been an upgrade fee, but they never really enforced it. I guess now it's unavoidable :/

OffSpot2

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Considering the retail price they want for this thing, I will be sure to ask if activation fees are included, then go from there. Thanks for the heads-up.

fyrekraker

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
The fee has nothing to do with activation, I was told it started in April of this year. The fee is for network maintenence etc, bla, bla, bla. If you try to order online $30 will be added, itemized as "upgrade fee". I suppose it's the same as a $600 documentation fee when buying a car :p
I caled in this morning to inquire about it, she also told me the fee is assessed at the store if you choose to go that route.
Sprint is giving this phone away with a 2yr contract, and VZW is adding $30 on the already $300 higher price than it's competitor, kinda makes you wonder..

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
If you are buying at full retail, there is no $30 upgrade fee. They only bone ya when you get the subsidized pricing.

XXI

May 17, 2010
Visit site
They used to give a $100 credit after 2yrs on contract if you upgrade again now they got rid of that and charge $30, kinda dumb. I think they spent so much money on new 4G LTE that they are getting rid of unlimited Data and charging this stupid fee. I have been with VZ since they started as Airtouch and they show me no gratitude for being a long lasting customer. I would leave if I knew there was a Wireless Company with better coverage.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
They used to give a $100 credit after 2yrs on contract if you upgrade again now they got rid of that and charge $30, kinda dumb. I think they spent so much money on new 4G LTE that they are getting rid of unlimited Data and charging this stupid fee. I have been with VZ since they started as Airtouch and they show me no gratitude for being a long lasting customer. I would leave if I knew there was a Wireless Company with better coverage.

It's just a matter of time before the "unlimited data" goes away.

Bosgarage57

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
If I knew there was a Wireless Company with better coverage.

And this is why they can charge $30 for activation........People are still staying with VZW and more are coming because of the coverage. Until other companies can match VZW, they dont have too much to worry about. It bothers me we dont even have the Note2 yet, and Sprint customers are getting them from $150 or $200.

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they are changing their pricing structure and increasing fees because of 4g. I'm pretty sure they were already making a great deal of profit prior to 4g. They just know that they have no real competition right now :/

volsfan0911

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
.... It bothers me we dont even have the Note2 yet, and Sprint customers are getting them from $150 or $200.

Yes, it's depressing isn't it? My wife asked why you could get the GS3 for $50 today on T-Mob but VZW still has it proudly marked at $199 in their store. My answer was if T-Mob had decent coverage we'd be there. Unfortunately, I'd be out of luck about 1/2 the places I travel with them.......... :(

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
i called today and complained about how my pre-order status page originally showed a ship date of 11/16 and then changed to "unavailable at this time"

CSR posted a $30 credit to my account to cancel out the upgrade fee

Bosgarage57

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Vols fan? Live in TN? Im in Knoxville :)

I havent even preordered my note 2 yet, I've waited this long, I just wonder when (IF) they will mark it down from 299 to 199. Went into the at&t store the other day to mess with one, and the note1 is still priced pretty high.

volsfan0911

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Vols fan? Live in TN? Im in Knoxville :)

LMAO - yeah, noticed that. Class of '91 for my second degree (UT memphis). From Jackson/Memphis originally and have spent more than my fair share of Saturday afternoons in Neyland with 108,000 of my closest friends. :cool: Die hard fan for life and definitely bleed orange. Getting beat by Vandy hurt. Big question now is who does Dave Hart hire? As he said, gotta get this one right. We're already $20 million in debt to coaches we fired (Pearl, Fat Boy and now Dooley). Pretty ridiculous................

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX